KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video card compatibilty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Video card compatibilty Reply with quote

So since the video card revolution, I first became a "Heavy Hitter" and then recently I have moved into the realm of "also ran".

Gemjunkie's brag about a HD5870 finally did it and I just ordered one.

So now what? I have a machine with a 9800GTX and another machine with 2- 9800GTX's. Can I run the 5870 in the same boxes as the Nvidia cards or do I need to move the cards around and put all 3 Nvidia's in this one and the ATI in the other?

I am just a Truck Driver you know...... Confused
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mainly you want to make sure your power supply is up to it, looks like 200-225W peak. Hal9000x86 seems to be our resident expert on running a mixed ati/cuda setup.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run both of them on the same computer there is two ways to get boinc to see both card types. One is to use the 10.2 drivers, but primegrid will not work unless you use the app 10.10 or higher. The other way is to change two files for the ati card and it will work. The down side is though the directx is disabled on that card as well as aero theme if you use vista or 7. You would have to run all games using 3d and use the 9800s as your primary display port. The power supply would be the main thing to watch out for, if it has two or four 12 volt rails it will power the video cards better. You might want to look for one that is sli or crossfire ready, they are build to handle multiply video cards. I currently run a gtx470 and hd5850 in my system with a 850 watt psu. The system as a average runs around 500 watts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: