KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facebook Gives Your Home Address to Developers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Facebook Gives Your Home Address to Developers Reply with quote

http://www.pcworld.com/article/216850/facebook_gives_your_home_address_to_developers.html

#evil

(older, before split CPID)
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook Gives Your Home Address to Developers Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/216850/facebook_gives_your_home_address_to_developers.html

#evil

Frankly, if you're stupid enough to store your home address and any other personal details on friendface, you deserve to have their developers come round to your house and bore you into a stupor with inane talk about how to "create apps" - or kill you in your bed (if you're in the states).

Ni!
Fang

Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...however they've scrapped it for now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12214628

Badges:
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh, I signed up on facebook, to make one post in one discussion group. I however didn't like that one had to use their real life name and they're pretty much centered around having to put rl info out there. Even one's name, would be enough to begin searches on.

For most people (if they don't have an unlistec phone number, which personally I do), a simple online reverse lookup could allow one to pull up their address, phone number, and possibly email addresses. Depending on one's ability, know how, and what databases they have access to, a bit more could also be pulled up. Some online searches, background checks, and the like would require a bit of a fee though. There's of course also public records.

tbh, and largely for this reason, I don't chose to use it.

Well I guess it could be worse though. Here the thought could range from a stalker, identity theft, the dev here, or an employer spying in on one, with as little as a real name giving the ability to do a search. In Libya for instance, posting something on Facebook under a real life name; would give that despot real identifying info, which with cross referencing governent records for the same name (their equivallent to tax records, motor vehicle registrations, and property ownership records), would allow for; I don't think any of us wants to say it. We've seen the news I'm sure, and know well what is going on there now Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: