KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

muon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: muon Reply with quote

stephenbrooks.org › Forum › Muon1 › General › Project offline while I move to the US
Username: Password:

Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2013-10-18 22:12:23 Some time this Monday (21st October) I will switch off the stats server - currently my home PC - so that it can be shipped to the US. I'll send it by air freight but the main delay is whether the Brookhaven Laboratory network will play nicely with FTP or not. The worst case is that I can't run the stats until I've moved into my own apartment (~2 months). The best case would be stats back up in about 2 weeks.

So it's up to you how to handle this. You may run in offline mode and then dump results when it comes back up (and I will find a way ). Or you can take a muon holiday and try other projects, the LHC has a good one on monte carlo particle collision analysis.

This warning is also so that you can upload any results you want credit for before the statistics freeze.

Sorry for the inconvenience - moving to another country is a bit tricky administratively!
Zerberus
2013-10-18 23:20:53 No problem, take your time. I'll take a little muon time off and do other projects in the meantime.

Will flush the remaining results ASAP.
[OcUK]diogenese
2013-10-19 09:11:43 I have done the emigration thing myself and from experience some stuff can lose it's priority when you are trying to adjust to a new normal
my low power borgs will probably stay on but I think my main cruncher may find someting else to do for a bit. Enjoy the move!
Stephen Brooks
2013-10-21 12:09:49 Stats now stopped.
K`Tetch
2013-10-21 22:00:20 For those worried, any results you do send should still be counted, EVENTUALLY.

Three of the four current results servers are still running and should take your results when generated. normally, the stats server will then pull the results from these, but since it's not going to be online, it won't.

There are no promises about the intermediate results servers, as a multi-week hold may swallow up a lot of disc space, but the transfer method is a positive-response one (meaning unless everything checks out, it won't mark a transfer as completed)
You can keep an eye on the server stats on the server stats page

OR you can set your config files to continue offline.
Stephen Brooks
2013-10-23 18:53:13 The air freight has been loaded today, estimated arrival in US in 7-14 working days, which is 2013-Nov-01 to 2013-Nov-12. I still have to find out about FTP/network issues, though, plus factor in the time to set it up correctly.
Stephen Brooks
2013-10-24 20:57:03 Found some information on the FTP issue here. Looks hopeful: as long as the FTP is initiated from inside the network it's OK. I can't run a server but I couldn't at the previous lab either: that's why the stats server runs an hourly batch system.

[edit] Just did a test of FTP scripting from here in my web backup utility. Just needed the proxying as per that page, plus "quote pasv" immediately after logging in to activate passive mode.

[edit2] Hmm, it's working *intermittently*. Asking network guys about it.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.org
Yahoo: scrutney_mallard
Jabber: stephenbrooksstrudel characterjabber.org
Twitter: stephenjbrooks

Site has had 11333281 accesses.

Regds Grizzly

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KWSN Ekky
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should come here more often. Then I might know what is happening Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: