KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

motherboard recomendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: motherboard recomendations Reply with quote

Starting to think about replacing the main shrubber.. currently a asus A7N8X2 with a 1.4ghrz AMD Duron with 768 Mb of ram.

Looking to see what the other shrubbers who build there own systems are running and how long they have been running and if there are any problems. Was searching the other day and the AMD dual core's i've thought about going to reading many people having ram problems, motherboard problems especialy when it comes to the chipset overheating or bad fans.
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really have any recommendations, but I would probably wait a month to see what happens to processor prices when Intel releases their new Core 2 Duo architecture.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planning to stay away from intell unless someone can convince me otherwise.. hence the AMD dual core.. mentioned..
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew's comments are directed towards the anticipated pricing pressures brought to bear by Intel's product release. Mildew suggested that because he's a cheap bastard Razz .Wait a bit and save $$$ Cool .

#ni-2
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a 4800+ a couple of months ago. I just put BOINC on in the last month or so (was using it to test a few things first). I haven't had any stability problems with it, but I also haven't been checking the temps.

Here's what I put together. I did up the ram to 4GB as part of my testing.
NewEgg Wishlist
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only listing this because you asked what we've built recently.

Tyan s2982 dual opteron. It's doing very well, pretty fast too.

But I definately prefer AMD over intel. The price to performance ratio has always been in their favor and currently they have a definate edge in overall qualtiy. New chips are always a good thing no matter who releases them because it does trickle down quite nicely on the prices.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
planning to stay away from intell unless someone can convince me otherwise.. hence the AMD dual core.. mentioned..

What do you think will happen to AMD prices when Intel dumps the price on their old processors? Smile

Yes, Fartypants, I'm a cheap bahstad... Embarassed

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a serious look at the new AM2 AMD Chips...... of the three systems I've bought lately the amd x2 4200 is definately
a) the fastest
b) the quietest (apart from my laptop)
c) runs on the better spec'd chipset (NForce Ultra)

the others are a Core Duo 1.83 gig laptop and a P4d 805

the new AM2 4800 has double the L2 memory cache over the older 64/x2's. Here's a word of advice Never by the fastest proc in any range, the price premium is not worth it.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?AMD-X2M248

here's an intersting link or two from the AMD site

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD_Athlon_64_Benchmarks_May06.pdf

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html

jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

the new AM2 4800 has double the L2 memory cache over the older 64/x2's.

Actually, the non-AM2 4800+ also has 1MB per core. As far as I know the only difference between AM2 and previous versions is DDR2 and lower voltages in the AM2 versions.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ignoring processors.. as the thread said looking for MOTHERBOARD recomendations...

Price chips may fall but i'm also looking to buy the components over a month or two time frame. I never tend to buy the absolute greatest and latest processor, budget funds usually don't allow it. So i tend to look for a board that will support the latest and greatest and maybe after a year or so upgrade to the maximum supported by the board.

But I am interested in what type of motherboards people are running and how satisfied they are with it. Lots of Asus users are complaining the northbridge fans are junk die with no warning and fry the entire board. My past history with gigabyte and there crappy batch of capacitor's and that i had 3 motherboards go to blown capacitor's makes me leary of them.
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems with my MSI Neo FIS-R mobo so far. I've only built 1 computer, and it's still running upstairs. I've heard that the platinum version is alot better.
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Asus in all my computers, and I used to be very happy with them. Oldest one has been running four years 24/7 with no problems at all.
However, with the two latest, I've had some HD problems when using SATA discs. They seem to simply "disappear" from time to time. Don't know if this is Asus motherboard related, or just crappy design of the SATA connectors.

Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motherboard I try to buy when I can are either Asus or Gigabyte's boards. Another good brand are the Dfi's.

If you are looking to upgrade your current board and cpu I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128286
If you don't have the money or don't want to upgrade to a pci-16x board and want to stay with an AGP solt.

But If you do buy a board I'd HIGHLY recommondyou getting a PCI-16x board if you want any decend video card in you future. That being said this is the board I'd get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128268

I've built alot of machine's for all diffrent purposes (cheap, best proforming, middle, biz. ect.) And I love gigabyte's board the most. If yo want some other board I could recommond another. Any other info you might ( cpu, video card, ect.) I'd be happy to help #ni-1

X2 3800+ sonic tower + AS paste
2GB of Mushkin HP 2.3.2.6
4x 320 WD hdd Sata2 16mb raid 0
SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are working on a Budget cohiba I have found ASROCK to be very good for the budget end of the market. I have built two recently one AMD 64 3500 on the Dual sata, lovely build no problems whatsoever, and one Intel D805 on the 775Twin HDTV this one was a bit strange as to use the OB graphics you have to connect an expansion card with the HDTV outlet on it.
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O now that you mention ASROCK mobos they are pretty good if you want to have the option of upgrading to pci-16x but dont' have the cash to get a new video card. One of their mobo's has a agp and pci-16x solt on it.

I ordered one for my friend sometime ago and he loves it, Seem to work great + it also has an upgrade to the new AM2 processors. (altho it's not that great becasue you need an expantion card and right now I here they suck cas no dual cahnnel memory and the way it's made it's bad for cooling)

Here's the mobo.

and speaking of dualcahnnel memory you should try buying ram so that it matchs up with each other in pairs of two (AKA two 512mb sticks, or two 1gb sticks) that way you can dual channel them and get a proformance increase

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Grvmm wrote:
O now that you mention ASROCK- they suck cas no dual cahnnel memory and the way it's made it's bad for cooling)

Beg to differ Dual channel works perfectly with my Dual sata another neat trick with the Asrock 775TWINHDTV is that it can use DDR and DDR2 I have it with 2 Gb DDR2 667 and it is fine. As for the cooling issue a good case and plenty of fans seems to sort it even with the stock HSF. Cool
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

you I don't like.... YOu take people words and add your own and I HATE that

Where did I ever say asrock suck? I like them, two I never said dual channel'in memory was bad or wont work, maybe if got three sticks of ram they wont work. but as long as you have two sticks it'll do fine.

your crazy spike

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Grvmm wrote:
O now that you mention ASROCK mobos they are pretty good if you want to have the option of upgrading to pci-16x but dont' have the cash to get a new video card. One of their mobo's has a agp and pci-16x solt on it.

I ordered one for my friend sometime ago and he loves it, Seem to work great + it also has an upgrade to the new AM2 processors. (altho it's not that great becasue you need an expantion card and right now I here they suck cas no dual cahnnel memory and the way it's made it's bad for cooling)

Here's the mobo.

and speaking of dualcahnnel memory you should try buying ram so that it matchs up with each other in pairs of two (AKA two 512mb sticks, or two 1gb sticks) that way you can dual channel them and get a proformance increase
Teh Grvmm, I simply edited your comments from above I am not crazy possibly loonie. And please fell free to hate away plenty have done worse and I am still here.
A very not bothered but a little upset Spike
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children do i have to sperate you...

Don't make me pull over this thread..
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Cohiba the sillyness does not detract from the advice both the Asrock MOBO's are good solid VFM boards.

SPIKE

PS thanks for the children bit not many folk call a 6`2" bloke a child Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: