KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Einstein / Boinc / Page Swap size help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN Im Not Dead
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Einstein / Boinc / Page Swap size help Reply with quote

On my new Quad I have been having problems with Einstein (Rosetta is fine). The machine spends the full amount of time to work on the Einstein job (8-9 hours) but then it shows an error status and gives me no credit.

I checked the Einstein forums and am going to try a couple of suggestions they have on how to fix this problem:
1) Uninstall Boinc and move it to a folder that is not under \Program Files.
2) Update Boinc to the most current version.
3) Run a stress test on my machine to make sure I dont have a faulty harddrive.
4) Disable automatic updated by Windows (ill let it download, but ill choose the install/reboot time).

However my boinc question is:
When running both of these project on a Quad 2.4 with 2 gig of ram, how large should my page file size be set to? Currently I have it set to 3086 - 3086, but I am thinking that maybe I need to up it? I really dont know how much/often these projects write to the disk, so I am not sure if that is sufficent, too big, or not big enough??? I dont know if having four jobs running at once is too much HD activity for that size of a page swap?

Also because Einstein does take so much time to complete, is there another project that, like Rosetta, has short WU's (1-3 hours or so)...that way if I do loose the work I dont loose 8-10 hours worth. I thought about trying TSP or Yoyo or MilkyWay, but all of those are either in Beta or Alpha states...not sure I trust one in those states....maybe im worried about nothing?

KWSNImNotDead - "I don't want to go on the cart!". It is spelled LooNies.
KWSN-HoC
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well swap space or windows page file size is almost a science itself ...it depends on your physical memory space (2GB inyour case) and on the memory needs of the applications running.

I use under XP at default around 1.5 times of installed physical memory (on my XP box with 2GB RAM I use to have a paging file from 3 to 3 GB) and I'll change it in steps of 1GB if the taskmanager says "hey no more free ressources" in XP. Under Vista there is another mechanism working which allocate lots of physical RAM and tries to expect dynamically which app will use this allocated memory next (that is called SuperFetch).

So under Vista my default is to let Vista decide how big the paging file should be.

Looking at QuadCores I prefer to use 1 GB per core ......

I'm doing Milkyway, Lattice, Spinhenge, TSP, POEM, LHC and never got any major trouble with projects in beta state, sometimes a WU crashes or there is no work but no serious issue until now .....

Cheers

HoC

Mastrumistulo de Kameloto

(also a Member of the Migratory Coconuts)

'My name is Homer from Borg. Resistance is fu ..... Oh doughnuts!'

ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick that helps speed up Windoze- If you have 2 drives, use a small (64K) fixed swap on the drive that Windows is on and a larger fixed "real" swap on the other drive (I generally "ignore the rule of thumb" and just use 1 GB/core).

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about swap size ( I have 2gb ram and 2.5 gb swap file) but I quit running Einstein as about 50% were errors. I run Cosmo, Tsp and Milkyway. Milky errors occasionally but they are very small units <10 min.

Btw: the team is currently challenging Seti Usa in TSP, and the help would be appreciated. ( we are getting our asses handed to us ) #ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: