KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Memory...? Reply with quote

Because im a lazy arse, and can't be bothered to do some testing, i'll ask the question instead.

What is best to maximize ppd ? High bandwidth, or low latency ?

Would 1066mhz @ 4-4-4-12 perform better than say 1250mhz @ 5-5-5-15 ?

This is using a Quad on a P965 mobo with a 400mzh+ FSB.

Cheers,

Rich.

Rich's Folding Farm.. Sponsored by ScottishPower lol

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory...? Reply with quote

Barron_Greenback wrote:
Because im a lazy arse, and can't be bothered to do some testing, i'll ask the question instead.

Cheers,

Rich.

Your desire for new kit shames even me Laughing only a few hours and you are looking for a change

what clock are you getting?
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol no, i won't be buying anything new... for now anyways. Im just having a play with that memory, it's really good you know! It'll run at 1300mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings, or at 1066mhz with 4-4-4-12.

Believe me, thats shit hot Cool

Just wondering what diff (if any) would low latencies or high bandwidth make to ppd?

Also, been trying to get this G0 stable at 4Ghz tonight... it's nearly there, i reckon the psu is holding me back now, the vdroop is killing it. Temps are really low for 1.585v mid 60's while orthos stress testing.

Im going to have to stop messing soon and set these two work units off or they'll miss the deadlines! Laughing

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that my slow/high TDP cpus are in my decent mobos (680i, P5K, BDX2) and the g0s are stuck in the wendel crud(which I can't seem to get over 2.9)
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah them Abit turds won't clock very high at all Sad As you know i have two of them here with dead memory controllers, they only work in single channel mode #Mad

Other than that they work fine... But they cant even get my e2160 to 3Ghz, which only requires a slight bump up in vcore to 1.455v in a P5B. I reckon the problem with them is that you can't overvolt the northbridge which limits the overclock on low multi cpus Sad

**edit**

I picked up a P5K SE from scan for £60, cheaper than the Abit's, its not quite micro-ATX but much smaller than full ATX size. If they'll fit into your rack mount cases, maybe worth selling them on before they die. If you can get £50 for them on ebay, it wouldn't cost that much for a big chunk o ppd. I've not tried a G0 in the P5K SE, but my B3 does 3Ghz easy, so would have thought 3.2-3.4 for as G0 would be no probs.

Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barron_Greenback wrote:
Yeah them Abit turds won't clock very high at all Sad As you know i have two of them here with dead memory controllers, they only work in single channel mode #Mad

Other than that they work fine... But they cant even get my e2160 to 3Ghz, which only requires a slight bump up in vcore to 1.455v in a P5B. I reckon the problem with them is that you can't overvolt the northbridge which limits the overclock on low multi cpus Sad

I know I shouldn't but I am tempted to RMA the lot. A 10-15% oc sucks. the reason I bought g0s was to get the oc. I was looking for 3.5Ghz under air @55ish
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory...? Reply with quote

Barron_Greenback wrote:

Cheers,

Rich.

The answer is "it depends". But folding, with two WUs on a quad, FSB speed tends to be the bottleneck so I'd plump for faster FSB and try to keep the memory divider on 1:1 (for example 320 FSB and 320 quad pumped = 1240 Memory.

Choosing the setup is a lot easier when you have an upwards unlocked multi....
PeteBee
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin_Wells wrote:
... the g0s are stuck in the wendel crud(which I can't seem to get over 2.9)

Same limit here, they EUE eventually at 3 GHz regardless of which stepping of Q6600 is used. But there's a 'NB 1.2 voltage' and 'NB 1.8 voltage' adjustment in the BIOS that I'm going to explore, I picked up an Antec Spotcool today to help keep the NB cool. It's integrated with the graphics so I might try a cheapo graphics card I've got spare to see if turning that off in BIOS helps the cause too.

Also got a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 to try, it's only 50 notes and runs a 1333 FSB out of the box - so that should be 3 GHz without even trying.
Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me how it goes with gigabyte board, the wendel is history. I was hoping for such a higher oc Mad
PeteBee
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs fine with a g0 or QX6700 at 333x9 for more than an hour, going to try it overnight. Tried 356x9 and it folds for literally 10 secs before hanging. The BIOS is a little basic, I upped the Vcore a little and the hardware monitor just says Vcore 'OK' Rolling Eyes so no idea what the Vdroop is like, if any. Memory options are a little limited too, only two multipliers, unless setting 'performance enhance' from standard to turbo or extreme changes something.

So, better than a Wendel out of the box and tomorrow I might knock up the Vcore beyond 1.5V and have a play with the rest of the BIOS to see how fast I can get the g0 to run.

I think anything sub-optimal should be referred to as wendel from now on!
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that OCs pretty good. Turn that VCore up as high as you like, the regulation is not that great and you will see some droop under load.

Try the extra 0.3v on the FSB and you should go higher.
PeteBee
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta BC, will give that a try. It folded fine for 24 hrs at 3 GHz, so it's a bargain really!

Pretty sure that the Q6600 G0 is faster than a QX6700 in the board at the same 333x9, perhaps by 5% or so. It's certainly more efficient and cooler running.
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the G0 is a better OC-er than the QX; just a pity it doesn't have upwards unlocked multi too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: