KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collatz go boom =\
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it runs on gpu's that other projects disdain...

I have it running on my laptop with a 9600m gs. it takes between 2.5 & 4 hours on that.
so it might work with Onboard video as well... Just make sure you have the newest drivers
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I just got work
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Idan
UN-Smitten
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI: http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/power_apps.php

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the "power apps." If you run BOINC manager 6.10.13 or newer it will automatically download and use the optimized app that is best for whatever you're running. That includes multiple resources (like running an ATI and an NVidia card in the same machine), and updating versions automatically.

If you use app_info by manually installing apps you break that functionality entirely. Don't do it. Get BOINC 6.10.13 or newer (I'm having good luck with .17 and .18) and just let it do its thing.

These screen shots are from 6.10.13 with no app_info, allowing the project to pick apps based on the feature-set the BOINC manager is telling it my system supports. Notice all the different app versions between CPU, ATI, and NVidia.

Multiple mixed GPUs:

"Wide open" (run on everything):

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom again Sad
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, out of disk space again.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be back....
392,000 yesterday Very Happy
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, but according to their page the minimum driver version has gone up. Higher than what I'm using, but I'm using one of the power apps which hasn't changed version so I need to poke at it again when I finish converting to boinc 6.10.18
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use power apps, they are pointless now. You will, at most, miss 2-3 days of the new apps when they come out. Once he's decided the app is stable it becomes the new default app, so you will pick them up automagically hehe.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't download it automatically and according to the collatz site they still require a manual install. I'll let it try again and see if it does anything. Seti also did not download a cuda app or one of the opti-apps that I know off. I'm pretty sure enigma I'll have to install myself as well. Are you sure it does that for the opti/power apps and not just for the regular downloadable apps? I know from reading that if can distinguish between ati and cuda and download the appropriate app for the card but I thought that was only for the standard apps as well.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying is the "normal" apps ARE the optimized apps. Even for CPU, the BOINC Manager now passes along your capabilities (like SSE) and the server will give it the best app for you.

My system I'm on right now was running Collatz on CPU, an ATI GPU, and an Nvidia GPU all at once without me doing anything at all. Each version was the correct/most recent app available for that platform.

Beyond that I was also involved in testing the changes that makes this stuff possible, the Collatz admin was helping the BOINC folks add it to the code. It works great now.

This only works if the project is taking it into account, and is running fairly new server side code. MilkyWay and Collatz for sure support it, and on Collatz at least I know it works.

As for SETI and Enigma and god knows who else, it probably isn't working yet (or won't ever, if they're not interested). It requires, as mentioned, a lot of project-side work and new server code and is mostly centered around GPUs. I was speaking only towards Collatz, as this is a thread about Collatz hehe.

Edit: Another note, you have to set your project preferences as well. By default it is set to CPU only! So on the Collatz page, go to your account, then project preferences, and enable GPU (and disable CPU if you want). If you want it to run while you're on the system you have to change the settings in the BOINC Manager too, which defaults to no GPU work while users are active.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my preferences in collatz set for both cpu and gpu. I was using a custom app_info yesterday that was pulling and crunching cuda WUs for it. Installed the new boinc last night and it won't pull any gpu WUs. Did this new code make it into 6.10.18 or only later versions of 6.10?
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code changes went live in 6.10.13, and the screen shots I posted above were from that version. All my machines are 6.10.17 and 6.10.18, still working normally.

Did you reset the project and/or wipe the directory it stores in? Did you restart the BOINC Manager? The app_info is cached, so any changes (including removing it) won't take effect until you shut BOINC all the way down and restart it.

When BOINC starts does it see your CUDA device still? Should say so in the messages tab.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in a completely different directory. I heard it was supposed to do this automatically, so this new version sees nothing from the old one (except for the ssl certificate that WCG supposedly needs which I copied over and it still won't accept). The one is shut down, I'm using the new manager and yes it does see my cuda device, gpugrid is shrubbing along nicely (I didn't let gpugrid get anything until after I gave up on collatz). The only thing I noticed is that collatz (on it's web site) wants a slightly higher driver version than what I'm using (I have 190.25). That being said, it worked just an hour earlier on my drivers, so....

There is no app_info.xml in that directory, but glancing through a few of the ones that are shrubbing, they don't appear to have them anymore either.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd assume the driver issue is why it's not pulling a client. They can put driver requirements in the server code now and it will give you an app based on that. Maybe they require that driver version. App_info would ignore/be ignorant of that requirement and therefore run. Whether or not it gave good results in another matter, and I have no idea. But that requirement is there for a reason after all.

I've only been running NV cards recently and put the newest drivers on, so I've not tried what would happen with older drivers. The ATI drivers were a nightmare for the longest time, I didn't want to go down that path again heh.

You could ask them in their forum.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go gpu grid for a few more days. Some peeps are working out the kinks in the source code for nvidia 190.42 Soon as it's good I'll compile and use that instead. It is the newest version so there should be no complaints then.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And boom once again. WUs stacking up unable to get through to the scheduler. Site shows a 10 hour backlog on transitioning WUs, and 1 ready to be sent. Rolling Eyes

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I switched over to MW... Twisted Evil

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that on my 4890 and it wouldn't pull any work. <shrug> MW doesn't get us vault points anyways. And only runs on 2 of the 7 graphics card I have access to. Poor trade really.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been home all week, and it's hard to keep up with the news.

does anybody know when it will be back?
I am probably good thru today but I will have starving GPU's after that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: