KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoob
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Ubuntu help needed Reply with quote

I just went through the Ubuntu 8.10 install on another computer but I'm having a problem connecting to it from my Vista box. Not only through the BOINC manager, but also SSH, Telnet and Windows Explorer. I can, however, connect to it just fine from my other Linux boxes via SSH and telnet.

I can ping the machine, ssh localhost, I can use PuTTY (from the Vista box) to connect to the other Linux boxes (one Ubuntu 8.10, the other Gentoo), and I can get to the samba shares on the others as well....just not this one, for some reason. #Mad

Any unix guys have any ideas? I've Googled to my hearts content and have found several "close" fixes, but no dice for me. I'm willing to try anything right about now....including starting over with a fresh install, but I don't want all of this to be a waste of time (about 7 hours is all though). Confused

nu!

edit: I'm so tired I forgot to mention that the message I get from PuTTY is "Connection refused". So, it's not "Host not found", which is good, I guess. Just gotta find that switch that says, "don't refuse connections" or whatever. Smile

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu by default does not install an ssh server.

Open up synaptic and install the ssh package (it will install a couple other packages.

Go back to your other machine and try again. It will show the key, type yes to accept it and your golden.

I forget if you have to open the port also, if it still acts up holler and I'll give you directions to open it.

#ni-1
shoob
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...

Yep, got the ssh server installed and setup. Have Samba and telnetd installed and configured as well. No luck with either. The port (22) is apparently open because I can connect from the other two linux boxes.

I connect to those linux boxes with PuTTY in Vista just fine. Just not the new one. It's really weird.

So, in a nutshell, here's what's happening:

Old Linux 1 -> New Linux [OK]
Old Linux 2 -> New Linux [OK]
Vista -> Old Linux 1 [OK]
Vista -> Old Linux 2 [OK]
Vista -> New Linux [FAIL]

shoob
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps:

Old Linux 1 = Ubuntu 8.10
Old Linux 2 = Gentoo 2.6.27
New Linux = Ubuntu 8.10

Here's something else interesting:

New Linux -> Old Linux 1 [FAIL] (Connection refused, same as Vista -> New Linux)
New Linux -> Old Linux 2 [OK]

shoob
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm. On a whim (and it had been a while anyway) I rebooted the Vista machine and re-attempted to connect through PuTTY and it let me in. I can also now connect to it through BOINC Manager.

However, the Vista PC doesn't "see" the New Linux box in Windows Explorer/Network. Trying \\new-linux in Win Explorer says it can't find the computer.

So, something is still awry (probably concerning Samba now) but I'm happy now that I can see it running in BOINC and can ssh to it! #ni-1

Trying to understand all of this is enough to drive a guy mad! Mad I tell ya! Attica! Soylent Ubuntu is people! It's people!!

nu!

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure, install a firewall manager. I think firestarter is in Ubuntu's repository. Add rules allowing connections from your main box and add a rule opening port 22.

I have ubuntu 8.10 on my old thunderbird and I did that before I added the ssh server a while back and it fixed that same problem.
shoob
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and advice Yankton!

I finally got just about everything working now. The only thing left are Samba write permissions to the shares on the Linux boxes, but that's not really that important. I can ssh, telnet and connect to all the boxes just fine now.

Thanks, again!

nu!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: