KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's all this then at SETI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: What's all this then at SETI? Reply with quote

Perhaps you have read all the flaming threads at SETI. Perhaps not.

In case you have not heard, the heat is up. mmciastro (AKA Tony) accused Crunch3r of cheating the credit system by having 2 hosts using the 5.11 SETI app instead of moving them to 5.12. He claims to have proved, but I am not convinced, intent to cheat on the order of less than 5%. Most told Tony to "put a sock in it" and recently he revived the original text of the thread that had been hidden over 2 weeks ago by SETI forum mods.

Crunch3r has taken his site with the apps offline, other people have stated they are on strike and will not crunch SETI until Crunch3r returns. Crunch3r is supposed to meet with SETI folks this week to try and straighten this out.

For my opinion; I sent Crunch3r an email about 2 weeks ago, before I left on a vacation. I told him I appreciated his work and to ignore what Tony says. I am usually suspicious of people like Tony who have post counts around 6,000 at any site. I mean: get a life!

So, what do my fellow Knights think of all of this?
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's all this then at SETI? Reply with quote

Javapersona wrote:
Perhaps you have read all the flaming threads at SETI. Perhaps not.

In case you have not heard, the heat is up. mmciastro (AKA Tony) accused Crunch3r of cheating the credit system by having 2 hosts using the 5.11 SETI app instead of moving them to 5.12. He claims to have proved, but I am not convinced, intent to cheat on the order of less than 5%. Most told Tony to "put a sock in it" and recently he revived the original text of the thread that had been hidden over 2 weeks ago by SETI forum mods.

This was after, umm some people said that thread was hidden per Tony's request, and that he then started another on account of it going down hill because his not saying what he meant or something. And now he revives it? Bleh, I don't know who this Tony is, and I don't want to know who he is on account of having virtually no respect for him for him after all of this Surprised

At this point I think he should shut up, and perhaps the mods should tell him that he's created enough rancor among the user community there, it's apperent he's trying to instigate something, which appears to have caused more harm then good to the project, and they simply will not allow this on their own site. Enough is enough...
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Son Goku.

I would only add that I had noticed an optimized 5.5 BOINC for Linux was on Crunch3r's site, which I wanted to install. I figured I would get as soon as I returned from my trip. Apparently I waited too long. *sigh*

If there is another location for it, or someone could email it to me (the P4/SSE2 version would cover all of my hosts) it would be greatly appreciated.
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the optomized CC, so can't help there... I do have the optimized 5.12 SETI enhanced client from crunch3r as well as the .xml file, so those could be sent, or perhaps put up (if the size is small enough to fit in some webspace here) until/if this ever does get sorted out, else the app is obsolete...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: