KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice storms!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Ice storms! Reply with quote

Any other Kansas/Oklahoma loonies around here? If so I suppose you may still be offline so I guess I'll just be talking to the 4 walls but that isn't really any different than usual... Embarassed

Anyway... For those of you who don't know, there was a HUGE ice storm that came through the central US on Monday night. The air right above the ground was just below freezing but the air higher up was warmer so when it started raining, it froze on contact with the ground... or any other object that was loonie enough to get caught in the open. Of course this caused immediate problems with the roads getting slick but trees also started losing branches and these fallilng branches had a nasty tendency to fall on power lines. Well you can probably imagine what happened after 10 hours of this. From what I can tell, I am in one of the hardest hit counties in the state of Kansas but I know Oklahoma got hit even worse and then got a 2nd storm 2 days later. I believe they were declared a federal disaster area. We only got "state of emergency" status from the state.

At the lowest point, 17,000 out of 27,000 homes in this county were without power. I lost power at about 6 AM on Tuesday morning and didn't get it back until about 36 hours later and I am one of the very lucky ones. over 12,000 homes are still without power now. It is getting down into the mid teens here at night (about -10C for you metric loonies) so a lack of heating quickly turns into a big problem.

Of course the University was closed on Tuesday even though it is finals week so I didn't have to go to work but I ended up going in anyway that afternoon to get my power/internet fix since the data center, my office and all the networking equipment is hooked up to a huge (and as I learned very LOUD) generator.

Anyway... I think I have made it through the worst of it. One of my coworkers is still without power so he and his significant other are crashing at my place for the 2nd night. Others have left town and gone to relatives in other cities. It may very well be up to 10 days before everyone has power again even though the utility company has brought in over 1,000 extra linemen from as far away as south carolina to help fix power lines. Once again, I am a lucky son-of-a-gun to already have power back!

Today it finally warmed up above freezing and we had clear, sunny skies so the ice started melting. Of course this was a bit of a mixed blessing because now whenever you step outside you either have to make a wide path around any trees or be prepared to be bombarded by falling ice. Shocked

I snapped some pictures with my new digicam I bought after Thanksgiving. I put them up on facebook: http://ksu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32815&l=82ffb&id=718660934 Enjoy!
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm glad to see you are alright! Those are some pictures. If it wasn't for the damage, the ice would be kind of prety on everything!

Good luck with the rest of everything!

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my coworker's power just came back on too so they went back home. Now its just me, my hardware and as much electricity as I want for the whole evening!
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Michigan so that is nothing new. It is Beautiful, especially when the sun shines on it, but Deadly. The thing you forgot ( or mabey don't know ) is, when the ice melts not only is the ice dropping dangerous but you will most likely have isolated flooding. Empty your basement if you have one.
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
I am from Michigan so that is nothing new. It is Beautiful, especially when the sun shines on it, but Deadly. The thing you forgot ( or mabey don't know ) is, when the ice melts not only is the ice dropping dangerous but you will most likely have isolated flooding. Empty your basement if you have one.

Ice storms are fun- when I live in Texas, I had a mail box at the end of a lane about 3/4 of a mile long. I would usually walk up to get the mail. After a freezing rain, I would put on my golf shoes and walk up- the neighbors, thinking it was just wet instead of ice after seeing me walk by normally would then come outside, slip, fall, and bust their butts.

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiomike wrote:
Sir Papa Smurph wrote:

Ice storms are fun- when I live in Texas, I had a mail box at the end of a lane about 3/4 of a mile long. I would usually walk up to get the mail. After a freezing rain, I would put on my golf shoes and walk up- the neighbors, thinking it was just wet instead of ice after seeing me walk by normally would then come outside, slip, fall, and bust their butts.

Evila and funny as can be....I LOVE it!

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I live on the west coast and not in the midwest, we do not get these kind of storms. We just send them to you.

Ni
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, you get Fires, Volcano's, Earthquakes, Tidal waves, etc.

Plus you get Paris Hilton's, Kid Rock's and Schwarzenschriver's....
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But volcano eruptions and tidal waves are rare, not like ice storms which seem to hit every year. Ours might hit once every 100 years.

Ni
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to get the fires or the mud slides every year though...

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on the east coast we get real weather; 0 degrees F in winter and 100 F in summer, vs 74F in winter and 80F in summer. And enough rainy days to make you appreciate the nice days when they happen.

And we get the added benefit of the exercise from picking up after all the nice trees; clusters of tiny green flower stalks, helicopopter seeds, acorns, dead branches and leaves leaves leaves.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbyram2 wrote:
At least on the east coast we get real weather; 0 degrees F in winter and 100 F in summer, vs 74F in winter and 80F in summer. And enough rainy days to make you appreciate the nice days when they happen.

And we get the added benefit of the exercise from picking up after all the nice trees; clusters of tiny green flower stalks, helicopopter seeds, acorns, dead branches and leaves leaves leaves.

Don't forget the excercise from shoveling all that snow....

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
jbyram2 wrote:

Don't forget the excercise from shoveling all that snow....

And the excuse to slip into the garage and sip on brandy while taking a break from shoveling!

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You woudn't want to waste all that ice from the storm now, would you?

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbyram2 wrote:
And enough rainy days to make you appreciate the nice days when they happen.

Rain? Did you say rain? Please send it to us. We are in the worst drought ever. We will take the snow, we will take the ice. Just let it fill up our lakes when it melts.

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People make fun of southerners when we hear that it might snow. We shutdown. Why? Because it does not snow in Georgia. It ices. And we have the transplanted Northerns who think that they can drive in it like they do up north. Hah! We do not have the infrastructure like they do up north. We southerners get our bread and milk and let all of the crazy notherners bang up their cars while we stay nice and safe in our homes.

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I drove to North Carolina, there was a lake I passed that the docks of the houses were 30 Feet ( no joke ) above the water line.

About 6 weeks ago I was in the Wasatch mountains outside of Salt Lake City and a lake there that I have seen many times had about 1 mile of beach to the water line.

We may be in very big trouble with water in this country.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray to the rain gods nightly and they will reward me with rain tomorrow since it is in the forecast.

Ni
Dutchubus
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady DC wrote:
People make fun of southerners when we hear that it might snow. We shutdown. Why? Because it does not snow in Georgia. It ices. And we have the transplanted Northerns who think that they can drive in it like they do up north. Hah! We do not have the infrastructure like they do up north. We southerners get our bread and milk and let all of the crazy notherners bang up their cars while we stay nice and safe in our homes.

In fairness, it really depends on where up north they are from. If they are from the souther part of New York state then yes, they probably cannot drive well in the snow since New York uses enough salt on their roads for the road to be dry within 2 hours. Razz If, however, they are from northern New York, Michigan, or Pennsylvania then they are probably more used to it since those areas do less to clear the roads and people are just expected to know how to drive on a road with tight snow pack.

Ultimately, however, as you point out the problem is a lack of infrastructure. As Georgia (etc) does not get snow (or other wintery precipitation) often, its just not worthwhile to have the large fleet of snowplows etc to clear the roads. The cost simply outweighs the occasional benefit. Razz

#ni-1
The general rule about people on IRC seems to be: Attractive, Single, Mentally Stable... choose two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: