KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Primegrid Winter Solstice Challenge 18-21 December
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Primegrid Winter Solstice Challenge 18-21 December Reply with quote

I am posting early about this because of some of the changes that have happened over at Primegrid on this project that will make this challenge the biggest producing challenge yet.

The project is PPS Sieve. This project is now almost complete with a lot of GPU crunchability. They have CUDA for all platforms (MAC you need 3.2), they also have ATI CL for most platforms and may have it for all by the time the challenge starts. ATI CL is for 48xx and better ATI cards with a few exceptions in the 5xxx series I believe.

So check out your machines on this and be ready for the challenge running 18-21 December.

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't give me any WU's for my 5870. Confused

My GT240 is getting WU's, ~56 min. ea. Just started, haven't seen any points yet.

#ni-1

(older, before split CPID)
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
It wouldn't give me any WU's for my 5870. question

You do have the OpenCL 10.10 or above installed and SDK 2.2? Also you need NET 3.5 installed.

Some people need to get a APP file (Anonymous Platform) to make the ATI cards work, some do not.
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for cuda its fast on my gtx470. Each wu takes 7:51 and gives 2314 each. With one card I'm making about 400k a day. I can't use the ati open cl stuff because ati and nvidia cards do not like each others drivers in boinc. You have to change the name of two files and the direct x on the ati is disabled. But at least boinc will use the card.

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent hours trying to get this thing to work on a Linux system with a HD5570, but with no luck.

If anyone can get this to work with Linux, let me know how you did it.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A news update on the PPS Sieve:
Official release of tpsieve for PPS (Sieve)

PrimeGrid is excited to finally announce the official release of the tpsieve application in the PPS (Sieve) project. Linux, Mac, and Windows platforms for 32/64 bit are all supported as well as CUDA and OpenCL (ATI). Only Mac OpenCL is NOT currently available. Also, OpenCL requires an app_info file to run due to a scheduling request issue. However, we hope to have that problem resolved before the next Challenge (18-21 December). NOTE: Windows GPU users should update to .NET Framework 3.5.

tpsieve, based on Geoff Reynolds' original code, is a revolution to k*2^n+1/-1 sieving. Thanks in large part to Ken Brazier's updates and modifications to include simultaneous +1/-1 dat-less sieving as well as his ports to the GPU, tpsieve has changed the landscape of sieving and is now providing incredible support to the prime finding community.

Thank you Ken!!!
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to join in on this challenge. However I do have overheating issues on my GPU. Its running hot at 52C so not gonna strain it any further until next pay date when I can get a cooling system on it. Though It might be just as cheap to buy a new card.

In the mean time I'll carry on munching Sofie Germain. Yummy she taste goooooood Smile

#ni-1
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knighty NI wrote:
In the mean time I'll carry on munching Sofie Germain. Yummy she taste goooooood Smile

All yours, buddy! Ciao!

#ni-1

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knighty NI wrote:
I would love to join in on this challenge. However I do have overheating issues on my GPU. Its running hot at 52C so not gonna strain it any further until next pay date when I can get a cooling system on it. Though It might be just as cheap to buy a new card.

#ni-1

52C??? My 4850 is running at 82C...and has been for 18+ months....24/7....

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's finally up and running...

Not only do you have to install the darn ATI SDK, you need to get the system parameters set up as well and put them in some bloody invisible .bashrc file.

And they say Linux is more user friendly these days Confused

Good thing I wasn't around in the bad old days then, I suppose.

Now to see if my graphics card, with its passive cooling, is up for the task. Rolling Eyes

#ni-1

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:
52C??? My 4850 is running at 82C...and has been for 18+ months....24/7....

I can cook food in between my gpus maybe, one is 80C and the other is 90C. They also run 24/7 for around a year now.

The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading John's post I have been tinkering trying to get GPU running and munching up some shrubs to see what happens.

Lol If it fries then I am urrrmm some what stuffed for getting on line and seeing what is happening. Will just have to replace it. Until I can replace I will leave the machine running if I can hear munching activity.

So far I have failed miserably to get the GPU to munch.

Suppose that old adage "You can lead a horse to water, though you can't make it drink is true" Sad

Can someone post the online settings used at PrimeGrid please so I can make sure I am selecting the right things. Ty

On a side note, will the GPU still run alongside the CPU's thereby give me an extra munching stream?

Just munched a PPS LLR v5.11. Though I think it was CPU bound.
lunarfortress
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: buy a fermi? Reply with quote

some of you guys have the money for several computers, why not put a few 470-480 gtx in?
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently considering my options on that front lunar in this thread.

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16288 Preparation for a New Shrubber

Your thoughts would be welcome.
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knighty NI wrote:
After reading John's post I have been tinkering trying to get GPU running and munching up some shrubs to see what happens.

Lol If it fries then I am urrrmm some what stuffed for getting on line and seeing what is happening. Will just have to replace it. Until I can replace I will leave the machine running if I can hear munching activity.

So far I have failed miserably to get the GPU to munch.

Suppose that old adage "You can lead a horse to water, though you can't make it drink is true" Sad

Can someone post the online settings used at PrimeGrid please so I can make sure I am selecting the right things. Ty

On a side note, will the GPU still run alongside the CPU's thereby give me an extra munching stream?

Just munched a PPS LLR v5.11. Though I think it was CPU bound.

Sorry, I overlooked your questions.

And then select PPS sieve.

Yes, it runs alongside the CPU but uses a fraction of a core, looks like 2% in task manager at the moment on the PhenomIIx6, 12% of one core(?).

Which GPU do you have?

#ni-1

lunarfortress wrote:
some of you guys have the money for several computers, why not put a few 470-480 gtx in?

Also considering it, particularly whether the power supply will have to be changed as well. Might need more cooling, too.

#ni-2

The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics Card Info
Name NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Adapter Type GeForce 7300 GT, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)

Other System Info
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FASTERMACHINE
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-MA770-UD3
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2100 Mhz (note this is slightly clocked by 100mhz - normal is 2gb)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FG, 12/29/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name FASTERMACHINE\****
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.59 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If you need any other info about my system so that I can shrub more let me know Smile Smile
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ATI cards, 5770 & 5870. My GT240 seems to run WU's until it hits the time limit, 34:30, it looks like it would take ~50 min. to complete.

I think that 7300GT may be pre-CUDA, no mention of CUDA cores on the Nvidia site. May need to upgrade. Sad

#ni-1

Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeForce 8400 GS is the lowest desktop add on card that offers cuda, the 7300GT is from the generation before that. You can get a lower end 400 or mid to high end 200 series and have a decent cuda card.

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming one of our best Non-Project-Of-The-Month-Projects ever. Keep up the good work everybody!

>stats<
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of action going on in the slot between 19th and 9th positions. Hee eh heeee lost of jostling. By the end of December if we keep up this pace I predict that we will be in either 14th or 13th position

Position...............Team................................Current Credits...............Last 7 days...............Days to overtake
Change...............................................................................................Production
Up/Down
9.........................Ars Technica.........................114 266 361...............19 104 152
10 (11) ..............Czech National Team............110 827 590...............28 797 470..........................2d
11 (10)...............Team Norway........................110 035 344.................4 106 027
12 (14) ...............UK BOINC Team......................91 513 230...............14 863 226.......................12d
13 (12) ...............BOINC.SK................................91 050 506.................4 645 796
14 (13) ...............Ukraine...................................90 076 709.................8 973 603.........................2d
15........................AMD Users..............................86 525 801...............18 368 322.........................3d
16........................BOINC@AUSTRALIA................82 693 020..................3 073 537
17 (18 ) ..............The Knights Who Say Ni! .......75 264 653................13 439 770........................5d
18 (17) ...............Picard.....................................73 582 453..................2 408 163
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: