KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with something :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

**I've posted this on the group page at FB too.**

Guys, I need to do a report on any topic for an assignment. Couldn't think of a topic so decided to do dc projects. The teacher had no idea what dc is so she might find it interesting. Now, I've got to sort of stretch it out a bit and fill up some pages so I came up with a questionnaire.

This is where you guys come in. Smile I'd love some responses that I can use to fill in the gaps and give some info about why people people get involved in the projects etc.

Name (first name or alias):

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects?

2. Why did you become involved?

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc.

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics?

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report)

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual?

7. What are some of the risks of participating?

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.?

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved?

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants?

#ni-1

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Guys, I need to do a report on any topic for an assignment. Couldn't think of a topic so decided to do dc projects. The teacher had no idea what dc is so she might find it interesting. Now, I've got to sort of stretch it out a bit and fill up some pages so I came up with a questionnaire.

This is where you guys come in. Smile I'd love some responses that I can use to fill in the gaps and give some info about why people people get involved in the projects etc.

Name (first name or alias):Ann Gill Johnson, USA

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? 7 years

2. Why did you become involved? I had cancer and heard about DC projects that help look for a cure.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. Medical

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) No

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? The Lou-Knee Knights were a group I thought did good work and they were crazy.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? No

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? F@H is a very worthwhile project for looking for cures for cancer, altz. and childhood diseases.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Yes, Folding at Home.

#ni-1

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Ann. Great responses.

#ni-1

The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Name (first name or alias): Greg Parman-Sibley UK

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? Just over 9 years

2. Why did you become involved? Fascinated with the thought that I could find the first voice from outer space

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. Started off with Space Now care more about finding answers to diseases for all the creatures of the world. Specially interested in assisting projects where they are looking for answers to the most humble yet valuable of our insects "The Bee"

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? Research

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) No

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? My User Name meant that KWSN is my perfect home

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Potential to get embroiled in politics that can devastate teams of people who essentially have the same goals in mind

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? It has done though I try to keep my enthusiasm under control and not tweak the machine to high Very Happy

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? Just jump right in

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Check out the projects available and do one you fancy.

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name (first name or alias): Kevin Winter (Wabbit98), USA

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? Since 1999

2. Why did you become involved? I heard about SETI@Home in the newspaper.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. Persoanlly math and physics.

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? The stats.

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) I would.

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? Big Monty Python fan so I went out the find a team like that. Basically more fun in a team than doing it all alone.

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Your computer getting prematurely old. Risky projects that can really work the processor.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? The older it gets the more strain it is under. Thankfully I have AC so it can help keep the house temprature comfortable.

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? It needs to be your own computer, and you really are committed to one or more projects.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Probably start with one of the established ones, they will work the best and then start to branch out and see what else is available.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name (first name or alias): Eric - 'Sir Stooper' - Wisconsin, USA

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? - 2 years

2. Why did you become involved? - Was at first looking for info on overclocking my pc, but kept running into the phrase 'folding' all the time on the website I was reading. Researched, and became fascinated that I could help with big science questions. Always been a nerd at heart.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? - Physics/science

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? - Sometimes reasearch, sometimes stats. I'll get an itch to do a project with hard science for awhile and go nuts, but eventually want to see the numbers again.

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? - Yes, bonafide

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? - Thought it would be fun to socialize a little.

7. What are some of the risks of participating? - Addiction, thoughts of winning the lotto enter your dreams so that you can have a big farm of PCs.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? - I have ended up setting some machines to work 24/7 which will produce a lot of heat. I have only had my boxes shut down on their own a couple of times due to over-stress (thanks Primegrid). But all are crunching away with (mostly(again the addiction makes you upgrade components on occassion)) original parts. Other times, my machines get shut down when not doing 'normal' computing.

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? - Seek out a friendly team (like the Knights!). I've gotten great help in areas of computing, getting projects to run properly, and choosing projects from the team.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? - Start with something you are passionate about. Be it finding answers to medical questions, helping design parts of a particle accelerator or looking for huge prime numbers. Then feed your curiosity by doing some other projects. After that, you may find you want to test any project that comes along or you may want to concentrate on just one area. There are no rules (except #4).

Good luck on the report! #ni-1

>stats<
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Name (first name or alias): KWSN imcrazynow

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? 11 Years

2. Why did you become involved? Just wanted to help.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc.
Medical, Math, Space and Physics

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? Both

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) Guilty! LOL!

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? Team competition and help in getting things running well.

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Addiction to contributing to a greater cause.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? No

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? Join a team, the help you can receive from those that have been doing this for a while in invaluable.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Most are good worthwhile projects. Just research things you're interested in.

#ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Name (first name or alias):
Papa Smurph

10 years 6 months

I liked the Seti project and was interested

Ummm, Credits mostly, but I will lean toward space and physics

Stats mostly

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report)
YES, let me repeat that....YES!

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual?
competition is fun, and expensive....

High electric bills, constant upgrading and maintenance of equipment, Being called a Geek...

Yes, See above answer..

Just Do IT!....... And Join a TEAM #ni-1

anything other than Seti@Home
I recommend any project other than Seti@Home. For multiple reasons

Hope this helps #ni-1
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9/8/2006

Love the idea of helping cure illnesses and solve different issues occuring in our world

Prefer Seti but I participate in 20 or so projects

Both

Yes

Just a chance to chat w/ like-minded people

The cost of having to replace computer parts more often then the average user due to 24/7 use.

Nope

Just enjoy it...don't focus on project breakdowns. They will happen to every project at some point.

Seti/World Community Grid/Milkyway/Rosetta

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name (first name or alias): Philip aka Gemjunkie

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? Started Folding around May/June 2010. Joined this team July 3,2010 and began BOINC to participate in the POTM.

2. Why did you become involved? Modern home computers are amazingly powerful lately, rivaling mainframes of not too long ago. It seems a waste to have them just fetching email and playing games. Contributing spare processing power is a very attractive idea.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. Most any doing real research, which most projects seem to be.

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? I do it for the research, but the statistics provide motivation to work harder at it and facilitate the competitive aspects.

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) Sure, but what other feedback do we have for the cost and effort? At least in the short term. We're not going to subscribe to a lot of scientific journals waiting for papers to be published based on the data we may have helped process.

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? It's more fun within a team and the community pools knowledge, an individual is hard-pressed to monitor news and status of so many projects.

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Like any hobby with a strong competitive component, it's easy to get carried away... more, better, faster. High electric bills, it only takes 3 or 4 desktop systems to draw a KW. Less, if they're multi-GPU monsters.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? Yes, it can. It's used by some to stress-test new systems, but you can adjust settings to reduce resource usage to levels you're comfortable with and that your system can handle.

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? Try it, it's free, fairly easy for most projects, if you don't like it stop doing it. If you don't regularly open the computer and clean out the dust, etc., start.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? The shorter sub-projects of PrimeGrid, primaboinca, Rosetta, Aqua if you have a quad-core & 64-bit OS.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Michelle forgot my name

Blurf aka Pete

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks, everyone.

#ni-1

You've given me heaps to work with. We have to put six pages in the discussion section so I was worried about not having enough to put in but this will fit in nicely with the info re dc how-to, projects, stats etc.

tiberius
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Tiberius

1. Since 1999
2. As per my SETI profile, "The only way to save humanity from itself. We need to gain some perspective..."
3. Aside from those I get involved with for the sake of the team (and possibly SETI), projects with clearly defined goals/outcomes that I think have some benefit (see 4)
4. Research, don't care about the stats
5. No
6. More social, team provides support
7. Dead puters, power bill, noise, unhappy spouse due to previous points
8. Yes, on all components (CPU, GPU, power supply, hard drives etc.)
9. Join an established and active team and be a bit discerning in the projects you choose to participate in
10. No, choose projects that interest you

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiberius wrote:
10. No, choose projects that interest you

Of course, but I took it to mean recommendations to get started and get a feel for how it works before they've had a chance to learn about and develop interests in particular projects.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name (first name or alias): Tim aka Pooh Bear 27

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? Interested since 1999, have credit since 2001.

2. Why did you become involved? Friend told me about the original SETI before BOINC came about. Once BOINC took over it became a slight passion.

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. I used to love the space/science. I now am into the mathmatics more than anything because of what it can do to futher computer research. I originally was into the space.

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? Yes. Some of both. I've always had the passion for the research, but I now have a hunger for statistics.

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) Not really. I do run projects that do give some stats pushes, but I always move back to my passion after a bit.

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? When BOINC came around, teams started to explode more. I searched long and hard for a team that seemed to fit me. I am a fan of comedy, parody, etc. The group I chose gives me that, plus is a great bunch of people.

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Bad or unstable hardware will die quickly. If you get a good machine it should last for years. I have ran some for many without issues, I have had some die from bad hardware. Addiction to getting the credit can be risk, especially if you keep spending more money on hardware when you should not.

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? Again, if a computer is built correctly, it should run without issue. Be careful of unscrupulous projects that could try and harm your computer. There have been some that sent our virii and other tojans.

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? BOINC is meant to be used as "extra cycles", there are some of us who consider having extra computers just to crunch. It's a fun thing to just get involved and maybe help out in something that you have a interest in. There are cancer researches, mega prime finding, searching for intelligent life, and other great projects that all can use more help. Take it easy at first. Just try out a stable project and see if BOINC is for you. If it is, then have fun. Many of us are around to answer your questions, comments, concerns or just lean on when you need an friend. We are a community and as in any there are good and bad participants.

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Depends on what you are interested in. Visit the BOINC websites and search for the project that grabs that interest. I love Primegrid and hope more join, but you choose your own.
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Name (first name or alias): Jon aka {KWSN}John Galt 007

1. How long have you been involved with distributed computing projects? 11/1999

2. Why did you become involved? Saw it on a friend's computer. and joined SETI

3. What sort of projects do you prefer? e.g. medical, space and/or physics, environmental, mathematical etc. I will do any project, if the credits are good, but prefer the mathematical ones.

4. Do you do it for the research or for the statistics? Stats

5. Would you consider yourself a stats whore? (I will use 'addict' in the report) Definately....

6. What made you decide to join a team rather than participate as an individual? Joined a team to be part of something bigger than I

7. What are some of the risks of participating? Loss of sleep, loss of money

8. Does it put a strain on your computer? Overheating etc.? Not yet, but I don't overclock like I used to

9. Any suggestions for people who may be considering getting involved? Buy a GPU...

10. Do you recommend any particular projects for new participants? Prime Grid...you might find a big prime number....

#ni-1

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Name: Sir First Name or Alias #ni-1

1. Since 1999.

2. It seemed like a cool project, and a good way to put my computer to good use when it wasn't doing anything else (most of the time).

3. I maintain some loyalty to SETI, since that got me started, but I now contribute to other projects too.

4. Both, at one time or other. I was WAY into stats for a while, but now I mostly ignore them.

5. Reformed.

6. A really hoopy group name.

7. There have occasionally been people who got into trouble for putting work computers to "unofficial use". There are rather more who did, but never got caught.

8. I had some issues with a video cards burning up, but that was probably due to the video card being defective in the first place (and Thank you Dell, for the free replacement).

9. Jump in and do it. Figure out what you are doing later.

10. Well, Einstein at Home is a local product, but I don;t actively pimp for it.
Sir Hamster's Goat
Goat-tacular!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with something :) Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Name (first name or alias): BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

BAAAA!

#ni-1

BAAAA!
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I've pretty much got all I need now.

#ni-1

Not quite sure where to put the goat's responses. Confused

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple ignore the goat until you can find it inside your soul.

Ni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: