KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some flood pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Some flood pics Reply with quote

We got off very lightly here, unlike a lot of other areas that have houses completely submerged. Some families have lost everything, but these horrible events do bring out the best in people and I have heard lots of stories of complete strangers mucking in and helping people to clean up.
Went and took some photos a week ago of some of the usual trouble spots around here, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Places to the north and north-west of here have had it really bad, and it still hasn't peaked in some areas because the water is still traveling through the river systems.

Tooth St.

Near intersection of Taylor of Hillyard (I work just up around the corner but it was high and dry)

Near boat ramp - Point Vernon

Fraser Shores and Fraser Shores 2 were close to being flooded

Road to Burrum Heads

Near boat ramp - Point Vernon

River Heads - mouth of Susan River and Mary River

Duck pond at Point Vernon

We lived near the duck pond when we first moved here and it doesn't take much for it to go over the road, especially at high tide. I can't understand why they build new houses in such low-lying areas.

My daughter and her boyfriend had the camera to take photos of the duck pond while my mother and I stayed in the car. I heard funny grunting noises and looked up, half expecting to see a group of joggers. It was three big kangaroos heading straight for the car! They hopped over to the other side of the street to go around the car, and then hopped back to the pond side and headed straight for the kids. They were all males so I honestly thought they were going to attack the kids for being in their territory but as it turned out I think they were just looking for somewhere to get out of the rain.

My daughter managed to catch a video of them with the camera. It didn't turn out that well and the roos were much closer than they look in the video. Here is the link if you want to have a look. That's my car parked on the side of the road at the start. And no we do not normally have kangaroos hopping around in the suburbs, but that area is fairly new and the roos are getting kicked out of their habitat and have to adjust.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you keep safe Michelle....

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to invest in a handy bucket.

Ni
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Being lazy, copying and pasting from email I just sent to my dad and brother)
Quote:
Tragic event in Toowoomba this afternoon. Like a tsunami went through. Houses and cars washed away, plus deluge went down the range and washed houses and people away at Withcott and Helidon. Wall of water now heading through areas that are already flooded.
Qld Police warned everyone between Gatton and Ipswich to evacuate. Had to call Kerry (the ex - explanatory note for my looney friends) to get him to call his parents as flood level of 5 metres is expected at Rosewood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxZcR-9fmE Anna Bligh and Police Commissioner press conference tonight.

Dalby and Chinchilla and heaps of other places in southwest are flooding again.

We're okay here. We have been very, very lucky to miss out on the worst of it. Had heaps of rain and some water over roads but no heavy rain since yesterday morning. Maryborough is flooded and road to Maryborough cut and supermarket shelves here are getting pretty empty because nothing can get through from Brisbane. We may have to hunt for our food in a few days. Wink Gympie is going under, and all that water will then head for Maryborough and cause more flooding there, and then through to River Heads.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/flash-flood-hits-toowoomba/story-fn7ik2te-1225985113281

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/torrential-rain-raises-alarm-for-maryborough-gympie-wide-bay-kingaroy-cooloola-and-brisbane/story-e6freon6-1225984664015

I think this will come close to being the worst disaster in Queensland recorded history.

Trying hard to catch up on studies but too many things happening and have been spending all my time on QPS facebook page and the Weatherzone forums. Posted an assignment this morning but the mail is all disrupted too because the trucks can't get past Gympie. Oh well.

Crap. It's just starting raining pretty heavy here.

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay safe Michelle

>stats<
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're pretty right here, Stooper.
Thanks, guys.

The radar is amazing. It's like an umbilical cord attached to a low off Fiji that keeps feeding into the system affecting SEQ. We are just to the north of the heavy rainfall and the sun is out here at the moment.
Had to go to four supermarkets yesterday to do the food shopping because shelves are starting to empty. Should have put petrol in the car yesterday, because there are traffic jams near the garages today. I'll head out soon and hope they haven't run out yet.
Could be a disaster of epic proportions for south of us because the rain and storms just keep on coming, the main flood mitigation dam is almost at 200% capacity. That will mean major releases into the river system and add to the flooding that is already happen between the dam and Brisbane.

Just read on the Weatherzone forum that someone heard from a reliable source that they are pulling bodies out from the rivers and creeks at the bottom of the Toowoomba range. From what I've heard there is 100 people unaccounted for from one small town alone. Tragic. My ex in-laws live between Toowoomba and Ipswich and the water that came down from the range would have added to flooding in their area.
Most of my family, aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids as well as family friends are in Brisbane.

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing footage from Toowoomba's 'tsunami' yesterday. This place is south-west of Brisbane and on a mountain. Things like this just don't happen there as they don't have a problem with flooding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

They showed footage on the news last night that showed people in a vehicle, then they showed the same vehicle with the people sitting on top of it. As far as I know, they didn't see them again after that and nobody knows if they survived. Sad Houses and cars with people in them were washed away.

Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are safe, Michele. May I remind you that this is a perfect opportunity to lay about in a pond and distribute swords? Wink

Oh look ...

... someone put up a sign about Sir Fart! Razz
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Some pics Michelle. I hope you and your family are safe (if not just a bit moistened).

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: