KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up VMware..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Setting up VMware.. Reply with quote

Hello all.

Thought i'd post up this little guide to getting VMware Server up and folding on a Windows Host machine. Hope this is helpfull Smile

Where do i get this "VMware Server Software" ?

VMware can be downloaded for FREE from here :- Clicky Once you have downloaded the software, you will need to register to get the serial number.... Don't worry this is also FREE.

What do i need to run VMware ?

VMware will run on a host of hardware, but for Folding purposes I recommend the following as a minimum :-

Intel Quad Core Processor (Q6600 G0 Stepping Current Weapon of Choice)
Minimum 2Gb system memory
20Gb+ Free Hard Disk space
32Bit/64Bit Copy of Windows XP/Vista. XP64 offers slightly better performance.
A 64Bit Linux Distro. (I personally use Ubuntu, but so long as its 64Bit, the choice is yours)

Why do i need VMware ?

The main benefit from running VMware on a Quad Core system is to improve your Points Per Day Average. When you run the Linux SMP folding client on a Quad Core system, 99.9% of the time the client will recieve only 1440 point work units. If you run the same client on a Dual Core system, you will have a much higher (70%+) chance of picking up a 1760 point work unit. These work units will provide approx 1/3 increase in PPD.

The point of the VMware client is to con the SMP Folding client into thinking that it's installed on a Dual Core system as apposed to a Quad Core System.

So in effect if you have a Q6600 system running 2x VMware Servers, the SMP Folding clients will think there running on two separate Dual Core PC's. Basically 2 E6600's.

This is not a surefire way of always picking up 1760 pointers, but more often than not they will. With the odd splatterings of 1385 and 1167's.

Another benefit of VMware is that it will allow you to keep your existing Windows XP or Vista based machine and not go Native Linux.

Ok, i have VMware and the Serial No. Now What ?

1. Install the VMware software onto your PC and enter the Serial number.

When everything is Installed Correctly, launch VMware. If all is well you should see this screen :-

2. Select "Local Host" and click next.

Next you should see this :-

3. Click on the "New Virtual Machine"

--->

4. Select "Custom" and click Next

--->

Next you will need to select your chosen Linux Distro. For this guide we will be using Ubuntu 64bit.

5. Select the Linux check box and scroll down to "Ubuntu 64bit" in the drop down menu. Click Next.

--->

Next you will need to name your Virtual Machine. I name my machines SMP 1 and SMP 2. **If you are running this on an 8 Core Dual Quad Core Xeon machine, you can create 4 SMP Virtual Machines.**

6. Name your Machine and Click Next.

--->

7. If you wish your Virtual Machine to be Private (I usually do), just Click Next.

--->

8. I leave these settings at default. Click Next.

--->

Next you will need to select how many processors will be used in your Virtual Machine. Remember these are Processor Cores, not physical CPUs.

9. Select 2, and click Next.

--->

Next you will need to select how much memory is used for your Virtual Machine. I normally allocate 768Mb to each Virtual Machine when installing on a system with 2Gb of system RAM. If you have more memory installed in your system, you could allocate more here. Remember that the Host OS (Windows in this case) will still need enough memory to operate while both Virtual Machines are running.

10. Select 768Mb and click Next.

--->

For the simple solution here, leave it at the default "Bridged Networking"

11. Click Next.

--->

12. Select "Create new Virtual Disk Drive". Click Next.

--->

13. Select "SCSI" and Click Next.

--->

Next you will need to allocate space for the Virtual HDD. I usually leave this at the default 8Gb, but this can be trimmed down if you wish.

14. Select the default 8Gb and Click Next.

--->

Next you will need to give the Virtual HDD a name. I usually just add SMP1 on to the end of the default.

15. Add SMP1 to the end of the default drive name and Click Next.

Your Virtual HDD will now be created, this may take some time depending on size.

--->

If everything has gone well, you should have the following screen!

Congratulations! You have created 1 Virtual Machine. Now repeat steps 1-15 making alterations where it says "SMP 1" to "SMP 2".

16. Next you will need to install your chosen Linux Distro. Ubuntu 64bit can be downloaded from here :- Clicky When you have downloaded the LiveCD and burnt a copy to CDROM, insert the disk into your drive and Click Start this Virtual Machine. Installing will then be that same as that of any normal PC. This needs to be done for both Virtual Machines.

Hope this helps! Very Happy

Special Thanks to Babychunder for helping me sort this out for myself many months ago!

Please feel free to put me right on anything in this guide as im far from a expert!

Fold on Team 117! #ni-1

Cheers,

Rich.

Rich's Folding Farm.. Sponsored by ScottishPower lol

babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done m8
Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most comprehensive. Will be doing this a few times over the coming days. Laughing
PeteBee
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin_Wells wrote:
most comprehensive. Will be doing this a few times over the coming days. Laughing

And if your ppd goes any higher, I guess I'll be forced to do the same (24 times over) to stand any chance of ever keeping up! Cheers BG! #Mad

T'internet's been royally knackered all day today, came home to find everything completed and nothing happening. I think I'm finally folding on all cores again.
Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteBee wrote:
Justin_Wells wrote:

And if your ppd goes any higher, I guess I'll be forced to do the same (24 times over) to stand any chance of ever keeping up! Cheers BG! #Mad

T'internet's been royally knackered all day today, came home to find everything completed and nothing happening. I think I'm finally folding on all cores again.

I dumped the vmware smp stuff a couple of weeks ago. It was dragging my QX6700 to its knees. TBO the 6700 @3.5 never hit over 3.2kppd Confused Also it has 4Gb of RAM Confused Confused XP64 and UB7.04. So I have been mucking around with "m0dd3d" winsmp. Which now gives me 4.2kppd.

On my wendel box Q66000@2.7 and the "wrong WUs" I get 2.2kppd (native linux UB7.10 2 clients). Same box modded win smp XP32 I am getting 3.3kppd Confused

What Confused me even more the Q6600 B3 @ 2.7 Intel BadAxe board I have (UB7.10 native 2 clients) gives 3.8kppd and seems to MAINLY get 1760 pointers Confused

Also my dev wendel box (Box4) only seems to get 1760s giving 3.3kppd. Confused

It seems if you run a vanilla(SMD metaphor) linux Distro you get the 1440s but if you have installed stuff/screwed with the install you get the 1760s.

I know this comes over as the post of a looney (I am told I'm in the right place Laughing ) but this comes from empirical measurement and firsthand experience.

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really noticed an increase on the G0, had to settle for "just" 3.72Ghz in the end Cool But ppd for that box has shot upto 2500ppd per client under XP64 from 2100 on native Linux.

Also the 3Ghz B3 is upto 1900ppd (from 1600 odd) per client on VMware (assuming 1760s) on XP32.

On a side note, i reckon something strange has happened at home as not many points have been submitted today Sad Is it possible to setup some sort of remote desktop connection to my windows monitoring machine at home so i can view FahMon from up in Manchester ?

Cheers,

Rich.

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealVNC and UltraVNC are a good start. The problem I have, is I won't connect any "financials" to the net.

UltraVNC is the better bet, it has way more features (for free)
PeteBee
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin_Wells wrote:
What Confused me even more the Q6600 B3 @ 2.7 Intel BadAxe board I have (UB7.10 native 2 clients) gives 3.8kppd and seems to MAINLY get 1760 pointers Confused

Also my dev wendel box (Box4) only seems to get 1760s giving 3.3kppd. Confused

It seems if you run a vanilla(SMD metaphor) linux Distro you get the 1440s but if you have installed stuff/screwed with the install you get the 1760s.

My wendels (Q6600 @ 2.9) deliver pretty much 3.2kppd regardless on an exclusive diet of 1440s running opensuse 10.2 - I'd have thought you should be much closer to 4kppd running 1760s?

My best is a Q6600 G0 @ 356x9 on an Asus P5B running ubuntu 7.10 and 1440s again for 3.8kppd and that one will o/c higher yet. Ratio up to BG's 3.72 GHz Shocked and that's 4.4kppd, so things might improve 15% with VMWare. Never has no pain, no gain been so true Laughing

I still think the ultimate would be a dual core machine pulling wu from Stanford that are then distributed in matching pairs where possible to a farm of quads, with the fastest receiving the 1760s and the wendels picking up the dross. All running native for maximum efficiency, I think I'd gain around 10k a day on a good run of 1760s! Perhaps over Christmas I'll have a go at setting something up.

Barron_Greenback wrote:
On a side note, i reckon something strange has happened at home as not many points have been submitted today Sad Is it possible to setup some sort of remote desktop connection to my windows monitoring machine at home so i can view FahMon from up in Manchester ?

I sometimes get problems at the telephone exchange - noisy switches and the like - try calling your home phone a few times and you'll end up on a different line and the internet will start working again (if that's what the cause of your problem is). I had 25k waiting to go back when I got home from work, it took ages to pipe all that back earlier this evening!
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Pete - I'd hate to see your leccy bill! Laughing Apparently i've had Scottish Power on the phone tonight (got the missus at home) wanting to know why my consumption is 67% higher than the other 5 Flats in my block.... Laughing

I reckon they think i've got something suspect in the loft! Laughing

Oh, do you like my EOC stats i got working tonight Cool (thanks to The Doc if he reads this!)

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GB 67% you aren't trying. When they accuse you of running a hydroponic pot farm, you know you are folding.

@PB my home connection is so bad I used to have to call BTs automated exchange and press buttons continually just to get a connection Crying or Very sad

Also power cuts are a big thing round here. 10+ last year. So to weather the predicted storms - I need 40kppd to get the 1mpm
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symantec's pcanywhere is pretty good for remote access to Windoze PCs. You need to open a couple of ports in your home firewall / modem and set route(s), but it gives you full control including remote reboot. If you enable the management port 8080 in your firewall / modem you can pretty much do everything remotely that you could at home.

For Unix command line access to my boxen (eg stop/start a stuck client) I just use ssh. If I want the KDE GUI, I will use Cygwin. Once again these need you to open up a port if you are coming in from the other side of your firewall / modem.
Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance on giving advice on my current vmware problem?

On my x5310s (with VT enabled) supermicro mobo vmware keeps telling me I need to enable VT from the BIOS.

Any ideas?
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin_Wells wrote:
any chance on giving advice on my current vmware problem?

On my x5310s (with VT enabled) supermicro mobo vmware keeps telling me I need to enable VT from the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Yes that's to allow 64 bit mode on your CPUs. It's called Vanderpool or Intel Virtualisation technology or something like that, just enable it on the Advanced BIOS tab. While you're in there best disable C1 enhanced mode too so that the mobo doesn't mess with your CPU clocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: