KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a new pc..need opinions on graphics card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queezy
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Building a new pc..need opinions on graphics card Reply with quote

I'm building a new system and can't decide if I should use the xfx 5870 I already have (maybe try to get another one for crossfire?), or just go ahead and get a newer card. Here's the basics:
i7 2600k
asus p8p67 deluxe mobo
corsair p3-128 sata iii ssd
16 gb corsair vengeance ram
i have this model of the 5870..if i do get another would it be best to get the exact same one?http://amzn.com/B002Q5V704
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, you can mix manufacturers within a particular GPU but I haven't run dual cards, so can't really help with that.

I have both the XFX and Gigabyte HD5870's (separate boxes). I was impressed with the solid feel and hefty heatsink on the Gigabyte. I like the dual fans, it effectively vents into the case, so you need a very well ventilated case. I have the XFX in a Thermaltake Element T http://elementt.thermaltake.com/ and the Gigabyte in a CoolerMaster HAF 912 http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php
I haven't come across anything the 5870 can't handle display-wise, for crunching, it depends on the project.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
melkore
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about what graphics card you should choose but I noted we have some similar hardware, got an i7-2600 with 16 GB Corsair vengeance. Also an SSD disk C300 128 GB.

Attached to a Gigabyte UD5.

Personally I have an AMD 6990 GPU, dual GPU.

Not sure what preferences you have but i`m a gamer so I chose with that in mind.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melkore wrote:
Not sure about what graphics card you should choose but I noted we have some similar hardware, got an i7-2600 ...

No K?

#ni-2

melkore
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:

No K?

#ni-2

I considered it but I decided against it, I don't plan on going mad with OC. I`m quite sober in that department.

Might have been enough with a lower model Gigabyte instead of the UD5 P67 but it's bought and installed so no regrets!

I noticed without any fiddling around the BIOS the processor runs at a steady and stable 3.7 Ghz with all 4 cores (8 threads) in BOINC and that is well enough for me! It's all stock and defaults so far #ni-1
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the cost for the whole computer though, it seems like a worthwhile option for only $30. Even if only to boost resale value down the road.

#ni-1

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
Given the cost for the whole computer though, it seems like a worthwhile option for only $30. Even if only to boost resale value down the road.

#ni-1

RESALE???? The only way a PC leaves me is when I let the magic smoke out....

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figure a fellow who's not that interested in overclocking probably isn't the sort whose going to wring every last point out if every last functioning transistor in the house. Laughing

At some point, doesn't old equipment become too inefficient as far as points/KW-Hr and better replaced?

#ni-2

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the CPUs till they puke....

If it is the MB that dies and I want to go on the cheap, I will get a new MB...if the finances allow it, I replace with an i7 with more GPU slots.... Twisted Evil

I have been down 4 cores since early April when a MB died, but just haven't had a chance to replace the MB yet...

http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He He John

At least you wern't screwed like me when my PSU died and took out my MB in March and that on top of losing my job Errk. I only have one machine atm and still looking to built a 48 core server when I get the funds for it.

Must admit that it was my own fault for not checking the PSU rating before I shoved the Phenom 1100T 3100mhz 6 core Black edition into it rated at 125W Lol PSU was rated at only 400W Yikes no wonder the poor hamster running around in it gave up the ghost Razz

Up and running sweet again, gently clocked it to a mere 3629.67 MHZ and a steady temp of 51C Very Happy without extra cooling needed Yayy.

What a blessing these Arctic Cooling fans are Smile

As for GPU's I used to use twin GeForce GF7300 GT's with an SLI interface. Sadly they are not able to do GPU processing. The only problem I noticed with them was ghosting on High Definition graphics particularly with Eve Online. Not sure if using twin GPU's has solved this problem. It maybe one question you need to ask Queezy.
Queezy
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a guy with another card identical to mine, and he was upgrading so gave me a good price on it. I'm at 7.8 windows score with only the original 5870 so when i get the second one added in cf I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Btw, how is the cooling on the 69xx series? i know my 5870 has a freaking leafblower attached to the top of it and I crank the OC up to 900/1300 without any problems.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knighty NI wrote:
He He John

At least you wern't screwed like me when my PSU died and took out my MB in March and that on top of losing my job Errk.

Ben there, done that, except for the job thing....have had PSUs take out MBs, MBs die on their own, RAM get baked, but haven't had a CPU or GPU fry yet....(touches wood).....

#ni-1

( • )Y( • )
Queezy
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woke up to a BSOD = / gonna wait a day or two and fix some things up before trying to actually crunch anymore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: