KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimised App For Linux?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Windows optimized apps to be released within a few days Reply with quote

Said the chicken to the egg... "Wanna get laid?"

AWESOME news.

Though I did not even ask for any donations, some people sent me some anyway. This means that the licensing costs for the stuff necessary to make Windows optimized Seti@Home apps is now fully covered.

And what THAT means is:
KWSN saves the day Cool I'll be offering Linux as well as Windows optimized clients, and Alex Kan does the OS X ones. Maybe I'll get some FreeBSD ones compiled as well.

So no more Seti.USA only - let's show them some silly knight spirit and share!

Maybe now I'll be able to develop my silly walk ;D

#ni-1

Watch the announcements thread on the seti@home forums.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! That's great news.

If you'd like a mirror, or even primary hosting for your optimized apps, KWSN would be happy to provide it.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Congratulations Savant! That's great news.

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

jonnyv wrote:
Woohoo! That's great news.

If you'd like a mirror, or even primary hosting for your optimized apps, KWSN would be happy to provide it.

Thanks for offering Smile For now, hosting is not a problem. I'd be glad to take you up on being a mirror.

Right now, my focus is on getting the apps out as quickly as possible while still making sure they do valid science. Once I've got Windows builds available, I'll have a bit more time to spend to figure out everything else.

So it might still be a week or so before I have time for anything. I'll keep you posted.

#ni-1
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the good news about the new optimized apps at the SETI number board. Excellent!

Thank you for all of the time and effort that you put into making them for us Savant. Smile

#ni-1
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, speaking of optimized SETI apps, just imagine what we could end up seeing perhaps, if Akosf were to do one... I think someone asked about the SETI app over on the Einstein boards, and Akosf made some comments about what would be needed (along with telling people that compiler optimizations alone can only go so far) #ni-1
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows optimized apps to be released within a few days Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
SThis means that the licensing costs for the stuff necessary to make Windows optimized Seti@Home apps is now fully covered.

And what THAT means is:
KWSN saves the day Cool I'll be offering Linux as well as Windows optimized clients, and Alex Kan does the OS X ones. Maybe I'll get some FreeBSD ones compiled as well.

If you want some Windows test clients I have a few. there was an issue with how Crunch3rs last Seti (not enhanced) app worked on AMD x2's which caused the thing to run slower than the stcck app. http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5896

I have an AMD x2 4200 and a T2300 core duo available on XP and a P4D 805 running Windows server 2003,

Cheers
#ni-1 #ni-1

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows clients have been released to the public. Download them here:
http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/index.php?module=Downloads
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , I have two virtually identical machines......

I am running 1 with Crunch3r app and the other with the setiathome-5.15-kwsn-sse3-p4.exe optimised app, #ni-1

a superb piece of plugging for KWSN.....

Well Done Simon aka Savant aka KWSN-Chicken-of-Agnor !!!

A big
#ni-1 #ni-1

to you

Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Optimized S@H apps Reply with quote

Yeah, and the stderr of every result contains a link to www.kwsn.net as well #ni-1

Thanks people, we (all my other personalities and I) aim to please Wink

Still, I noticed that the biggest crunchers on our team are not using optimized apps - I have only 8 active hosts and am pulling as much RAC as someone with 20..

The S@H forums don't allow for personal messages, I'll try and see if I can find out their usernames here and send them a notice...a little spam never hurt...much Cool

There is still a small issue that is not strictly related to Crunch3rs apps, but to ICC/IPP which were used to make them (and mine as well). It's quicker than the default in 99% of cases, but there are some where it's not. These are few and far between, and it's not a lot slower, only a few percent. All in all, it's a statistical fluke, not anything worth getting worked up about Smile

Son Goku wrote:
Ya know, speaking of optimized SETI apps, just imagine what we could end up seeing perhaps, if Akosf were to do one... I think someone asked about the SETI app over on the Einstein boards, and Akosf made some comments about what would be needed (along with telling people that compiler optimizations alone can only go so far) #ni-1

Yup, I'm in contact with someone who is doing something similar to what Akosf did - hand-optimizing assembly after compiling. No compiler is as good as an experienced assembly coder. Akosf really knows his stuff. The person I'm talking with optimized some source code and then optimized the resulting assembly code again for some nice gains. I'll get a look at how he did it tomorrow, probably.

Regards,
Simon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: