KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folding monkeys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Folding monkeys? Reply with quote

It's been a while since I looked at the folding stats, but I snuck a peak today.

If you look at the all users list, and sort by 24-hour average, you will see that most users in the absolute top seem to have some kind of monkey business in common Confused

What's the deal with that?

Anyone got the scoop?
Arthur Lemming
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I am not seeing it...though, it looks like it were a fortnight ago. What was the monkey business you spied?

Yes, this place is really dead. No one is even beating up a Kow around here. Tsk. Tsk. Seems the Knights move to greener pastures. Did GPU folding drive most away?

#ni-1
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of GPU shrubbers around

Look at my sig and you will see that it has taken a long time to get to where I am. In terms of years we are talking 9+Very Happy However I must hasten to add that I have had some long lunch breaks as well.

There are several others here as well who only do CPU stuff, Killerwabbit being one of them Very Happy
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a rare guest here, Sir Lemming. Greetings! #ni-1

This was a long time ago. Not sure what it was about, but on the extremeoverclocking.com stats each of the larger teams production were funneled into a single account on their team for a while, and the name of all the teams accounts were monkey related. Anyway, all those accounts seem to be gone now, so never mind.

And to answer your question; Yes, the GPU folding did drive at least a few of us away, but then there was the strange bonus system for the multi-CPU units, and the even stranger bonus system for the time dependent multi-CPU units...
Oh well, most people probably left because we'd been folding for years and it was time for something new.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Arthur Lemming
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Interesting indeed. I have to agree that the scoring has become more than a bit skewed. My dad and I (KWSN_Pgeorge, KWSN_robegeor) toiled for years under the Arthur Lemming account to reach 2 million points. Those were fine, properly aged CPU shrubs mind you.

Now these youngins and their hot-rodded GPU shrubbers are just kicking us oldies aside. Though, one cannot fault the output. Shocked

My son started crunching on an Nvidia9800 under the "Isukoa" name. Pretty soon he also joined up under the Lemming account as well. Just for fun I built a mostly spare parts machine around an NVIDIA GTX 560ti. Between the two GPU machines, some old-school CPU crunchers, and a PS3 that runs F@H now and then I figure we can average 14k to 20k points per day. I lost several days last month on the GTX560 due to failure to run any kind of work-unit and we still broke 400k for the month. Seems the new NVIDIA drivers have fixed whatever the issue was so the points are slowly ramping back up. Cheap entertainment if nothing else and good to hop (no offense to Killer Rabbit) back on the forum for a bit. I might even have to find a Cow to taunt just for old times sake.

ni!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, the mega-core corporate computer users complaining that a 100x multiplier bonus isn't enough, and getting it raised is a turn-off. If a WU has a 3 week deadline and I finish it in 3 hrs., there's no bonus at all.

(older, before split CPID)
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't go as far as to say I am an old Skoolie Very Happy However, I only shrub projects that I have a real interest in. Hence doing RNA World because they examine RNA Material from many organisims and creatures that we all know and love Very Happy or love to hate #Mad

Currently I don't have a GPU that is capable of shrubbing WU's and it's not likely that I will get one for some time to come. Very happy with the 5-10k credit production I average on a daily basis with my 6 core Phenom 1100T.

Also on a mission to find projects that need RNA material processed. The types of projects I am looking for are carrying out research into bee diseases and viruses. Ideally the material can then be passed to RNA World who can carry out the processing for them.

Special interest is helping bees and pollinators because these creatures are under a lot of pressure. At present it is predicted that we could lose all of our bees within the next 10 years if we don't find answers to why they are dying off.
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all these years I have wondered who the heck this Arthur Lemming guy is Laughing

Always thought it was an alias for someone who got bored with their own account, but could never figure out who.

I thought Pgeorge and Robegeor left us a long time ago.

#ni-1

Now if only whoever is hiding behind the BigSmurf alias could come out of the closet... Confused

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit my account was in a bit of a free-fall until I got a new comp at wrok. Somehow it had a GPU in it. With the 1 GPU I have shot up (in the team and the world rankings). I can only imagine what someone with a few of those would be doing right now.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also we did the same thing by throwing all our weight behind one member for a week or randomly switching teams just to mess with the stats.

Ni
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Nice to hear from Arthur Lemming, BDA (it's a man's life...) Reply with quote

Nice to finally hear from Arthur. Your dedication to F@H is much appreciated.
I guess I'm one of those young turks being spoken of (on this thread), and since i am not so young Embarassed anymore, I'll take it as a compliment anyway.

Yes, I'm probably one of those messing-up everyone's points/rankings. I am using:
  • One - PS3 (not too many PPD, but runs consistently)
  • Two - AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE for SMP folding
  • One - ASUS GTX560ti (448 core)
  • One - ASUS GTX560ti (384 core)
  • One - MSI GTX560ti (384 core)
My public goal is to help KWSN get into the top 100 F@H teams. At the time of this post, we're at #133.

But my personal motivation is to help strike back at some of those horrid diseases that plague humanity.
My father was a victim of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's - he died at age 70.
My mother also recently passed away - a survivor of breast cancer (at age 74), but a victim of colon cancer (at age 86).

So, whatever I can contribute to F@H (within my budget) I will do gladly.

BTW - Does anyone know "Andy_Barber" (he doesn't seem to be a KWSN forum member)???
Have you seen how many shrubberies he has put in? WOW! 16+ million!!!! AWESOME!!!

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
I have to admit, the mega-core corporate computer users complaining that a 100x multiplier bonus isn't enough, and getting it raised is a turn-off. If a WU has a 3 week deadline and I finish it in 3 hrs., there's no bonus at all.

I could be wrong, but it has been my experience (since I go in streaks of obsessively watching stats) that CPU/SMP folding WUs do give a "speed" bonus, but GPU WUs do not.
The new V7 F@H client is very nice - if you're still running the older clients, it may be worthwhile to uninstall them and install the new client.

I used to have this elaborate Windows-7 scheduler set-up to start the V6 clients (using the "-oneunit" switch) so I could schedule an approximate 10 minute cool-down period between WUs for my shrubbers [GTX200 series].
But three things have changed for me:
1) I have better shrubbers (GTX560ti - they run cooler & faster, etc),
2) I have loaded my cases with some monstrous Scythe fans, and
3) the V7 client keeps everything running smoothly.

Since I do folding 24x7, I'm OK with the V7 client pulling down the next work-unit when GPU WU reaches 99.00% done, and CPU/SMP reaches 99.99% done.

Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up F@H when 1 machine could get more points in 1 day then I accumulated over 5 years. Not that I was the #1 shrubber but it does feel like a "what the f*@k are you doing here?" message from the F@H people.

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh it has been almost a year to the day when I last posted to this thread. At the time think I had less than 1 mill credits for more than 8 years of shrubbing.

The 6 core has certainly made a difference over the last 12 months and accounts for about 1.6 mill over that time.

Well CPU stuff is the same. Still shrubbing RNAWorld and the like because I want to make a difference as well.

Predicted that I would get a GPU at some stage.

The new shiny toy is in the box now.

Installed just a month ago and what a difference it has made in terms of credits. More than 5 mill in one month.

Looking for the right project to sit it on that has the potential to make a difference now. Thinking GPUgrid at the moment unless someone has any other ideas. RNAWorld haven't gone down the GPU enabled WU's route yet.
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I'll have to get inspired by some new folks trying to spur the team on. Wink
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete-mixing Moose wrote:
I gave up F@H when 1 machine could get more points in 1 day then I accumulated over 5 years. Not that I was the #1 shrubber but it does feel like a "what the f*@k are you doing here?" message from the F@H people.

Sorry you felt put-off, I hope it wasn't anything I said or did. Embarassed

The curious thing is, it really doesn't matter the size of the WU or the points.
The F@H project (as well as others) is a kind of lottery-based computing game.
For example, I have put in a ton of hours (and $) into this project.
All it takes is for one WU to yield a 'key-result' to provide the clarion answer which points to a cure for some horrid disease.
But this result could come from anyone, at any time...it's really a craps-shoot!
Does this invalidate anyone else's contributions? No, certainly not.
I don't care if someone else's shrubber provides a "key-result"...what I do care about is that a "key-result" is found.

Unlike a lottery, however, the WUs that do not yield a key-result are also very valuable in scientific terms.
These WUs inform the researchers which methodologies will work and won't work in very clear, precise, and unambiguous ways.

Although it is more costly (in terms of PPD/watt), I still keep my PS3 going 24x7 for F@H just because of this "lottery-effect". Very Happy

And while I am forced to admit to being a bit of a "points-whore", my competitiveness is not intended to humiliate, infuriate, or intimidate others.
At the end-of-the-day, it's all for a worthy cause.
Maybe I'm rationalizing it, but I regard F@H somewhere between a "hobby" and an "obsession". My [rationalized?] word is "passion".

Many of my personal friends and co-workers think of me as being an odd-ball (aka Loonie).
I make a decent salary, but I drive around in a 20+ year old rust-bucket.
I spend an inordinate proportion of my disposable income on F@H (that's the consensus opinion of my friends & co-workers).
Those friends & co-workers have other priorities (or obligations).
They sometimes poke fun at me for driving the old rust-bucket - but it gets me where I need to go, so I don't have a problem with it.

Maybe I should get off my soap-box. I understand that I can get 'preachy' at times - please forgive.

And, on behalf of the other KWSN F@H-ers, we'd like to have you back in the 'fold' (ahem, pun intended) with whatever resources you'd like to throw this way!
#ni-1

Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting_things_on_top wrote:
Sorry you felt put-off, I hope it wasn't anything I said or did. Embarassed

#ni-1

No, I was there for 5 years folding away. I remember when there was only 1 client, then came the PS3, then the multicore & GPU and then the big adv extra bonus WUs. I never was a big producer but the credit system was completely screwed up by the big adv WUs.
#ni-1

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: