KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Intel specifically market-targeting the KWSN???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Is Intel specifically market-targeting the KWSN??? Reply with quote

The Xeon Phi - a 50+ core, x86-based parallel processor on a PCIe card!
Early estimated TDP ~200W

And check-out the Code Name for this chip - how excellent!!!

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-xeon-phi-a-teraflop-supercomputer-in-a-pcie-card-18234393/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6017/intel-announces-xeon-phi-family-of-coprocessors-mic-goes-retail/
I've never been a huge fan of Intel (but not an opponent), but this definitely intrigues me!
Hopefully the price won't be too obscene. Wink

I wonder if F@H and/or BOINC are out ahead-of-the-curve on this one???
Or do they even need to be?

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Xeon Phi will first show up in Stampede, a 10 Petaflop HPC Linux cluster expected to be operational by the start of 2013. Stampede, a project by the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) with the University of Texas at Austin, will pair Xeon E5 CPUs – contributing around two Teraflops – with the remaining eight Teraflops delivered by Xeon Phi coprocessors."

That's the boys and girls at eOn's new toy Laughing

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
Sir Cracked of the Mind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time we allowed our name to be used we ended up with that bawdy tale by Mr Chaucer, I suggest we are far more picky if we intend letting our name be used again.

#ni-1
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete-mixing Moose wrote:
"Xeon Phi will first show up in Stampede, a 10 Petaflop HPC Linux cluster expected to be operational by the start of 2013. Stampede, a project by the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) with the University of Texas at Austin, will pair Xeon E5 CPUs – contributing around two Teraflops – with the remaining eight Teraflops delivered by Xeon Phi coprocessors."

That's the boys and girls at eOn's new toy Laughing

Now they'll be even more insufferable about not needing check-pointing.

(older, before split CPID)
Mifun
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the price is.
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mifun wrote:

Well, that is always the salient question with new tech, isn't it? Shocked
My own definition of "obscene" pricing is where it's far out-of-reach for the individual consumer.
If they bring the lowest-end model (~50 cores) out at over $3000, they may have over-priced it.
I could get a 4P Tyan mobo with 4 AMD Opteron (12 core) processors for not too much more coin.

The articles were kinda vague on certain aspects for which I want to know more:

1) A 'thin' driver needs to be developed.
OK, by whom? Shouldn't this be Intel's job?
And this usually means a new set of APIs to incorporate into apps, etc.
Will it be compatible with & supported in Windows and Linux?

2) The assertion of near plug-n-play to "automatically" ramp-up parallelism.
Hold on there.
I've been programming on HP NonStop Systems (fka Tandem Computers) for nearly 30 years.
Mass-scale parallelism is just not that easy to achieve.
There is a whole lot of work to be done to separate out multiple asynchronous parallel threads (child tasks) from the main dispatcher/monitor thread (parent task).

But all that aside...

How cool is the code-name "Knights Corner"???
Maybe even better if it was named "Knights Shrubbery".

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting_things_on_top wrote:
Mifun wrote:

Well, that is always the salient question with new tech, isn't it? Shocked
My own definition of "obscene" pricing is where it's far out-of-reach for the individual consumer.

Funny thing is, one doesn't have to look far and wide for such products, such as a layer 7 switch from Cisco. A uni I went to had 2 of them at the core of their network, which came to $500,000 a piece. Or some storage devices that include their own self contained software control to provide dynamic load balancing accross multiple drives which make up the array of drives within the device, can be another rather pricey matter.

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel might be trying to detroy us.

Ni
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Xeon-Phi is being released soon.

Early pricing estimates put the 'pro' version at just under $2700...
...and a 'consumer' version (to be introduced later 2Q2013?) at under $2000. Wink

This card seems like it will - by orders of magnitude - kick butt over ATI and Nvidia...but only for DP-FP projects (double-precision floating-point). Shocked
For SP-FP projects (F@H, etc), GPGPU will still have a clear, nearly obscene advantage. Cool

This article is VERY informative vis-à-vis "GPGPU vs. Compute Acceleration"...
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/13/what-will-intel-xeon-phi-do-to-the-gpgpu-market/

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

Twisted Evil

(older, before split CPID)
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/ Twisted Evil

Well, maybe then AMD still has some growth potential in the 'enthusiast' and HPC markets.

The real problem is that if the perennial 3rd-party mobo manufacturers are shut-out, then the cost of socketed mobos will rise (double, triple, more?) or may go extinct altogether.
Most manufacturing is based on economy of scale.
If product demand is reduced by as little as 20%, it may force ASUS, MSI, etc to just quit that line of business. Confused

Intel seems to have a dominant position in the CPU market; and AMD is currently flailing (cutting LOTS of jobs, etc).
*OR* AMD might go down the tubes, too. Perhaps as soon as 18 to 24 months (by some exasperated rumors). Shocked

And then what?

ARM processors are - AFAIK - more architecture than hardware (an instruction set different from x86).
I suspect that Intel will try to dictate, control, or capture the lion's share of the ARM processor market as well.

This move by Intel (if sufficiently substantiated) is a brilliant strategic move - but only on their part.
But for the computing industry as a whole, this seems quite monopolistic.
And if this strategy succeeds, then what other strong-arm tactics will Intel use in future?

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not for competition we would still be using "Slot A" computers...

Are Y'all ready for $2000.00 Phones.........

There are something like 3 million of us DC shrubbers, Not near enough to get the attention of Intel. What we do is completely unimportant in their business model. With out the ability to configure our computers with Boinc or some other DC project in mind, we will All be Screwed. They will be like Apple, Only approved apps that meet THEIR goals.....
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there might be some significant blow-back from manufacturers of desktops & laptops.
Companies like HP, Dell, Gateway, IBM/Lenovo, and even Acer might put up some kind of fight. #Bad Talk

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sir Top says This card seems like it will - by orders of magnitude - kick butt over ATI and Nvidia...but only for DP-FP projects (double-precision floating-point). For SP-FP projects (F@H, etc), GPGPU will still have a clear, nearly obscene advantage.

I don't see how a 50 core CPU can out-shrub a 500 to 1000 core GPU in double-precision math? Wait, I'm confused - this is not a CPU, it's actually a co-processor unit that would plug in similar to a GPU?
Quote:
Intel hasn’t put any hard date on availability but they have said they expect Xeon Phi co-processors to go into full production later this year...

Wow, that was written in June '12, so does that mean we may be seeing the Kanigit Chip co-processor soon? I wonder if it would be possible (for a wealthy person) to install both the Xeon Phi AND say an Nvidia GTX 590 in the same system?
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landroid wrote:
I don't see how a 50 core CPU can out-shrub a 500 to 1000 core GPU in double-precision math? Wait, I'm confused - this is not a CPU, it's actually a co-processor unit that would plug in similar to a GPU?
Clarification about the Xeon Phi...

It is a self-contained, PCIe 3.0 add-on module that has 50+ full instruction-set (x86) processor cores.
Each of these x86 CPU cores can easily do DP/FP by itself.
This module runs its own highly-optimized Linux OS, but presents itself as a set of natively attached "network of processors" to the mobo.

GPGPUs are essentially math co-processors on steriods (having only a subset of native instructions & highly-optimized to specific purposes).
Whereas the Xeon Phi is classified as compute acceleration technology.
It won't have direct access to main-memory or north/south-bridge devices or services (HDD, SSD, USB peripherals, etc).
It won't perform as well as a 4P mobo - and is not intended to do so.
It is intended to provide massive horsepower for computationally-intensive applications - period.

Both Nvidia and ATI have scaled back the DP/FP processors on their 'consumer' class GPU cards as they move forward.
They both want to protect their "pro" lines (Nvidia's Quadro & Tesla, and ATI's FirePro), so they can jack-up the prices by 4x to 8x over the equivalent consumer version!
The only differences between these are (the 'pro' version has):
1) Higher binned components (and therefore a better warranty)
2) Extra DP/FP units
3) Better (faster/more) memory in some cases

Tom's Hardware wrote:
Although the GK104 GPU’s increased shader count has a positive impact on 32-bit floating-point math, drastically outperforming the GeForce GTX 590, it’s unable to catch AMD’s Radeon HD 7950, 6990, or 7970.
Moreover, Nvidia limits 64-bit double-precision math to 1/24 of single-precision, protecting its more compute-oriented cards from being displaced by purpose-built gamer boards.
The result is that GeForce GTX 680 underperforms GeForce GTX 590, 580 and to a much direr degree, the three competing boards from AMD. {sic: in the DP/FP space}
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-14.html

Long story short: the Xeon Phi will kick-butt in DP/FP (especially against Nvidia), but GPUs will have the overwhelming advantage in SP/FP for a very long time.

This is just the state of things:
The 'consumer' video/GPU cards are aimed almost exclusively at the gaming community (the "purpose-built" cards).
DC/HPC is just a byproduct - a serendipitous happenstance - within this specific technology arena.

Intel has seen an opportunity to fill a void in the DP/FP arena - and they seem to be taking a direct competitive swipe at Nvidia (as well as ATI).
I wonder how Nvidia will respond to Intel's throwing-down-of-the-gauntlet...??? STAY TUNED!

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
...I wonder if it would be possible (for a wealthy person) to install both the Xeon Phi AND say an Nvidia GTX 590 in the same system?

I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. Shocked

The only catch is...you need to have Xeon-E5 as your main CPU (and compatible mobo) in order to use the Xeon Phi. Rolling Eyes

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knights Corner, AKA "Xeon Phi Coprocessor" is out.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013062001_Intel_expands_Xeon_Phi_co-processor_lineup.html

And the Knights Landing processor is getting closer....

http://wccftech.com/xeon-phi-hpc-codenamed-knights-corner-revealed/

#ni-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: