KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

motherboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: motherboard Reply with quote

How much should it cost to get the Motherboard of a laptop fixed? I need to replace the motherboard of my DELL laptop. I spilled water over it and somehow it got in there. My insurance won't cover it and now I have to pay. Dell said it would cost $400. Is that reasonable or should I look else where?
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell's are somewhat problematical. Some use a reversed motherboard (plugs on the right side looking from the back), these can not be replaced with a standard MB. If the plugs are on the left, then you need to check:
1) CPU type
2) Ram type
3) MB size (ATX, Mini ATX, or Micro ATX
Since you water damaged the MB, chances are the CPU and the ram are shot. If that is the case, you are up to 300-400 bucks for a MB, CPU and Ram. And.. that is hoping that the PS is still good.
You might be further ahead to buy a new "kit" from NewEgg, Tiger, etc.

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ATX motherboard in a laptop???

NewEgg and Tiger selling laptop kits??

Perhaps get an estimate from a local repair shop, they may be able to test for other damage before committing big bucks.

(older, before split CPID)
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of dell parts you can't even order outside of dell it self. I work for a repair dept in a electronic retail store. If you get the wrong ones, they may not refund you either. Happened to one customer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: