KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terry Pratchett Has Been Knighted. :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Terry Pratchett Has Been Knighted. :D Reply with quote

Terry Pratchett creates a sword with meteorites

Quote:
* Pratchett was knighted by the Queen
* Forged a sword to mark the occasion
* More: Technology news and reviews

ENGLISH fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett says he was so excited after being knighted by the Queen that he decided to make his own sword to equip himself for his new status.

It was not enough, however, simply to find some metal and get a blacksmith to bash it into shape.

Pratchett, believing the sword would not truly be his own unless it was made from metal he had produced, found a field with deposits of iron ore near his home in Wiltshire, west of London.

He gathered the deposits and smelted the iron ore himself.

See Sir Terry's meteorite sword here

The author, 62, who has sold about 65 million copies of his books, which include the Discworld series, said: "Most of my life I've been producing stuff which is intangible and so it's amazing the achievement you feel when you have made something which is really real."

With help from his friend Jake Keen — an expert on ancient metal-making techniques — the author dug up 81kg of ore and smelted it in the grounds of his house, using a makeshift kiln built from clay and hay and fuelled with damp sheep manure.

Pratchett, who has Alzheimer's disease, also said he had thrown in "several pieces of meteorites — thunderbolt iron, you see — highly magical, you’ve got to chuck that stuff in whether you believe in it or not".

After days of hammering the metal into bars, he took it to a blacksmith, whom he helped to shape it into a blade, which was finished with silverwork.

Pratchett has stored the sword, which he completed last year, in a secret location, apparently concerned about the authorities taking an interest in it.

He said: "It annoys me that knights aren’t allowed to carry their swords. That would be knife crime."

Excellent! An amazing man with an amazing mind. It's so sad to think that he is slowly being destroyed by Alzheimer's.
Even if I had only half of his imagination and talent, I'd be happy.

Discworld convention in Sydney next year apparently, and Sir Terry will be attending.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will he be bringing his sword?

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. Saw a photo and it looks pretty darn impressive.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Sir Hamster's Goat
Goat-tacular!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAAAA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: