KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening Ceremony
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Opening Ceremony Reply with quote

The Opening Ceremony started at 10pm our time (8pm Beijing), and finished at about 2am. I slept in this morning.

What did you guys think of it?

I thought it was great! The costumes were so beautiful and colourful, and the song that Sarah Brightman sang with the Chinese man was lovely.
China has such a rich and colourful traditional culture that it's such a shame to see how the politics of the cultural revolution changed all that. It was good to see such a strong focus on historical China during the ceremony and the transition from past to present.
Those beautiful, colourful fabrics! Exquisite!
I love watching all the Olympics Opening Ceremonies, and watching all the athletes from all over the world entering the stadium. What a proud moment for all of them.
There is no place for politics, religious differences, racism and strife in the Olympic Games. Unfortunately, it's not an ideal world and it does happen.

I hope there are only minor occurrences of strife, and nothing major happens this year.

On with the Games!

#ni-1

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped watching the olympics a LONG time ago. Too much political BS in it for me. It was in the judging/scoring and everyother aspect. The spirit of the olympics was currupted. Not to mention the obvious product placement in everything.

Feh!

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

The Spirit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
I stopped watching the olympics a LONG time ago. Too much political BS in it for me. It was in the judging/scoring and everyother aspect. The spirit of the olympics was currupted. Not to mention the obvious product placement in everything.

Feh!

Corrupted spirit? Not me! Smile

I used to think so too, but it's all in the watchers eye. You can see political BS in everything if you want, or you can just watch the competition. I have learned to do the later...

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spirit wrote:
mohrorless wrote:

Feh!

Corrupted spirit? Not me! Smile

I used to think so too, but it's all in the watchers eye. You can see political BS in everything if you want, or you can just watch the competition. I have learned to do the later...

I used to watch the competition, but grew tired of seeing too much of judges scoring their country's athletes main competition poorly, to the point of being turned off by the whole thing.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch the whole ceremony but I did see the lighting of the cauldron. That was... umm... "elaborate" to say the least!
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't stay up for the lighting. I was flipping between the Met game and the opening ceremony. Some of the ceremony was impressive. The closer it got to the end of the Met game, the more of that I watched... Smile

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't care at all...............Sorry Neutral
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wish that American television would actually show the competition and all (well ... more of) the competitors, rather than focusing just on the American athletes (and just the medal contenders at that). There is only just so much Bob Costas I can take. Confused
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:
I honestly wish that American television would actually show the competition and all (well ... more of) the competitors, rather than focusing just on the American athletes (and just the medal contenders at that). There is only just so much Bob Costas I can take. Confused

That's another reason I won't watch! Bob Costas! FEH!!! I can't stand him. He is so self serving and sanctimonious. The sound of his voice makes my ear hair curl.

If he is working a sporting contest I want to watch, I will mute the tv or not watch at all.

But worse than Costas is Tim McCarver. Double Feh on him! I can't tel lyou howmany times I was forced to listen to his BS while he was working for the Mets as their commentator. He acted like he was the all knowing God of baseball and that he knew what was goin on in every player's head at that moment. BS!!! He was a catcher. Anyone could have caught Bob Gibson. I was watching a game he was working once and he went on a full inning speach about jock straps. HELLO!!!! There is a game going on! Talk about that.

Sorry about that. I got a little carried away. Where were we? Ah yes, Bob Costas....I can't stand him.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
That's another reason I won't watch! Bob Costas! FEH!!! I can't stand him. He is so self serving and sanctimonious. The sound of his voice makes my ear hair curl.
[RANT TRUNCATED]
Sorry about that. I got a little carried away. Where were we? Ah yes, Bob Costas....I can't stand him.

#Mad Wait two years and ask me about Dick Button #Mad

It occurred to me somewhat after I posted with internet access we can actually see many more events than were every available on TV before. Apparently NBC has 15 different feeds, but I wouldn't know because my work blocks them anyway (but not YouTube. Go figure that one.).

bbb bbb
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Mad Wait two years and ask me about Dick Button #Mad

It occurred to me somewhat after I posted with internet access we can actually see many more events than were every available on TV before. Apparently NBC has 15 different feeds, but I wouldn't know because my work blocks them anyway (but not YouTube. Go figure that one.).

bbb bbb

How much figure skating to you watch? Confused The thought of the Hampster in a figure skating outfit (female of course) is rather disturbing will disrupt my sleep for a couple of nights. Confused

As for work, only a select few can stream anything at work (I am not one of them). They also sometimes block us sending blocks of code to each other, but will allow all the pen!$ enlarging ads right through....

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir BaldyHead
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good things of having satellite tv is the availability of a number of streams as an addition to the normal programming, some (sometimes) even without commentary. Better than turning of the sound!

Btw it seems every country has its own nuisance of nauseating reporters. Their common obesession is they have the compulsion to hear themselves talk.

Ni! Ni! Ni!
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...There is only just so much Bob Costas I can take. Confused

It helps to bite down on the pillow
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
I didn't watch the whole ceremony but I did see the lighting of the cauldron. That was... umm... "elaborate" to say the least!

The whole thing was pretty elaborate. Very entertaining.

John wrote:

I thought almost everything was political and corrupted these days. I don't sit and watch it religiously, but I do really enjoy the events that I see. Like the weightlifting that was on last night. The 62kg Chinese guy won the gold in that for lifting an incredible weight (can't remember it at the moment). I will not admit that I was making...um...silly noises when the men were lifting the weights. I will also not admit to making comments about various strain injuries. That would have been very immature for a person of my age. Embarassed

I saw Michael Phelps streaking through his races like a flamin' rocket. He's quite amazing. And I saw Libby, Leisel and Stephanie win their medals.
#ni-1
The little Korean guy is great too.
The amount of training that these athletes put into trying to get through to the Olympics is incredible, and I'm especially impressed by those from the smaller countries that have to work twice as hard and only get a small amount of funding.

Sir Hamster wrote:
I honestly wish that American television would actually show the competition and all (well ... more of) the competitors, rather than focusing just on the American athletes (and just the medal contenders at that). There is only just so much Bob Costas I can take.

That seems to be the norm here too. Channel 7 seems to be focusing on the events with Aussies in them. They even dropped the Olympics on Saturday to show a stupid football match. Totally ridiculous, when we have an excess of football matches shown on tv as it is.
At least the other channel, SBS, seems to be less biased towards the more well-known Aussie athletes and is showing a wider variety of events.

Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olyimpics ? Shocked Was'at then ??

Regds Grizz

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
I will not admit that I was making...um...silly noises when the men were lifting the weights.Embarassed

You don't have to. We already know you were drooling at them. Very Happy

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
You don't have to. We already know you were drooling at them. Very Happy

Yes, completely unlike what the guys were doing while watching beach volleyball. Rolling Eyes :drooly-face-icon: :seriously, we need one of those:

[***fixed***]

Last edited by Sir Hamster of Elderberry on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to CNN, some of the fireworks ar the Opening Ceremony were computer generated:

Read it here

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that a couple of days ago. They said on the news here that it was because they weren't allowed to fly over the area, or something like that. It's a shame. It looked quite real, and spectacular.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: