KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Boinc behave?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Making Boinc behave? Reply with quote

Can the amount of work Boinc downloads for projects be made to behave itself? I have played with the settings, both Boinc general prefs and project prefs now both set at 0.5 days + 0.5 . But the downloads still exceed these limits on both Einstein and Pogs and about 5 days 24-7 and this machine isn't 24-7.

I shan't go into Prime grid again, I have never had to cancel so many units, it was absolutely ridiculous.
It isn't such a big problem with Einstein , I stop it downloading for a few days and let the time limit extend but Pogs is still a problem and the same solution hasn't cured it.
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately work downloads are calculated by the internal scheduler of the Boinc client and can't be configured manually.

So if there are more than 1 active projects the scheduler calculates the download based on the settings and some project parameters.

What I've seen is: the more you'll try to tune the download or stop projects or temporarily halt projects the scheduler will be irritated and is behaving stranger than before. So if you leave the Boinc client untouched with his settings and scheduler it should work out after a few days.

Maybe an account manager like BAM can catch your needs in a better way ...... http://boincstats.com/en/bam/

Cheers

HoC

Mastrumistulo de Kameloto

(also a Member of the Migratory Coconuts)

'My name is Homer from Borg. Resistance is fu ..... Oh doughnuts!'

branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[s]What version of BOINC are you using? AFAIK (and from my own experiences), the v7's are dealing quite good with this issue.[/s]

ETA: Try setting (1) projects "Resource share" (in "Preferences for this project") to zero and/or (2) 0.5 days + 0.0

Last edited by branjo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hoc but sadly leaving it for days hasn't cured the problem. but you might have identified my problem.
Is Pogs, primegrid calculating on the, graphics, shared fourth CPU being used by Einstein?

I will try our Bam thanks for the heads up. Very Happy
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Boinc behave? Reply with quote

Bullocks wrote:
Can the amount of work Boinc downloads for projects be made to behave itself? I have played with the settings, both Boinc general prefs and project prefs now both set at 0.5 days + 0.5 . But the downloads still exceed these limits on both Einstein and Pogs and about 5 days 24-7 and this machine isn't 24-7.

I shan't go into Prime grid again, I have never had to cancel so many units, it was absolutely ridiculous.
It isn't such a big problem with Einstein , I stop it downloading for a few days and let the time limit extend but Pogs is still a problem and the same solution hasn't cured it.

Why so high? Isn't the default 0.25 and 0? Try 0.1 and 0.

(older, before split CPID)
Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Making Boinc behave? Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:

Why so high? Isn't the default 0.25 and 0? Try 0.1 and 0.

Just tried that, when I reset it downloaded some more WUs Shocked

Currently it stands at 19 WU's Einstein most around the 8 hour mark = one processor

Pogs 150 + mostly 2h 40m+ = three available processors

Boinc version 7.2.42(x64)

53 pogs will need to be completed within 48 hours, I will leave it 24-7 so it should just, but only if my son doesn't play games(not likely)

I have no luck with technology, ever when using stones as counters they shattered into small pieces and it's been one disaster after another. My Abacus had odd numbers of beads in each row, the Babbage machine ate our dog andI am dreading neural nets, I shudder when I consider where it'll end up being attached. Trousers might be a no go.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried 0 and 0?

Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
Have you tried 0 and 0?

Whoops, I just did. Silly me. More work downloaded for both

Anyhow I have come to the conclusion that the Boinc program is female and have stopped trying to argue with her. As a long time married man I know when I am beat.

Just gonna mean it runs more and does more work, I'll get my first million quicker and she is probably getting bored and wants to multitask more often.
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And before I let her download any more WU;s I am going to alter my prefs to allocate only 1 processor to pogs. . It's just a little a white lie.

I'll change it back when she is isn't looking. Wink
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few projects that send more work than wanted but I haven't seen anything as bad as that. Confused

There are a lot (too many) places for settings, though. At each host, at each project, at the BAM manager, through BoincTasks. Makes it hard to track down a wayward setting, if that's what it is. At times I found a weird setting that I know I would never have entered, change it, only to see it return. I suspect it's a value the project admins think is peachy and somehow inject it into preferences. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: