KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoot the Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Shoot the Moon Reply with quote

If you stand on the moon and shoot a gun, will it fire just like it was on Earth? What would it take to put the bullet into orbit?

Shoot the Moon

Smile
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the initial velocity would be greater ( muzzle velocity ) and since there is no drag the bullet would travel at that velocity constantly.
Also since the gravity is 1/6th the earth's it would drop at 1/6 th the rate ie: travel further before hitting the ground.

as far as orbiting I suppose it depends on the mass and velocity of the projectile. but I am reasonably sure that a bullet fired from the surface would not orbit.

I have always wondered if you could actually shoot a gun in an airless environment. Does the powder have its own oxidant or is that contained in the casing? I think the latter. #ni-1
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
I think the initial velocity would be greater ( muzzle velocity ) and since there is no drag the bullet would travel at that velocity constantly.
Also since the gravity is 1/6th the earth's it would drop at 1/6 th the rate ie: travel further before hitting the ground.

as far as orbiting I suppose it depends on the mass and velocity of the projectile. but I am reasonably sure that a bullet fired from the surface would not orbit.

I have always wondered if you could actually shoot a gun in an airless environment. Does the powder have its own oxidant or is that contained in the casing? I think the latter. #ni-1

It's all explained in the article.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, there's a linky?

I see, just a rhetorical Question eh, My Bad Embarassed
Cow_tipping
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article explains that bullet cartridges carry their own oxidizers, but does that include the air normally trapped in between the gunpowder?
If so, that air may have leaked from the cartridge when exposed to the vacuum possibly preventing the bullet from firing.

On the other hand, if the firing cap on the bullet provides enough of a blast to make the powder in the gun react with its bounded oxidizers it would fire like normally I assume.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been thinking ( Dangerous, I know ) but,

Gunpowder is really a very scientific substance, the burn rate is quite slow, relatively speaking, and designed to provide a thrust over time to the projectile. There are different formulas used on different rounds, type of weapon and uses.

So, I am thinking that since the bullet does not have to push the column of air out of the barrel as it moves along it may leave the barrel before the powder has time to provide maximum thrust. That would actually result in a slower muzzle velocity.

I have a .357 S&W and the fireball at the end of the barrel is about the size of a beachball ( at night ) when looking down the barrel, from the side it is more teardrop shaped. mine has a 4.5 inch barrel, However my buddy has the same gun with a 6 inch barrel and the fireball on his is only the size of a basketball. With the same ammo of course. Therefore, his burns more powder and those gasses are in contact with the bullet for a longer time which produces a much higher muzzle velocity, and also a smalller fireball of unburned powder.
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
...the fireball at the end of the barrel is about the size of a beachball ( at night ) when looking down the barrel...

There speaks a true Loonie. Laughing

It's actually the explosion that pushes the air out of the barrel, not the projectile; the burning gasses appear out of the barrel BEFORE the bullet, so the effect of air resistance on it is negligible or non-existent. But I think you're right about the longer barrel producing a higher muzzle velocity.
The rifling in the barrel will have more effect on exit speed than the air being pushed out of the way.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fired a .357 (6 inch barrel) a few times and I can attest to one hell of a kick.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to shoot .22 rifle & pistol (as a competitive sport) in my yoof, which is very controllable. But I went to Bisley (the UK National shooting centre) a couple of times and tried a 9mm (.354) Parabellum - it felt as if it had dislocated my shoulder; certainly my shoulder and wrist were a bit tender for a couple of days after firing a dozen rounds.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another friend of mine had a 30-30 hunting rifle and I fired 3 rounds. It felt like I was smacked with a baseball bat in the shoulder. I had a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my chest and shoulder.
I handed him the rifle back and said " I don't ever want to see this again" #ni-1
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Dente wrote:
I used to shoot .22 rifle & pistol (as a competitive sport) in my yoof, which is very controllable. But I went to Bisley (the UK National shooting centre) a couple of times and tried a 9mm (.354) Parabellum - it felt as if it had dislocated my shoulder; certainly my shoulder and wrist were a bit tender for a couple of days after firing a dozen rounds.
I used to shoot .22 (school rifle range only) and then progressed to .303 (Lee Enfields!) as part of the ACF training.
The recoil is something of a shock the first time you fire one - a bit like being kicked in the shoulder by a hooker (rugby player Rolling Eyes ).
Everyone who hadn't braced themselves properly ended up with massive bruising and one person managed to break their collarbone!

We then progressed to Bren (sub machine guns) which also used the .303 cartridges and felt like being kicked in the shoulder by the whole team... Embarassed
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-KaUl_olo

I've never seen them all 6.5 min
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fired a variety of guns through out my life. The Colt .45 (when I was about 10 or so) after 2 shots it nearly came out of my hands (I decided that it would not be a good idea to continue).

I also fired an M1 Carbine (I was about 14 at the time) that a friend of my family had from his days in the Korean War. Holy Sh@t!!!!! 2 shots and it felt like my arm was just about ripped off. Thank God it was winter time out and I had a heavy thick coat on. There would have been a bruise.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furry Mark's mention of ACF brought to mind one of those inconsequential remarks that stick with you always.

I was ATS (Air Taining Squadron), and was going for my first flight, in an Auster (only a small step up from the canvas and dope earliest aircraft). I was advised by the pilot (a real "old school" RAF type, handlebar moustache and all) to tuck my trouser-legs into my socks as the wind would proceed up my right leg, around Clapham Junction and down the left; and in so doing it would freeze my b*lls off.

Not particularly relevant, just an ancient memory brought to life.

Al

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well back when I was a kid... Laughing

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhastPhred wrote:
Yeah, well back when I was a kid... Laughing

... and you put that up to your shoulder!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

#ni-1
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
So, I am thinking that since the bullet does not have to push the column of air out of the barrel as it moves along it may leave the barrel before the powder has time to provide maximum thrust. That would actually result in a slower muzzle velocity. ...

That would mean that the gun is not efficient, because the bullet isn't getting the maximum "push", but less time to burn implies the bullet is faster - not slower.

I haven't really thought this out, but I am wondering if it is possible for a barrel to be too long? If the gasses finish burning before the bullet exits the barrel, then won't they start dragging the bullet? Scratch that - If the gas is no longer expanding faster than the bullet is traveling, then the bullet starts pulling the gas - slowing it down. I think?
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you do the math on the powder burn rate the answer is no

Saddam's Babylon Gun.

Quote:
1989 May - Baby Babylon Supergun completed The Baby Babylon was completed at Jabal Hamrayn, 145 km north of Baghdad. The horizontally-mounted gun was 45-m long with a 350 mm barrel, and had a total mass of 102 tonnes. Following tests using lead projectiles the gun was reassembled on a hillside at a 45 degree angle. It was expected to achieve a range of 750 km. One of the planned missions for the prototype gun was as an anti-satellite weapon. It would launch a special shell in space that would explode near the target satellite, covering it with sticky material and blinding it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: