KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mostly a Pissed Off how BOINC screws you over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Mostly a Pissed Off how BOINC screws you over Reply with quote

BOINC pisses me off. I added a new project, and only added Default and Work to the new project, because those were the only machines I was putting over there.

Damn it if BOINC didn't force my Home and School to Default since I didn't make them over on the new project, so my machines went crazy downloading a ton of extra work, using processors I had idle, etc.

I know how to fix this next time, but it's rare that I add a project. I need create the project on the website. Update an old project on all 4 Computing Preferences (since these update with the last projected that made the change) and the add computers to the new project.

STUPID. I only added 2 systems to the new project on Default and Work, but yet Home and School got totally messed up because the new project had them set as default.

I wish you could set a project at the PRIMARY project and all projects, even new ones follow those settings.

I also need more than 4 preferences but that's besides the point.

I just trashed over 200 WUs because it downloaded days worth when it was only set to .25 days. Why did it download like 10 or more days worth?!?! Ugh.

[edit]Edited for correctness of trashed units from about 50 to over 200

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By contrast, F@H allows only one WU to be downloaded at a time (per folding 'slot').
When an active WU reaches >= 99% complete, another WU is downloaded (or queued for that slot).

I don't understand why BOINC is designed to have its donors pre-load a bunch of WUs (kinda like "batch-mode").

What happens to those unprocessed (or completed but unsent) WUs in case a donor has an unfortunate, significant crash (major hardware malfunction, natural disaster, etc)?

I can see a small-ish benefit to that approach, however, in that your system doesn't need to have consistent, on-demand online connectivity in order to continue crunching despite intermittent comm errors.
But the reality is that most people now have broadband, high-speed WiFi, or even DSL connectivity - which, in most cases, tends to be much more reliable and robust than dial-up modem access.

The downside to this approach, is that it allows for WU hoarding.
I have seen quite a number of ping-pongs about "plenty of work" notices, shortly followed by "lack of work" notices for various projects.
Could this be symptomatic of hoarding?
And maybe that is the prevailing strategy - an early-bird-gets-the-worm attitude.
That reminds me of a coarse but clever table prayer: "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; he who's quickest gets the most!"

I'm not trying to be critical of BOINC - I am merely curious.
I am just asking if anyone can explain the rationale or benefit(s) behind this WU batch-queuing approach (vs a one-at-a-time, serialized approach).

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mostly a Pissed Off how BOINC screws you over Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
BOINC pisses me off...

Confucius wrote:
It is better to be pissed-off than to be pissed-on.

#ni-1

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: