KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am on a quest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: I am on a quest. Reply with quote

I am looking for a non-BOINC project or two that is minimally invasive to the BOINC work being done on my machines. This means I do not want to see more than small percentage drop on my BOINC crunching.

So, I request some guidance from the fellow loonies here to help me expand my shurbbary in a most efficient way.

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one that really qualifies is Dimes.

It's mapping the internet, using PING & TRACEROUTE, with up to 4 measurements per minute. Processor time is miniscule, unless you like the pretty graphics, and bandwidth useage is perhaps a few hundred KB/day. We've also got Norway steaming up at 5x our rate, so the more we can get on board the better. (For scoring purposes, I've got ~15 machines running it, generating 60-75K measurements/day).

One that nearly qualifies is Majestic12, which is an English attempt at a decent search engine. It uses less than 1% of a core while doing the measurements (normally in "buckets" of 10,000 URLs), but this goes up to ~30% for a few minutes while the results are compressed for sending back to base. The downside is that it will soak up any bandwidth you can throw at it, although you can limit this to whatever you choose, and also set up timed variations (I get throttled back during the evening, so I've got mine set to 60% of my 20Mb line during the day and 10% while I'm being throttled back to ~5Mb, which leaves a bit for other things like BOINC, DIMES and me). The Kows are a long-term challenge in this one.

All the others I know about are crunchers, so need a core per pop.

Ooh, there is one more, not anything in the least bit scientific, just a bit of fun - WhatPulse. This is purely a key counter which transmits your number of key-strokes and mouse-clicks back to base whenever you want. No processor, no bandwidth.

#ni-1

Al

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I installed Dimes, but it's not very intuitive to run. It asked a bunch of questions, which I answered, logged into the website to join the team, but when I try to run the agent, it says it's already running, but I cannot find a way to see it, and see if it's working.

I am lost.

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems in the past, it's running as a service, without any way to interact that I can see.

The way I get out of it is to uninstall then install, but uncheck the "service" tick-box, so it can only run as a normal application.

When it's running, you should get an option to join a team; KWSN is about 6 clicks down in the drop-down. If you don't get the option (I can't remember if it's there or not), go to Agents/Properties/Groups and join KWSN there. You should also go to Agents/Properties/Network and move the "Delay between Measurements" slider to minimum (15 secs); that maximises your score.

If you want to leave it on the desktop, go to the "Measurements" tab and drag the window do just show a couple of "MeasurementExecute" lines - that will show you it's still working without using up any cycles to generate it's graphics.

Don't worry if it occasionally (normally weekends) stops doing measurements; the sites down. It'll pick up again on Monday morning, and you're not wasting any resources while it's doing nothing much.

#ni-1

Al

Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I am on a quest. Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
I am looking for a non-BOINC project or two that is minimally invasive to the BOINC work being done on my machines. This means I do not want to see more than small percentage drop on my BOINC crunching.

So, I request some guidance from the fellow loonies here to help me expand my shurbbary in a most efficient way.

Ni Sir Pooh !!

Sir Tooths post below yours (see above post 2) is correct . However , please be AWARE that MJ 12 will use every bit of bandwidth you have , so if you are "capped" in any way (ie limited to a monthly Up/Down limiit) - you may find you have used your allowance in just a few days (unless you monitor it quite carefully and edit !!) . Really only a good idea if you are "Unlimited" on your ISP . BUT it is a Vault project , so very worthwhile to KWSN !

Any Vault project helps KWSN in the "Real" stats , and the key-press thingy is not in the Vault (Sorry AL Embarassed ) , but fun !
Just about all the other non Boinc projects are CPU hogs , unless you manually restrict them (or memory hogs) . Most Boinc projects allow you to do this via the manager , and if you load in more than one project in Boinc , if one falls over (whatever reason) then the other Boinc project will take up the "slack" . Not allways the case in Non Boinc stuffs - needs monitoring .

Hope this helps .

This is a big subject - and I have not even touched on the projects that may appeal or otherwiswe to a "Cruncher" , there are some out there that are for profit(*) [Theirs] only Rolling Eyes .
Dimes is good .

Regds Grizz .

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took some poking and prodding, but it looks like "Vista" did not want to start the service without going in and telling it to start the first time.

Now it's running and I already have:
Number of Measurement Units: 442
ASes and AS Links: 0

So, it's going. Whatever this means, I am unsure. I am trying to understand the boards, but they are pretty spotty on good information.

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what the heck are ASes and AS Links, and how do I get them?

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain of the exact definition, but ASes are something to do with complete networks, and AS Links are the paths into them.

Getting them is down to luck - it was a year before I noticed I'd got a few.

There's a full description on their site somewhere, but it's a long time since I delved in, so I can't give you a reference I'm afraid.

But I shouldn't worry about them; although they're quoted in the stats, and are obviously important in the context of the internet mapping the project is doing, they don't influence your score at all.

The important thing from the project's point of view is to have as many different starting points as possible to get the best geographical coverage they can.

#ni-1

Al

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one of my machines keeps shutting Dimes down on itself. I have it as a service, and it's upsetting me.

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
OK, one of my machines keeps shutting Dimes down on itself. I have it as a service, and it's upsetting me.

Same machine keeps doing this. Out of 4 machines only one keeps stopping the service. It's driving me nuts. Nothing different about this machine from any other machine that I can tell.

KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
Pooh Bear 27 wrote:

Same machine keeps doing this. Out of 4 machines only one keeps stopping the service. It's driving me nuts. Nothing different about this machine from any other machine that I can tell.

Maybe it needs a good BOINCING instead Confused #ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
KWSN SpongeBob SquarePant
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<br><br>
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=e4befed74f2fd0e20845d7958a1ffbbe&cols=3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: