KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To the 3,862 users behind me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Tanuts R Us
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: To the 3,862 users behind me... Reply with quote

Nya nya! 9th on the team, 216 in the country (USA), 600 in the world, rapidly approaching 18m credits with a steady 6 digit RAC. GPUs are wonderful.

Of course without MW my expected position by RAC is falling quickly (already dropped from a predicted 230 to 330). Hopefully I'll be able to swing an HD5850 for Xmas. Or at least another 4870. Rolling Eyes

I've also succeeded in dropping my first 3 months to invisible on the bar chart. Wonder how long it'll take to bury the first 6, or 12 hehe.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the GPUs.

4th on the team, 9th in the UK (of 104,465), low 160's in the world, should get to 50 million at the end of the month, 55m by Xmas, with a steady 2 x 6-digit RAC. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

That's with 3 x GTS250 & 3 x HD4850; I'm aiming for either another 2 x 4850 or 1 x 5850 before Xmas.

... and I've nearly got my whole first year to an invisible state. It took 2¼ years for my first 5 million, now I'm doing 5m in ~3 weeks!!

(this isn't an attempt to belittle your hard-won stats, but I couldn't resist the implicit challenge. Twisted Evil Laughing )

#ni-1 , #ni-1 and thrice #ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know wot you mean...GPUs have been a godsend...

Good job, JerWA!!! #ni-1 #ni-2 #ni-1

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alright Al, I remember when our stats weren't quite so far apart lol. It's just odd to think that ~27% of the teams RAC is now having a conversation in this thread. It'd be more, but I'm a slacker compared to you two.

Poor Coconuts seems to have given up. I remember seeing that account so far out ahead of everyone, steadily producing such insane (30k/day) numbers while I was doing maybe 1k/day. Now look... almost inactive, down to 6th, falling fast. Makes me sad, really.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree wholeheartedly with the sadness sentiment. People, especially those with borged work machines, have toiled for years to get themselves into an exalted position, and now find all that hard work undone in a very short space of time. It must be very demoralising.

I think GPUs have to a large extent ruined competitive BOINCing. Now for a couple of hundred dollars you can turn almost any old shrubber into a monster. I wish there were independent league tables for CPU & GPU; that would sort the men from the boys.

But que sera, que sera; if you can't beat 'em, you may as well join 'em, which is why I (and probably you) are where we are today. Technology marches on, so we have to keep up with the Joneses.

"I didn't get where I am today without using GPUs" (if the original Reggie Perrin was exported; Sunshine Desserts all round.).

[/rant] as it's nearly time to set up for the PG challenge.

[aside] Don't think I haven't noticed you sneaking up in SIMAP, expect a bit of opposition next month - I've lost too many KWSN #1s recently to give up another without a fight Laughing [/aside]

#ni-1 , and happy shrubbing to all who sail in her.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I just commented yesterday that it took me 6+ years to get to 300K in Seti and I passed that in Collatz in less than 4 days.....Kinda makes Borging obsolete #ni-1

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I haven't added anything for GPU crunching, just fired up what I already had. I'm a gamer, so buying a vid card that isn't better than what I've got already is a sin. So, while I could have stuffed a bunch of cheap 4650s in machines and jumped 100k/day, I'm holding off for a 4890 or maybe 5850 which will go in my main machine, then my 4870 will move to my g/fs machine, and her 4350 will probably move to my system for multi-mon (don't think my board supports CfX).

Then, next year (yes, it's slipped for sure) when I build my new PC, the 4890/5850 will move there, 4870 will move back to my old PC which will become my g/fs, and the 4350 will move back to the AMD box that will (finally) become the NAS hehe.

PS: I agree on the CPU/GPU stats thing. I don't think it's too late. There are few projects, even fewer that do both, and the stats sites should be able to split it from their end too.

PS again: And yeah, SIMAP was my PoTM Razz They had lots of work, I figured I'd take advantage of it. It's the 13th, and they've still got almost 50k WUs to send. All my machines were on Malaria, but I've NNT them all to SIMAP only now hehe. You could probably stop me from passing you if you did it right now. #ni-1

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the project's perspective, a task done is a task done; and a contributed WU is a contributed WU. Kinda sucks when looking at the comparison's that I just can't get a newer gfx card then the Radeon 9600, but oh well. I knew back in the day that PCs based on the x86 proc weren't out-competing Alphas and UltraSPARCs on WU completion times back then either. Albeit the GPU adds a whole new dimension; as the dif between a Pentium 3 and an Alpha might have been the dif of say 1 hour (EV6) on a SETI WU, vs 4 or 5 hours on the PIII, and yet now we're talking hours vs around a min or less. But such are the breaks.

Until I can get a GPU though; I'm out of the running wrt taunts on GPU machines however. I just don't have one Surprised

Speaking of which, I remember getting credit totals up, when a single SETI classic WU earned just 1 credit each #ni-1

Fredericx51
Baron
Baron

Location: Somewhere @ 38C south of the Northpole, probably in a solar powered iglo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-2 Shocked Difference between CPU and GPU, indeed, quite insane Shocked #ni-1

Six* years CPU crunching on 2
QUAD's, a P4Dual(sold/exchanged) for another QUAD Extreme X9650 and 2 G92 based CUDA card's, compaired to a HD5770 and 1 core of a Q6600, gives the same credit in just 4 month's.
#ni-1 #ni-1

A good example of Moore's Law.
If I'm not terribly mistaken, #ni-1 #ni-2

*I did start in november 1999, but lost my E-Mail adress , due to moving to another town.
Started again, 2004, but seriously upped my crunching power in December 2007.

#ni-2 #ni-1

Currently burning:
2 QUAD's Q6600, 1 WIN (stock)XP32, VISTA stock , 1 QX9650@ 3.6GHz.WIN XP64,GTX480.
1 HP Pav LT(Leisure);C2D T2400+7400GT.
1 HP Pav Desktop:Q6600+GTS250
and a i7-2600+2x HD5870.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still working on my first million. Sad

Ni
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in october 06 and only had 105k on cpu. Took a long break and now with gpus I have just over 14 million credits since august 99. 98% of the wus have been done by one machine. Scary stuff.

Altivec
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerrabbit wrote:
I am still working on my first million. Sad

Ni
I may get my million before you! Ni! =)

The Knighty NI
Prince
Prince

Location: Lost in space on a rather small Blue ping pong ball. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing CPU shrubbing on and off since 2004 ish. Still after my 1st Mill so was quite excited when I went over the 1st 100k fairly recently. Now at about 442k and feeling very happy about it.

Just saddened that Seti seems to be taking a high handed approach on their forum towards users, so have stopped shrubbing for them. They were the reason that I started donating my spare puter time to distributed computing.

Probably not gonna be moving off CPU bound projects for some time now as that seems to be where the real science resides and that's why I am doing a lot of RNA World.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Tanuts R Us All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: