KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPUs for shrubbing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: GPUs for shrubbing Reply with quote

I'm considering a new build and one of the questions in my mind is the GPU. I've recently been going with purely ATI and am familiar with them and like them, but I have often wanted to get on board with Cuda. The new build will replace the current all-around family shrubber and the others will be cascaded down. So I won't be getting rid of my ATIs all-together.

Question is: what is the the current price/shrubs nvidia card out there? I don't need uber power for gaming. Just a good average card that can do most stuff and still shrub a good shrub. I'm considering the 660ti.

What are your thoughts? Or should I forget about it and stick with ATI? question

>stats<
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking for a new Nvidia card last knight. I'm looking at New Egg and it looks like if I was to be buying it would be in the $350-400 range.

But I have learned not to buy less than 1st or 2nd tier cards....
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Nvidia "fanboy", I can recommend the 660ti for two reasons:

1) Generally, Nvidia seems to have more powerful 'cores' (Radeon-speak = stream processors).
On a one-for-one (core-for-core) basis, the Nvidia card will mop the floor with ATI.
ATI just adds more 'cores' and memory to compensate.
ATI seems to be much better (smoother/stable) for gaming applications (and some video trans-coding apps?), but in hard-core GPU computing, Nvidia seems to pull ahead quite easily.

2) Depending on the project you intend to shrub, ATI might have an advantage, though.
Quite often, the scientific programming design is optimized & refined on one architecture (either ATI or Nvidia), and then modified & retro-fitted to the other.
Retro-fitted apps are rarely as efficient as the original.
I think that Nvidia is providing better support/tools for DC/HPC developers.
So watch the projects to see which card is first-out-of-the-gate!

I have 3 GTX-560ti cards myself (purchased last spring - couldn't resist the plummeting price) - and I love them.
The 660ti should be faster & less power-hungry than the 560ti.

One observation. Although F@H started-out with ATI, once Nvidia came aboard, the greenies are starting to leave the reddies in the dust.
There has been some unsubstantiated rumor & wild speculation that F@H may drop new development for ATI cards - for whatever THAT is worth.

If possible (and you decide to go with the Nvidia card), choose a solid brand-name - like EVGA, ASUS, or MSI.
Also, try to avoid the SOC or FTW versions - they WILL burn-out faster.
Also, I highly recommend purchasing it from MicroCenter (if there's one where you live).
MicroCenter is VERY competitive with NewEgg - and they will generally give you a free or low-cost 2-year replacement warranty.

If MicroCenter is not a viable option, I would recommend the EVGA brand, bypass the NewEgg replacement plan, and sign-up directly with EVGA for their 'premium' warranty/replacement plan.
Too many gripes on NewEgg about RMAs and warranties.
Dealing directly with the manufacturer (and choosing their 'better' or 'best' warranty plan) will often get problems resolved more quickly.

PS - SOC & FTW versions are great for gaming, though - if you're only gaming for a few hours a day.
But the rigors of DC/HPC will really stress-out the temp thresholds of any GPU.
If you plan to do a lot of shrubbing, stick with something that is not factory-clocked more than 10-15% over the reference model.
(unless you plan on full-water-block cooling your card, then FTW is the way to go).

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the comparison boards somebody said that the Nvidia 660ti will NOT do open CL. I don't know if that is true but you really should check it out. I was a breath away from buying one today for $299 at new egg, till I read that. Now I'm just gonna wait...
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
On one of the comparison boards somebody said that the Nvidia 660ti will NOT do open CL. I don't know if that is true but you really should check it out. I was a breath away from buying one today for $299 at new egg, till I read that. Now I'm just gonna wait...

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that Nvidia did relent (in the past year) and did agree to implement Open/CL.
I think that this will be rolled-out on Kepler cards - I don't think they will try to retro-fit Open/CL onto Fermi or Tesla.

BOINC had a hand in influencing Nvidia in this regard (I think).
F@H was also griping to Nvidia about this, too.
ATI - to their credit - was strongly pushing Open/CL (maybe because their CCC environment sucked worse than CUDA - and they knew it).

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far guys. The 660ti stood out for me because it was at my price point (if I stretch it a little and am able to convince the wife) while still having some good numbers. Not having a huge power hog will allow me to perhaps add another card in the future.

It's been a while since I tried two cards in one box. Before, I had to rig up a dummy plug and work some voodoo. Is this still the case? Will I still lose the cursor to the right of the screen if I veer to far off course?

And Papa, the $299 crowd is exactly where I was looking as well. As far as stores, I have nothing within 50 minutes of home and no Microcenters anywhere close. I'll probably be going with the Egg for most of the components.

>stats<
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stooper101 wrote:

It's been a while since I tried two cards in one box. Before, I had to rig up a dummy plug and work some voodoo. Is this still the case? Will I still lose the cursor to the right of the screen if I veer to far off course?

I have never used a dummy plug. I have 3 Nvidia 9800 gtx+ in one box with no monitor, and a 5870 & 5970 in this box.
If your mouse is going off to the right you must change your display properties from "Extended display" to another setting. I just change it to extended when I want to stream to the TV.

#ni-1
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to replace a video card in a system I have. It currently runs a NVidia GTX 640. but want to kick it up some. Issue is I have a small PS, so I need to stay within that constraint. The PS is 460W. I'd prefer to stay with NVidia, but might be persuaded if there is enough evidence to it, to move to AMD.

Thoughts?
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS is really small. Replace it. What other to recommend?

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without changing your power supply, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028

GTX 750 TI FTW

Uses only 5 more watts but is significantly more powerful.

Check out:

http://www.hwcompare.com/17304/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-geforce-gtx-750-ti/
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the GTX 750 TI. Let's see how well she works.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the FTW edition. It has MUCH better cooling and since you will likely be stress testing the card...

#ni-1
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for some dumb reason I got the 780 TI SC. Instead of playing around with returns and maybe restocking charges I do not want, I'll utilize the card. Actually it has been running for over 1.5 days. I am trying a GFN WR at factory set speeds (I expect it to fail, but we will see). It's on track for 12.5 days, which I am not super impressed, as my 645 does them in 18 days. I have not had much experience in playing with clock speeds, nor do I know what the default speeds of a 780 TI are. So a little help in this area would be nice. I do have the NVidia Experience software installed, and it does look like it may have some type of ability for adjusting.

Anyone else with experience out there on this board, and if the SuperClock part has caused them issues or not?

Thanks.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFN WRs don't like overclocked cards. at all. You wander around the primegrid forum a lot, I'm sure you've seen the plethora of posts on the matter. It probably dropped both those cards into DP mode which is not a good indicator of that card's performance (and that is a sweet card!). Run some sieves and you should see the difference! How much more of a power supply did you have to swap to?
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was the first one to finish the WR while OC'd. I move the card to MW and that is doing them in about 450 seconds and validating. WOW! It's taking longer to download and upload than to do the work. I usually hate keeping any cache, but I might have to. My problem it changes it on all projects so I would cache work on project I do not want to cache.

I may move it to something else. Maybe Einstein for now.

This weekend the cards are being moved around. The 780 TI is going into a box with a new 750W PS, then I will install the 640 back into the box with the 420W, and my older ATI will move to another box that will crunch only part time on video.

It's nice owning a more powerful video card for a change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: