KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cray TimeShare (No Fibbin'!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Cray TimeShare (No Fibbin'!) Reply with quote

I just became aware of where I may be able to use a Cray! (need to research that..) Anybody know if BOINC runs on it? It mentions Unix, so I probably need to go that route. Time would be limited, (duh), so needless to say short WUs... Howzabout MilkyWay? I'll be looking into this one, fer SURE! Fingers-crossed! I'll let everybody know!
And a 'Thank You' to Leibniz Rechenzentrum, München #ni-2

Times of operation: 24x7 (from Nov 27th only every Saturday)
Machine Type: Cray Y-MP EL (Entry Level)
Serial number: 5176
Year of introduction: 1991
CPU Type: Cray Y-MP EL (Vector processor, CMOS technology)
Number of processors: 4
Main memory: 128 MWords -> 1024 MByte
Word length: 64 bit
Binary compatibility: up to the Cray-1 (1976)
Local storage: 2x DD4 Hard Disks - 1 GB each
One IBM 3740 (?) tape drive
Network connectivity: 10 MBit Ethernet
125 MBit FDDI
Specified performance: 133 MFlops per CPU peak
4-8 times a Cray-1
1/4 of a Cray-2

Measured peak performance: 460 MFlops (A 2.4 GHz P4/RDRAM is 770 MFlops on the same benchmark problem, huge matric multiply, with Linux gnu cc -O3)
Operating system: Cray UNICOS 9.0.2.2 (Unix-based)
Commercial products installed: C Compiler, F77 Compiler
Free software installed (/usr/local): Bash, GNU Make, Readline, GZip, less, vim, unzip, GNU tar, xaos, perl (in /opt)
Donated by: Leibniz Rechenzentrum, München [/i]
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.........

Whose the MAN?!?! #ni-1
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, Papa Smurph, I couldn't catch up to you! LOL!

IF... I can use it, I'd hope they don't change their mind. After all, what we do is for the most part 'not-4-profit' (with a few exceptions, and I hope I'll miss those projects!). And if it happens I can NOT use it, maybe I can at least get THEM to Shrub in behalf of KWSN themselves...

And I'll save my ca$h for my own MiCray$oft CX-1! Riiiiiight!

Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm speechless. You would take over 1st on the team overnight.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not the best person to be any sort of contact person. I don't 'do' normal-type social interactions and stuff. If someone ELSE is a good person, sweet-talkin' and stuff, I'd be VERY happy to share this info! I'd hate to be turned down (for the Team) just because I'm not 'Corporate Material', y'know? I'm just a plain-spoken ol' country boy, and let the chips fall where they may... "Does not work well with others, Approach with caution"-type...

Any takers out there? MUST be good with PR stuff! Representing the team, y'know? I hesitate, I'd hate to blow THIS one!

http://www.cray-cyber.org/general/start.php

"Our work is dedicated to the memory of Seymour Cray, Control Data Corporation, and Cray Research, Inc., and to the history of supercomputing.

We serve this task by preserving and exhibiting machines and documents connected with the Cray legacy. Where possible we keep the machines running and publicly accessible free of charge."
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps then WCG would be the best project to Pump....

We sure could use the help there.....

Current projects are

Quote:
What We Do

Exciting work is now under way on projects that hold tremendous potential to benefit humanity.

Nutritious Rice for the World
Help Conquer Cancer
Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 Project
FightAIDS@Home Project
How Grid Computing Works

I think Mr. Cray just might have approved.
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rather depends who one is talking to. Some people like a nice presentation, thoroughly presented by expert PR people with all the pretty graphs, and what not. And others see through it for the hollow shell it can sometimes be, and might begin to yawn; let along notify whoever that their time as a senior exec is not unlimited; so would you please get to the point already #ni-1

A lot can depend on the temperment of the individual, their schedule; and also at times if they're middle management looking to impress, or someone who is already near the top, with a busy schedule who would rather not be "handled" in such way by every upshot looking to butter them up #ni-1 Hell, back when my mother worked at Allstate, the upper management was rather displeased with the middle management she worked under, and quickly transfered her to another department and promoted her, after appreciating her honesty in disclosing some rather dishonest and manipulative antics from her more immediate bosses (who after an investigation got quickly canned).

I can't say that the people you are talking with in particular are one sort of person or another; I don't know them. But if the offer is comming from people you know/are friends with, they might not be expecting a 2,000 page presentation on the merits of allowing someone they know, to run BOINC on their box... Only you can say what impressions you got, when they made the offer; so best to go with it, and not worry too much about "messing it up". If the team gets the crunch time, it will be nice; if not, such is life.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we try to pick the sanest one among us. But can we set up BOINC remotely is the question.

Ni
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerrabbit wrote:
I guess we try to pick the sanest one among us.

So it is a lost cause already, as there are no sane people here.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble that remark!

To clarify things, I am NOT in contact with anyone there. I ran across this possibility and saw it as an opportunity for ME to do something good for the team. I decided against that, opting instead to let you all kNIgghts know about it. Clearly, I have no gift of gab and so could well step on my own feet asking for their kind permission. I would like it a LOT if someone ELSE would ask, someone bold, adventuresome, etc. I'm more Interested in someone on the team making this happen than I am in grabbing glory for myself.

I appreciate the nudge for me to do it myself, I really do. I just am VERY reluctant to screw anything up. I REALLY think we have a chance at something... Really Different...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: