KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU PotM October 2013 => Climate Prediction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: CPU PotM October 2013 => Climate Prediction Reply with quote

Quote:
Our computer models simulate the climate for the next century, producing predictions of temperature, rainfall and the probability of extreme weather events. The more models that are run, the more evidence we gather on climate change.

Investigate the approximations that have to be made in state-of-the-art climate models. By running the model thousands of times we hope to find out how the model responds to slight tweaks to these approximations - slight enough to not make the approximations any less realistic. This will allow us to improve our understanding of how sensitive our models are to small changes and also to things like changes in carbon dioxide and the sulphur cycle.

http://climateprediction.net/

It has been a long time since Climate Prediction was PotM. This project looks more complicated than the average with 11 sub-projects to chose from in your preferences , but only 1 of 5 currently has WU's? (The number of projects should help with WU Prop badges.)

I already downloaded one of the monster work units I was hoping to avoid, claiming 324 hours 'til completion? Hope PoohBear27 or other climate experts gives us advice on how best to run this project.

Starting stats:
13th place
107,627,896 total points
15,314. daily average during past week
8,505 RAC, 27th place
10th place Formula Boinc, 9,085,783 points 2013
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ater 8.5 hrs of runtime i have hit my first trickle on 2 of the 4 units I'm currently running. They are all UK Met Office Coupled Model Full Resolution Ocean v6.07 WUs

apparently they trickle every 25,920 timesteps

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about CPDN is they trickle at set steps (depends on the model itself). You get credit for those trickles returned, so even if a WU errors, you will get points as long as a trickle has been returned.

Models do crash at times. It is because they sometimes hit a situation that would not happen. These are still good for the project to get back. Many times they crash when it creates a storm or some other anomaly that would not really happen or would cause too much memory being used.

There are several types of units, sizes vary. I have not run them in a while so I am unsure of the current running units and their run times.

Since the main programming for all of this is FORTRAN, there is really no advantages with processor extensions. So things like AVX, etc really do not play into the picture.

Memory is a need for this project. Since they are performing a lot of weather modeling, it can take quite a bit of memory to load oceans, land, etc. My suggestion is on HT machines only run them at their normal cores, do not use HT cores. So 4x2 use 4, 6x2 use 6, etc, if you have enough memory to run that many. A C2Q runs 4 models at about the same speed as a 1st or 2nd Gen i7 at same speeds. I have not run a 3rd or 4th Gen chip on this yet, so unsure if there is any significant help with the better CACHE memories. I am sure there is some, but not as much as some would expect.

I will get on it after the PG challenge on 4-OCT through 9-OCT.

Good luck in this project. If you let it, it can be a hair puller, but all work returned is useful for them to continue building new models.

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't shrubbed CP yet. I'm a little concerned about the talk of memory use. Just how much is needed per core? One of my PhenomIIx6 shrubbers has 8GB. The other one has 16GB but currently shrubbing Asteroids and Edges is using 14.5GB since it's my general use machine with other stuff running. It tends to lock up if I open a several more windows as it is. I'll switch the quads over when they clear their current caches.

(older, before split CPID)
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running 7 of the Haccm3n WU's on an I7 CPU (4 cores and 8 threads) with 12 GB memory. (Poem GPU is taking up the 8th CPU thread.) These are large "full resolution ocean" WU's estimated at 320+ hours each. As far as memory, the resource monitor is saying 46% physical memory being used in total. Based on that it appears 1GB memory per WU should cover it, but might not want to go below that for Haccm3n WU's. Checkpointing is active so I'm not too concerned about the time to completion, although don't think I want to run any more of these...
stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after plowing ahead recklessly and discounting Sir Pooh's advice about hyperthreading, I have realized that my computer is indeed not 'special' and cannot avoid errors whilst running many instances. So, I am trying out a new tactic. I'm testing using a app_config file to limit concurrent WUs running at once. So far, today I have not gotten an error and I'm still HT-ing. I am only running 4 climate WUs at once, but I can back-fill with another project using the back-up project feature (resource share of 0%).

Here's my file:
Code:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>hadcm3n</name>
<max_concurrent>4</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Granted, this only works for the Full Ocean hadcm3n WUs, will need to add more lines for different apps. We'll see how this pans out.

>stats<
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only have 2 physical cores, but was running 4 CP to start with and had no errors. Cut it down to 1 for now so i can focus on PG, but after will prolly go back to running all 4 since i haven't had any probs yet. Builds up more points if i can run 4 anyways #ni-1

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrubbing this project is almost as exciting as watching paint dry.

(older, before split CPID)
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are long units, but you get credit every so often when they trickle up. Better than sitting 10 days on an SOB and it dying at 99.xx% and getting 0.

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10/4/2013 2:19:12 PM | PrimeGrid | Not requesting tasks: project is not highest priority.

Gaaarg! How do I get around this! Confused
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to stop and start boinc again. I think that still works. I just let it snag something else for a day and then let it get back on track.
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one model i left running through the PG challenge has completed only 23% or ~243,000 timesteps. Looking at the runtime it has used to get here. 4 days 10 hrs etc. there are still ~790,000 timesteps left to be completed. These will most likely run into next month but at least I'm getting points every so often

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first units should download here this afternoon, since if I grabbed the PG ones it would go past the end time (taking about 26 hours to complete and just about 24 hours left on the project).

I plan on pulling 20 units total and finishing them as well as I can before moving on. Hoping to get my 5000 hours in WUProp. I am just grabbing the large ones. Let's see how this goes.

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:

I like watching paint dry...

Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:

Well, try PrimeGrid, GFN World Record on HD 7750: 1.8% done in 8 hours. The drying paint is Speedy Gonzales compared to it #ni-2

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, try PrimeGrid, GFN World Record on HD 7750: 1.8% done in 8 hours.

Wow, what was the total time - or izzit still running?
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the "peeling paint" I'm surprised Climate Prediction doesn't get more votes in the PotM. Almost 60 Knights have shrubbed it in the last week! Shocked Let's see if production increases now that the PG Challenge is over - 15.3K daily average at beginning of the month, 33.7K average over past week (including the challenge).

'Stones:
Banned passed 1,000,000
LanDroid 80,000
FloydPepper 40,000
Sir Mifun Fat in a Right Place passed 20,000
Stuart 10,000
Gemjunkie[TeaM] 9,000 <= Go Gem Go! Razz
Plomos passed 8,000
Keegan 5,000
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
Quote:
Well, try PrimeGrid, GFN World Record on HD 7750: 1.8% done in 8 hours.

Wow, what was the total time - or izzit still running?

Now it is on 7.25% after 31.5 hours #ni-1

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no...Out of work? We're cursed!
#Mad
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled down another WU and my machine will chew on that while I am away next week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: