KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARDWARE for sale or trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: nvidia gtx 560 TI Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these laying around for sale?

While I think about it, could we get a new forum section for hardware? A bunch of us run multiple shrubbers and occasionally upgrade, and I'm sure others are looking for the occasional piece to help them make more shrubs. We could advertise what we have available or as I'm doing, looking to see if anyone has something available. After some research it appears this is the strongest video card I can put in my linux box.

#ni-2
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18049
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That my friend, is a perfect example. I just ordered a sata drive the other day for the new beast. I plan to take boinc off the ssd and put it on hdd. That drive would have been perfect. If we can get a subforum just for stuff like this it will make horse trading much easier!

#ni-1
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594
In stock at Newegg,
but there are used ones under $100 (If you can trust the EBay-er)
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more stuff, but no really GOOD stuff
I am but a meager Shrubber, doing what I can...
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have Power Supplies, typically 500-750 range
Have 3 now, 1 new
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the one at newegg. Found a zotac elsewhere for about $20 less. Figured I'd try in house first before scoping out ebay. I'd rather trust one of us. I have to go poking for a bigger power supply too. Which means I'll have one available at some point too.
bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: HARDWARE for sale or trade Reply with quote

By request here is a thread especially for selling, trading, or whatever... I'll make it sticky so it'll stay at the top.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir BPowe!
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So digging through old stuff trying to organize and make more room by getting rid of stuff. I have a socket 478 motherboard. You can slap a 3.4 Ghz P4 in there on the cheap, not state of the art, but a decent workhorse. I have three tubes of noctua thermal compound if anyone else here builds. I use prolimatech pk-3 myself but the big noctua coolers always come with a large tube of it. I have an old shrubber i'm not going to fully rebuild. It is a dell 531s. power spike (the ups spiked when the batteries died, not the line) took out the power supply in it. just slapped a new seasonic in it. It's an athlon x2 something or other. No dvd or hard drive in it right now. It can be set to boot from usb which is fine if it is just a shrubber. If you absolutely have to have a hard drive I'm sure the cooler for it is around here somewhere and I may be able to find an old drive to toss in there. I have a couple of dvd drives that I have no use for as there are ide and not sata. I have a couple of ide hard drives floating around as well that need a use - no good to be sitting around. I have some older network switches and an older netgear dsl modem. I have a nice actiontec dsl modem up for grabs (I've gone open-wrt). At some point as I build new stuff I have a q6600 machine that may become available. It's running the latest fedora and is shrubbing away happily. If you are looking for something from this post just send me a message via llama express. I'm frequently bored out here too so if you want something custom built we can work something out.

#ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F1309-parting-out-30-pcs-03-17-2014%2F

LOTS of good stuff available here if you need parts. He just got 30 machines to part out.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankton wrote:
http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F1309-parting-out-30-pcs-03-17-2014%2F

LOTS of good stuff available here if you need parts. He just got 30 machines to part out.

I'm snagging one - I asked for i7 and 8GB RAM - He offered:

Intel i7-3770K Quad Core Processor with Hyper Threading (8 Threads)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (has a good assortment of slots for versatility.
(Two (2) PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, Two (2) PCIe x1 Slots, and Two (2) PCI Slots))
It also has Four (4) SATA 6GB/s Ports and Four (4) SATA 3GB/s Ports :^)
For RAM,an 8GB Kit (2x 4g)

Including shipping, maybe $500

I am tired of sitting in the shadows! Grrrr!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good deal. 3770k is a nice cpu and goes for $330 new by itself. A very good deal. Did you snag a power supply and gpu while you were at it?
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankton wrote:
That is a good deal. 3770k is a nice cpu and goes for $330 new by itself. A very good deal. Did you snag a power supply and gpu while you were at it?

I have my 750w for now - Should handle one OK - When I buy a second GPU (Purchasing separately), then I'll get a bigger P/S - This is just MLB, CPU and RAM - I'm getting the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028 FTW you mentioned... One next month, and one following Month - Fixed income here...
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3770k, if you use it at stock speeds (The K series is meant for overclockers) uses 166 watts at full load (on a typical mATX motherboard without powering lots of other oddball stuff (tons of fans or whatnot) - Closer to 190 watts on a full blown motherboard. The 750TI uses another 60 watts. Figure 250 watts. Depending on other gear a 350 watt supply should be plenty.

Your 750 is overkill for that setup. 3770k moderately overclocked is pushing around 290 watts, plus an additional 60 for the gpu. 350 watts. Go with a 500 watt supply to account for other extras and such.

The 750 will work fine but will be out of its efficiency zone. This is a bit overhyped though. You don't lose as much as they like to advertise if you are out of the zone.

It's not a haswell either so it should be safer to overclock and butt heads with primegrid. If you aren't cozy with it it's still a great chip at stock speeds.

CPU cooler. I always like to go overboard on this. Noctua NH-D14 is my favorite air cooler. Check out the coolermaster haf-x case. My linux box is in one, with some BIG aftermarket fans. Very quiet. Very easy to use case. Looks purty. Thermal compound I like prolimatech but there are lots of great options.

What are you plans for for it so far?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: