KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The first computer I ever touched....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: The first computer I ever touched.... Reply with quote

The Commodore Pet...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/10/tob_commodore_pet_2001/

what was your "first time"?.

ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The first computer I ever touched.... Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
The Commodore Pet...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/10/tob_commodore_pet_2001/
what was your "first time"?.

Nightmares: I took a job with ISA Software in 1983 or 4 to develop a Visi-Calc clone for the Commodore Pet (think Excel, but earlier). The deal was that it was an impossible task, but if I could accomplish it, I would end up with 25% of the stock in the company. Needless to say, it didn't happen, and I ended up back at Texas Instruments.

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't toally remember my first one. It was pre-Pentium, a 486 I believe. I had a 9600 modem, and I thought that was fast. I was the first person in my school to have a computer and I helped with the computer class when the school finally got a computer lab. I had a early Win 3.x.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First computer I used PDP-11/23 on the DEC LA36 Terminal.

First computer I owned Heathkit H-89 (was upgraded to the H-90).

First modem Hayes Smartmodem 300, which I still own.

I also own a Texas Instrument Silent 700.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember what the first computer I used was (it was in school, 8th grade (1982-1983)). It had a tape drive and it was for an hour a week. We learned some BASIC. Not much more than that.

The first computer I owned was .....

A Commodore 64

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first ine I ever owned...

Sinclair ZX81, I got it for christmas in 1981 with the standard 1k RAM!, had to wait till easter to get the 16k RAM expansion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_ZX81

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a Intel 386 with a 340 meg hard drive and 2 meg of ram and Windoze 3.1. I used it to play Doom & Doom 2. I would have to delete the games and reinstall them to play because of space issues. That was the first machine I ever overclocked. I used the jumpers and trial & error.

Btw: I loved 3.1, but now I don't remember how to use dos commands. I smoked the OS one time trying to get more space and it took me 2 weeks to fix it. #ni-1
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1965, I started working with these -

The first 'real' computer I worked on in 1967 was an ICL 1903 similar to this ICL 1906A.
That could even be me in the backgound at the tapes 'cos thats pretty much how I looked back then, but, I don't remember the nice set of legs on the girl at the console, DAMN !!

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
In 1965, I started working with these...

Shocked Wow! THat was BEFORE I was born!

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
The first 'real' computer I worked on in 1967 was an ICL 1903 similar to this ICL 1906A.
That could even be me in the backgound at the tapes 'cos thats pretty much how I looked back then, but, I don't remember the nice set of legs on the girl at the console, DAMN !!

I'm thinking that if you were working on one of those, you were too much of a nerd to get to see those legs.....

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some where about that time I went on a tour of IBM or Control Data or something like that and they let us use a punch card machine. I remember thinking "you type here, and it punches holes in a card that can be read by another machine.......Big Deal. Confused
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left school at 16 (mid-60's) and went to work at the National Gas Turbine Establishment, working on hypersonic ramjet research. The first computer I used was an Elliott 803, which I learned to program in Elliott Autocode (very Basic-like but very simple - you even had to write your own maths functions, Square Root, Log, etc.) and later Algol-60.

Then I moved on to an IBM 7094 (which used an ICL1902 to convert punched cards to tape and vice-versa), programmming in Fortran.

As an aside, I also helped with development work for the engines eventually used to power the Concorde, with the data collection being handled by an Elliot 405, an old valve computer programmed with patch cords! (Yes, I'm afraid I do go back that far.)

The first computer I owned was a South-West Tech 6800 (I know Ohiomike remembers these!)

Then a SuperBrain (8080 processor, DR-DOS, 2 x 5¼", 120k floppies)

followed by an ACT Sirius (an IBM PC "me-too" machine, running MS-DOS2 & dBaseII, with 128k RAM and a 10MB!!! hard disk), and the farm has been growing ever since.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo Err !! Not gonna say !

Well allright then , first computer used , it was an Olivetti (hell forgetoed the model number now Embarassed ) , that me Dad got for his business in 1965 , hard wired it was and great fun to watch the various engineers who kept coming to fix it !!! (Semi analog , glorified typewriter to do the invoicing using punched cards and paper tape !! Shocked - no vdu , just a printer and LOTS of wires )

First computer owned (1978 or 9 - married now you see , her indoors did not approve of these new fangled boys toys - until the kids nagged her as well Rolling Eyes ) , a Sharp MZ 80K , with 36 K ram (HUGE ! - later upgraded to 48 K with the aid of a soldering iron )
The list is almost endless - Amstrad 1540 anyone ?

Gonna stop now , tears welling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regds Grizz .

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KWSN Im Not Dead
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first computer I owned was a TI-99/4A. That is the machine that caused me to love programming. I went on from that to Vic 20. At the time, this is a pretty good graphical programming machine (only when compared to other home machines).

Then in 1986(ish) I got my first "real" PC. It was a 8088, ran at 4MHz, 6MHz or 8MHz (cant remember) in TURBO mode, had 512k of ram in 16k Ram Banks on the MoBo, had MS-Dos 2.1 hardcoded into a chip on the motherboard, came with 2x 5 1/4" floopy drives (both were 360k format, no 1.2MB for me), a 1200 baud modem, 20 MB hard drive (which you had to PARK when you were done), and a CGA monitor using a CGA graphics card. This machine was great because when booting it would count through the RAM in "clicks" as it checked each 16k chip.

Those were the days.

**update**
Upgraded that machine in 1989 to a 286, running at 20MHz, had 1 MB of ram (one really large chip that fit into a socket on the motherboard), MS-DOS 4.1 (i think), 1x 5 1/4" 1.2MB Floppy Drive and 1x 3 1/2" 1.44MB Floppy Drive, 2400 Buad modem, 2x 20MB Harddrive, VGA Graphics card with a VGA Monitor, MATH CO-PROCESSOR, and an Ad-Lib sound card.

KWSNImNotDead - "I don't want to go on the cart!". It is spelled LooNies.
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First computer I ever programmed was a KDF9 at Salford University in 1972. Shocked

First complete compuer I owned was a BBC Model B in 1981 Cool

Currently don't own any... Rolling Eyes

#ni-1
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

College- Microprocessors 101 (project was to write a traffic light controller that would "learn" about traffic patterns):

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First computer i've ever started fiddling around with was a Tandy TRS-80. The keyboard was connected to the monitor. That was followed by a 286 DX and 386 XT. In elementry school we played with Apple IIe's. First computer that I bought was a lil P3 633 back round when I first joined the Knights shrubbing classic Seti shrubs. I then built my first system, a Althon 64 3200+ with 512 Megs of Ram and 80 Gb HD. My current system is an Althon 64 X2 4200+ with 3Gb of ram and 250meg Hd.
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The first computer I ever touched.... Reply with quote

A "nova" -- I think it was actually a DEC PDP-8. Fortran with those fill-in-the-blank sheets, assembler and what we called "SLOBAL", a COBAL interpreter. Punched card decks... and I dropped our class project one time and scattered a bit over 3000 unnumbered cards with assembly language punched into them all over the floor. Classmates were not amused. Lusted mightily after Ohio Scientific's offerings (4kx8 RAM module was $4000!) but settled on a Sinclair which was really nice because you could turn off the display and the thing ran lickety split wicked fast.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The first computer I ever touched.... Reply with quote

KWSN_hgs wrote:
but settled on a Sinclair which was really nice because you could turn off the display and the thing ran lickety split wicked fast.

that was thw ZX80... we had one of those at school along with the PET... we liked the ZX80 as the "monitor" was a TV!,, so we could watch the Cricket whilst playing space invaders on the PET at "computer club".

#ni-1

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another ZX80 followed by a ZX81 with the 16k RAM expansion pack then a 48k spectrum with a microdrive and the silver toilet paper printer.

Mock me as I was living in Spain amd buying a LED was a big issue
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiomike wrote:
College- Microprocessors 101 (project was to write a traffic light controller that would "learn" about traffic patterns):

HEY!!! That looks just like My KIM-1 I had in Highschool!!!

I programmed it to play music. Of course, I had to compile the program by hand...and enter it with the keypad.

Either scripted "MAry had a little lamb", in harmony, or using the keypad controller; I had the notes arranged on the keypad like bass guitar frets.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: