KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knights Boycott of Seti (Msattler discussion)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Knights Boycott of Seti (Msattler discussion) Reply with quote

Hello friends....

There is an issue that has been mentioned in the Round Table that is deeply affecting one of our members. A few of us have expressed this concern in the same vein so I have brought it here for more general discussion.

MSattler has been banned, repeatedly, in the Seti forums by an overly aggressive Admin group who is pretty much allowed to do whatever they want. Some of the bans, he admits, have been valid for making overly-aggressive (even occassionally abusive) bigoted statements-they speak for themselves and he has (to me directly) accepted his fault and shown remorse for them. Sometimes it seems they flat-out pick on him.

I will say at times (in the past) I have been critical of his behavior on the forums, but we've come to an agreement where he sees where I am coming from and I really believe he is being targeted unfairly.

There are a few of us who have been discussing this and are sick of the treatment.

The way to change this is to demand a change in the current Mod staff. The Mod Uli is a known personal friend of the admins and is allowed to do whatever she wants--avoiding the Mod rotation that was previously layed down (and other mods have to adhere by). Also Mod Phud has been known to mod without any rhyme or reason to what he does. They have both been known to go after Sattler in an obviously personal manner.

The Admin "Fred" is a position that is supposed to rotate between the paid staff of the Seti Lab. It is widely considered that this has been shunned onto one person as noone else wants it. It is widely suspected to be Jeff as Eric now refuses to address forum issues.

The only way to change is to make a visible statement AS A TEAM.

Please discuss, support or disagree.

Blurf

Note: There are also some other teams, I am sure, that feel the same way. The bigger the voice of concern, the more impact we can have. Start PM'ing quietly to friends on other teams--let's see what kind of support we can generate

Last edited by Blurf on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem....Mark won't pull his rigs off SETI......

That is the one project he believes in....

I have asked Mark, via email, to join the discussion. He will probably be getting off work at about midnight or so, so I expect a response from him after that time. I will be sleeping at that time, but will join the discussion in the morning....

#ni-1

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
msattler
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a response in the original thread.

Meow.

4 kitties on a Seti mission...Meeeooowwwrrr!!!

The Genuine Kittyman..Join me on Hydra at 'Team Seti'

[img]bluenorthernsoftware.com/k.php[/img]
Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

Location: Somewhere @ 38C south of the Northpole, probably in a solar powered iglo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was somewhat amazed, why MSattler was banished, as I did not
see what he should or should not, have said, or done to get banished.
Hasn't anyone the right to choose a project he or she, believes in?

But that isn't the point, I believe, in this case.
I find it hard, to judge a fellow cruncher, freedom of speech, and
Forum-rules on the other hand, makes it hard.

I've not seen, anything in his last posts, why he should be banished?
I got the impression that his posts were not against the forum-rules?
I hope other team mates will chime in !

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
[/i]

Currently burning:
2 QUAD's Q6600, 1 WIN (stock)XP32, VISTA stock , 1 QX9650@ 3.6GHz.WIN XP64,GTX480.
1 HP Pav LT(Leisure);C2D T2400+7400GT.
1 HP Pav Desktop:Q6600+GTS250
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredericx51 wrote:
I've not seen, anything in his last posts, why he should be banished?
I got the impression that his posts were not against the forum-rules?
I hope other team mates will chime in !
#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
[/i]

Fred-you don't see anything in his posts because the Mods are hiding them as son as he posts them.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where may we see the discussion in the SETI universe.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Where may we see the discussion in the SETI universe.

You can't because the mods and Fred will not allow it---if he tries to discuss it he gets banned.

Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODERATORS--CAN WE MAKE THIS THREAD AVAILABLE ONLY TO USERS WHO ARE LOGGED IN PLEASE?

We need to stop them from letting the Seti thread (linked below) on the issue become a joke (which it is becoming). The trick to avoid being banned is to express your displeasure in a way that is not specific.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=63313

Might be good to post here too:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=62546

Maybe people should post below simply (everyone do the same thing):

The team The Knights Who Say Ni! reject this ban and call for the removal of Phud and Uli as Moderators. We are not at liberty to discuss specifics but this is a Team Call.

The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can express our displeasure by posting to that thread with congo rats to Mark and adding the line:

The team The Knights Who Say Ni! reject this ban and call for the removal of Phud and Uli as Moderators".

If enough of us do it one after another to the tune of hundreds then they may get hiccups wet their pants and blow up their puters so they can't take action Very Happy

Last edited by The Knighty NI on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have shut down the forums to stifle dissent. The number 1 weapon of all petty dictators, control the media.

(older, before split CPID)
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee Hee how many forums can we post to?

How many ways can we show displeasure?

What do they need in terms of support?

Not only have I stopped shrubbing Seti I am also thinking about writing to them via snail mail expressing my concerns and stating that until this changes that I will not donate,

Yes donate any more of my hard earned cash to them in support and send the donation certificates I have received back to them in protest.
Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

Location: Somewhere @ 38C south of the Northpole, probably in a solar powered iglo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Blurf, a stupid typo, I've not seen, anything in his last posts, why he should be banished? , which should be of instead of in.

I don't even know which post was, the cause of getting banished Shocked

#ni-2 #ni-2

Currently burning:
2 QUAD's Q6600, 1 WIN (stock)XP32, VISTA stock , 1 QX9650@ 3.6GHz.WIN XP64,GTX480.
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.

Last edited by Fredericx51 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knighty NI wrote:
Hee Hee how many forums can we post to?

How many ways can we show displeasure?

What do they need in terms of support?

Not only have I stopped shrubbing Seti I am also thinking about writing to them via snail mail expressing my concerns and stating that until this changes that I will not donate,

Yes donate any more of my hard earned cash to them in support and send the donation certificates I have received back to them in protest.

There's an idea--demand our donations back in protest!

Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 21:22, I posted at SETI, when trying later, around midnight (UTC),
I appears totally down, strange.

#ni-1

[ADDED]

Now, i can reach it, could be at my end, as this is WLAN.
It throttles down the 'transmitter', if it isn't used.

Currently burning:
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.
Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredericx51 wrote:
On 21:22, I posted at SETI, when trying later, around midnight (UTC),
I appears totally down, strange.

#ni-1

[ADDED]

Now, i can reach it, could be at my end, as this is WLAN.
It throttles down the 'transmitter', if it isn't used.

You are bringing in the big guns, don't like the idea, but might be the only option which works, bud do hope, it isn't necessary.
But first, I gotta jump in bed, gettin late . #ni-1

Currently burning:
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.
Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-1 Hi, #ni-2

it appears difficult to do something, although we do need

SETI, or another project, and they do need us to shrub,

but 'rules' make it hard, on the virge of being banished, to talk about

Moderators and their actions.

But what should happen, if, there weren't any, would the

board submerge in flames, spamming or total war???

Looking at our 'Earth' , there's a lot changing going on, well this is gettin 'Political', should stay on topic, though. Wink

Currently burning:
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a user feels that their post/message was/were removed out of hand, there is redress (which is stated in each modeation notice). Email the Seti moderators Seti_moderators (at) ssl.berkeley.edu with your original moderation notice and everyone will look at it. Please note there may be some delay as many of the moderators live in time zones around the world, someone is going to be asleep. In some cases, you will receive an almost immediate reply with more reasons or you will have to wait for the moderators discussion to complete. If you feel that you received an unsatisfactory answer from the moderators, you can then email the original request and quote any replies from the moderators to Seti Forums Admin (Fred) at setiforums (at) ssl.berkeley.edu. Please be prepared to wait for a bit. This means that Fred taking time away from Seti Servers and other administrative business will need to see your email (and if you send the original moderation notice) can look at the original post and others that are in context. Fred can then look at moderator discussion. Fred can then let you know that(s)he agrees, then the post/thread will be unhidden. The moderators will also have notification about the action. From that instructions about easing or increasing attention to various areas/indiciduals of moderation can occur.

Cross posted (not cross as in angry but as in wall-eyed) from the seti forum from Blurf's post a ways above. Could be useful to email all these seti folks (for whomever is spearheading this on our side) and ensure that an accurate picture is painted (finger painting is encouraged).

#ni-1
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love finger painting specially when its time to have my tea. I can wipe my fingers on my shirt and leave pretty patterns Very Happy

No seriously, we need to use whatever tools we have to bring this issue to a close in a satisfactory way for Mark and to ensure that he is not deliberately or unfairly targeted.

It may be an idea to vote for someone who has good persuasive skills to spearhead this on Marks behalf with the Seti Mods in the way Yankton is suggesting. They should also be able to convey an implied threat regarding the damage that could occur if we decide to pull all our resources off of the Seti project and what could occur if we then set about encouraging other teams to follow suit.
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yankton"]
Quote:
If a user feels that their post/message was/were removed out of hand, there is redress (which is stated in each modeation notice). Email the Seti moderators Seti_moderators (at) ssl.berkeley.edu with your original moderation notice and everyone will look at it. Please note there may be some delay as many of the moderators live in time zones around the world, someone is going to be asleep. In some cases, you will receive an almost immediate reply with more reasons or you will have to wait for the moderators discussion to complete. If you feel that you received an unsatisfactory answer from the moderators, you can then email the original request and quote any replies from the moderators to Seti Forums Admin (Fred) at setiforums (at) ssl.berkeley.edu. Please be prepared to wait for a bit. This means that Fred taking time away from Seti Servers and other administrative business will need to see your email (and if you send the original moderation notice) can look at the original post and others that are in context. Fred can then look at moderator discussion. Fred can then let you know that(s)he agrees, then the post/thread will be unhidden. The moderators will also have notification about the action. From that instructions about easing or increasing attention to various areas/indiciduals of moderation can occur.

Yankton--the appropriate people are the ones who are the problem. Fred, the Admin, changes rules whenever he feels like it.

If anyone, however, feels they can approach the mods in a more reasonable way then by all means---but I will tell you right now that as long as Uli/Phud are mods it won't change.

msattler
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my last post here on the subject.

Let me make this quite clear.........
I did not ask any action on the part of the KWSN on my behalf, and I do not wish to either sanction nor take any part in a boycott of Seti. Whether in my name or not.

Are we clear on that?

I do soooooooo appreciate the fact that you folks think enough of me to consider such a drastic action, but please do not.

If you wish to contest the moderation of the Seti forums, you are certainly welcome to do so, but please do not invoke my name in the process, you would only serve to make things very difficult for me.

I need to make it known that I am not a part of this 'movement', as it were.

If the admins thought for one moment that I were an instigator in this, they might have the audacity to ban me from the project. And let me tell you this......even if the KWSN totally disavowed any crunching for the project, they would not do anything to change it.

There is NOTHING you could do that would impact the project. NOTHING. At least in a negative way.

I think I have impacted the project with my fundraising efforts. I happen to think that a couple of new servers might not exist at this point but for my exuberance and extolling of others to join me.

Please do not undermine that positive part of all I and you have done.

You are my friends here. I have chosen to maintain my membership with the KWSN at this time rather than attempt another kitty auction for my team affiliation.

Please, if you respect me and my wishes, just keep shrubbing for Seti, and if you wish to make any respectable debate about the modding subject, you can do it in the politics thread.....
You just cannot bring up any specific moderation instances.

Fred has been a good admin.....before him, there was absolutely no discussion of modding allowed at all.

I respect Fred. He has stood up for me on occasion, and has been fair.

Meow.

Mark

4 kitties on a Seti mission...Meeeooowwwrrr!!!

The Genuine Kittyman..Join me on Hydra at 'Team Seti'

[img]bluenorthernsoftware.com/k.php[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: