KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NSFW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: NSFW Reply with quote

Hello there Kaniggits.

As you may have noticed, one of our more popular threads has been removed from the Gorge.
I think that perhaps it is time that we had a little discussion about the kind of content that we want to have on this forum.
The content in some of the threads in the Gorge are way beyond the forum rules, but we have generally let it slip. However, there is the constant trouble of not being able to read the forum from a workplace computer, and perhaps there is also a risk of alienating potential forum members by posting pictures that some may find offensive.

I would like to have peoples opinion about this.
Are the rules too strict?
Should we edit the rules so they fit what we currently allow in the Gorge?
Should we moderators be harder on nudity stuff and remove stuff that is not in line with our current rules?
Would you consider it a violation of yous rights to express yourself on this forum if we were to edit posts that we considered not safe for work?
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I want to say I myself enjoyed looking at the messages.

If we had a few more moderators we could make a more private board area where you could opt in for those types of messages. It's an idea and some work. The people who opt in must fill out a waiver that states they understand the area is restricted, no one under 18 allowed, and other mumbo jumbo to state no bashing on others, etc., but allow the fun.

Just an idea.
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repeatedly offered to be a moderator since I joined...always been told not needed. I would work that part of the forum for the team.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pooh. Set up an area that you have to opt in to. We should still require some taste in it (no outright nudity), but stuff that is already in the NSFW page.

As for a moderator, if people want to volunteer, let them. have 2 or 3 and that should be ok.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have non-public areas in any case, can't discuss strategy or make plans without other teams watching.

Plus, how are we supposed to attract new members who might be underage. Their parents won't approve of some of those threads.

(older, before split CPID)
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it.

Please recall that my criteria is not so much whether a post goes too far, but how much time it takes to make that decision. In the past I have spent hours carefully considering the pros and cons of a moderation, judging whether I was making a good or bad decision, and it was a complete waste of effort. In this case, it wasn't any single post (well, maybe one) that was clearly across the line, but an accumulation of too many posts that were right on the line.

There is a serious problem with having a thread that needs moderator attention, but can't be monitored from work. We did think of this before, but it the problem never got fixed.
One solution might be to have a Moderator officially in charge of the Naughty-Bits. Another would be to disallow NSFW entirely (we did for quite a long time).

Having a private area is not necessarily a good idea. First, its not like you can't find NSFW pictures anywhere else on the internet. As a group, that's not what we are about. Second (and IMHO), having private areas where a few people are off having fun by themselves is not good for the group - it only fractures us more. Participation in this board is way down, and shuttling activity off into hidden corners is just a bad idea. FWIW, I'm not in favor of the other private groups either - I think it would be much better if these were open to all.

Finally, I really REALLY want to be able to enjoy this board from my work, and NSFW images make that difficult sometimes. The BACON thread is not marked NSFW, but I don't dare view that from my work anymore either. I'm not being prudish - I'm being selfish - I want to participate on any part of the board from any location.

Dan
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind: I have always made it my policy to NEVER access personal data/websites from work. I find the use of an employer's equipment for personal use unacceptable and unprofessional. This is just my opinion, but keep in mind most companies are running some form of "web nanny" and that anything you view at work may be known by all within the company, so think:

Confused Is taking time to view this page at work worth my job? Confused

PS: I do enjoy the NSFW threads (although I at times worry what our female members think of them). Cool

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with OhioMike. I cannot even access KWSN boards from work's computers because it's blocked by the proxy. Most blog/forum/shopping/etc. sites are. I can get to work sites and a couple others, but not many.

So NSFW to me is only seen at home. I can view it while "at work" because I work from home a lot and take breaks throughout the day to use my personal computer, but when I am in the office I am never able to read this board anyway.
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should a private forum be created, there is a rather obvious name for it. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtcSYPjJbgg

ni! i!u
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this discussion drifts away into a discussion about unprofessional use of workplace equipment, I would like to bring us back to the actual content of the threads.

Do we really need that kind of threads?
As pointed out by SHoE above, finding images of scantily dressed women on the Internet is not difficult, so you could do it without the help of this forum.
If the images were to have a mainly humorous angle I would consider them more valid.

Are the threads scaring off new members, in particular those of the female persuasion?
If any of our current female visitors could make a post here about how you feel about it, that would help. If any one of you feel offended by the threads, I say they go.

We haven't seen much of LadyDC, Alpha or Michelle lately, but I think they still lurk around occasionally.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the opinion of the ladies would be a most welcome input (i think).

I don't even attempt to access this from work any more. Some of the web minders are getting out of hand with what they allow and don't (think programming forums for computer programmers as blocked because it is marked as "social networking", but it is a forum with programming tips and we are programmers, so something helpful, a tool if you will, is not allowed...). Damn Websense...

Anyway Dan makes an interesting point. This forum is about distributed computing, not NSFW, I did participate in the NSFW thread and enjoyed the view, so guilty there, but we are a silly group and tend to try to top one another.

I believe much discussion in in our future... Confused

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the mind that if it's there, I will look at it and my wife will look over my shoulder and wonder what in the Sam Hill is going on?!? If it's not there, I will still be here lurking around and sometimes posting. It's a good point that we are here for the DC, ...and the Shrubberies, ...and the PGGBs, ...and the silliness, ...and for world domination, ...and for the goat, but what I really wanted to say was, well, I forgot. #ni-2

>stats<
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think it's a problem, if you think it's costing us new members, get rid of it.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember when I nearly got banned for posting this?

Those were the days ...

[EDIT: The image may be slow to load. You can also do an image search on "Monty Python Organist" and see a variety of poses. Smile ]

Without some input from the Admins, nothing at all is going to happen, which pretty much leaves it to Sir Mildew and myself. Therefore I propose the following:

NSFW threads should be deleted after some length of time, or some number of pages (wild guess: 2 months or 6 pages or whenever we get around to it). Perhaps we can lock the thread first, but leave it open for viewing for a few weeks. If a thread is getting "stale" start a new one.

NSFW threads should begin with a warning post of some sort, and a very tame image big enough to push racier images off the bottom of the screen. This will give people stumbling into the thread by accident or curiosity a chance to bail with minimal embarrassment.

Other than that, the original rules still apply, and self-moderation is encouraged. The sort of conversation we are having now, probably needs to occur on an occasional basis. We've certainly put it off for too long.

I am not against moving locked NSFW threads to a private forum (if the Admin create one) instead of deleting them. This would keep them available on an opt-in basis, and still keep current activity out where everyone can see it (as it should be).

Dan
ni! i!u

Last edited by Sir Hamster of Elderberry on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone remember when I nearly got banned for posting this?

Those were the days ...

This is all I see of your image...

The image “http://s3.sidereel.com/episodes/190763/featured/178699.jpg” cannot be displayed because it contains errors.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this one http://vicmackey.trakt.tv/images/episodes/447-3-9-218.jpg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLE60Aspsu4
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sir Hamster summed it up rather nicely.

All NSFW threads will be moved to the moderators forum for storage Very Happy

#ni-1
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, "storage"

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vote should count for something

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurf wrote:
I think the vote should count for something

Like "Most Stickied" Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: