KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Einstein up the swanny......
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some news was mentioned from here

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=95215#95215

Given someone asked in the LHC thread, I can understand if some missed this... Perhaps one of the mods would like to (umm, I'm not even sure if this capability exists), move those Einstein related threads over to this thread (or another if it was started first), and then merge the Einstein downage related threads...

I know thread mergers should be possible with various forum software, however merging an LHC to an Einstein thread; well it would add to the general looniness around here. Perhaps that might be OK, though it would make things mighty confusing #ni-1

Last I heard, and it was mentioned on the BOINC stats front page, is that there was an A/C problem, which resulted in their systems being shut down. Another 24 hours of downage was expected; though air conditioning going in a server closet can be baaaaaaaaad Surprised

We had that happen in the networking lab (where I got my degree in computer networking), and needless to say about half the hard drives got fried, after the temps in that room almost immediately hit > 140 degrees F... Mind you server closets are rather small rooms, and the equipment in there (not only servers, but some rather high end routers and switches) can generate a tremendous amount of heat. Given the room can be typically locked (for security reasons, as one doesn't want just any average Joe walking in off the street and getting access to the server room), without A/C it can get blistering hot, in almost no time at all. Besides, on the average Joe bit, a Cisco 6000 series switch can run over $500,000 from the prices I last heard Surprised

This sorta thing can be quite bad, and I can imagine the Einstein staff are up to their knecs right now. That said, I do hope something comes about in the next couple of days, in part also because I have some WUs with a deadline for June 1 at 10:50 pm...
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Goku wrote:
Yeah, some news was mentioned from here

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=95215#95215

Given someone asked in the LHC thread, I can understand if some missed this... Perhaps one of the mods would like to (umm, I'm not even sure if this capability exists), move those Einstein related threads over to this thread (or another if it was started first), and then merge the Einstein downage related threads...

I know thread mergers should be possible with various forum software, however merging an LHC to an Einstein thread; well it would add to the general looniness around here. Perhaps that might be OK, though it would make things mighty confusing #ni-1

The capability exists, it's just not as easy to use as the other moderator functions. I've merged the Einstein posts from the thread you mentioned into this thread (split them into their own thread, then merged that into this one). If there are any others you think should be merged, just let a mod know.
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
l plus you'll help Sir Farts halfwitted attemp to catch the FadBeens in a years time. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

it was actyually imcrazy who declared that sir farts tauntnig attempt was half witted but I digress,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We're actually catching them now!!!!

shrub for rosetta!!!!!!!!!

Code:

Opportunities
Rank    Team    Score    Average    Daily Gain    Days to Overtake
23    mauisun.org    2,153,745    9,643    2,023    273.95
21    FaDbeens    2,265,005    10,366    1,299    512.03
13    Catalyst    3,292,970    573    11,092    152.66

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1

KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked
it was actyually imcrazy who declared that sir farts tauntnig attempt was half witted but I digress,

Rosetta's a good backup project as you can set the length of time easch shrub takes and so quite a lt of control just set the resource share to 1 and the time to say two hours and you'll only have 1 or two shrubs at any 1 time, plus you'll help Sir Farts halfwitted attemp to catch the FadBeens in a years time. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#ni-1

#ni-1 Are you trying to get him farting in my general direction?

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a portion of Einstein is served by this cluster:

http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/beowulf/medusa/index.html

At a cost of $593,323 USD, I can only hope that the cluster survived the AC failure!

I'm also increasingly of the notion that this outage could be a while. [/url]
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New announcement at their alternate website:

Quote:
Notice (5-31-06, 12:00 EST): Due to an air conditioning failure, the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee system hosting Einstein@Home is currently offline. Repairs are nearing completion and the system should be back up shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- James Riordon, American Physical Society

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
Shocked Shocked

Rosetta's a good backup project as you can set the length of time easch shrub takes and so quite a lt of control just set the resource share to 1 and the time to say two hours and you'll only have 1 or two shrubs at any 1 time, plus you'll help Sir Farts halfwitted attemp to catch the FadBeens in a years time. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#ni-1

#ni-1 Are you trying to get him farting in my general direction?

I'm sorry......
It was in fact a certain Mr Srub who uttered the words....

Mr. Snrub wrote:

I see that our proud tradition of taunting teams that are ahead of us and outproducing us continues. Bravo! Any team can taunt those that are about to be overtaken but it takes a special brand of halfwit to taunt those ahead of and pulling away from us. Excellent...

I also see that some FADbeens have temporarily removed their tin-foil hats thus allowing them to come under the control of our trusty LooneyMagnet™ which drew them here. Welcome megangiselle, necronomicon and hob! Ni! and Ni! again to you.

We taunt in your general direction, even if we are not quite sure why.
#ni-1 #ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einstein's back up, as one of my shrubs waiting to be returned changed from uploading to waiting to report... It should take awhile for the back log to clear, and for the servers to hit normal operational speed again however...
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm impressed that they're back up this soon. I think I'm going to go ahead and wait until tomorrow morning before allowing network activity, though. It seems like a courteous option when their servers are obviously getting slammed.

Plus, the BOINC Schedular is still down, so things could still be a bit whiggy in some respects.
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, checked the front page... They're indicating that they opted to leave the scheduler down, meh I'll just quote them on this...

Quote:
May 31, 2006
Einstein@Home is back up and running. Because of the backlog of work that has been completed by YOUR computers in the past few days, our systems may be somewhat slow at uploading this completed work and handing out new work. So please be patient if it takes a bit of time before your computers are busy crunching away! Note: experience shows that recovery from this type of 'hard' failure can take some time; there may be new problems that appear, which may require rapid shut-down and additional corrective action at our end. But we will try hard to avoid this if possible.

There could still be issues. But by seperating the upload from the issue of new work, I think this was also a decision to lighten the load on the server for recovery some... Also means the servers won't have to send out new work, while in the process of receiving the backlog.

I also checked some results I got sent back, which have a quorum of 3. Naturally and quite understandably the scheduler is also back logged, so could probably benefit from em extra resources the scheduler won't be using at first...
Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... they came back up while I was still at the office...

I've uploaded the results from my machines at home and I've got a pending total of over 7000...

I'm wondering what that total will look like later this evening or tomorrow morning before the system catches up!

#ni-2

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's down again.

|Scheduler request failed: couldn't connect to server
6/6/2006 8:04:51 PM|Einstein@Home|Deferring scheduler requests for 1 minutes and 53 seconds
6/6/2006 8:06:49 PM|Einstein@Home|Sending scheduler request to http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/cgi
6/6/2006 8:06:49 PM|Einstein@Home|Reason: To report completed tasks
6/6/2006 8:06:49 PM|Einstein@Home|Requesting 2022 seconds of new work, and reporting 1 completed tasks
6/6/2006 8:07:50 PM|Einstein@Home|Scheduler request succeeded
6/6/2006 8:07:50 PM|Einstein@Home|Message from server: Server can't open database
6/6/2006 8:07:50 PM|Einstein@Home|Project is down
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's down for a time.

Quote:
6/6/2006 6:16:08 PM|Einstein@Home|Sending scheduler request to http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/EinsteinAtHome_cgi/cgi
6/6/2006 6:16:08 PM|Einstein@Home|Reason: Requested by user
6/6/2006 6:16:08 PM|Einstein@Home|Requesting 82967 seconds of new work, and reporting 2 completed tasks
6/6/2006 6:16:30 PM||Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
6/6/2006 6:16:32 PM||Access to reference site succeeded - project servers may be temporarily down.
6/6/2006 6:16:33 PM|Einstein@Home|Scheduler request failed: couldn't connect to server
6/6/2006 6:16:33 PM|Einstein@Home|Deferring scheduler requests for 1 minutes and 0 seconds

That other thread with the project status applette also shows Einstein as down...
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einstein's back up now; accepted my results and sent another 32 WUs...
little john
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: