KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer motherboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyenroo
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: computer motherboard Reply with quote

Do I have to re-install WindowsXP everytime I move my hard disk drive to a different computer or motherboard? My motherboard (ASRock P4i45GV) packed up & had to put my hard disk drive onto a friend's FOXCONN 648 Motherboard but had to re-install WinXP in order for it to run. Now, I have just purchased my own FOXCONN P4M800P7MB Motherboard but XP on my Hard Drive doesn't run! I had to re-install it for the 3rd time, hence 3 Windows XP option lines displayed upon getting into windows soon after starting my computer. Is there any easy way of sorting out this problem or do I have to re-install windows every time I change motherboards? Finally, how do I get rid of old "Windows XP" lines which pops up upon entering windows.

Last edited by keyenroo on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the motherboard thing, but I suspect you get rid of the "lines" by formatting the drive before installing the OS, instead of installing the new version on top of the old one.

I've changed motherboard a few times without having to reinstall the OS, but that was with Ubuntu. Perhaps WinXP is more sensitive?
Or perhaps I was just changing between compatible motherboards...
Sir Nigel
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Multiple copies of XP showing at boot-up Reply with quote

This can happen if you don't delete the disk partition XP is using between installs. The Setup program finds the old copies and makes a [hash of it, ed.]

To get rid of the extras ...

Open My Computer
Click on View System Information
Click on Advanced
Click on "Settings" in "Startup and Recovery" (just above Error Reporting).

In the system startup box click the down arrow below "Default Operating System" and you will notice that you have three for XP.

Click on "edit" and your startup should look very much like this: (you will have 3 lines at the bottom showing Windows XP)

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

You should delete the second and third versions of:
Code:
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
so that only the top one remains (assuming you boot with the top option in the startup menu).

Close all programs and re-boot and you should only have the top choice left.

Hope my vague memories of XP are of some help Smile
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Sir Nigel said will get rid of the extra old installs.

Same thing can happen to windows vista and 7. But they can adapt to new hardware much better. I had my windows 7 on a older 939. I just turned it off and swapped boards to an am3, it found everything in two reboots and was still working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: