KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seti@home enhanced released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: seti@home enhanced released Reply with quote

Saw this in the DC news forum and on the seti site today:
Quote:
May 4, 2006
We've started distributing work for a new version of SETI@home called SETI@home Enhanced.

Thought this was worth some additional discussion as it will be a major change.

For most people it will be a seamless transition. BOINC will automatically download the new client when it gets a work unit that needs it. The thing you will notice is that most work units will take a LOT longer to process. It also sounds like there may be much more variation in how long a given work unit takes. Now you may see a variation of a few minutes between the CPU time required to finish any given work unit. Now you could see a difference of several hours from work unit to work unit depending on how fast the telescope was moving and how much noise there is in the data.

To those of you using an optimized seti cruncher: once they switch over and completely stop work unit production for the old application you will no longer get work! This probably won't happen for another week or two at least. You will need to shut BOINC down and go into the /projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder and delete the app_info.xml file and then restart BOINC. Of course if you do this while you still have work units in queue they will probably error out so you should probably wait for all the work to finish and be reported first. Or use the "No new work" button and force it to empty itself. I'm not sure if there are any optimized "enhanced" applications out there yet. From what I have seen it looks like the default cruncher will be much more optimized so there may not be a need for them.

Any other questions? comments?
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you wondering about credits...

Quote:
Will credits change with the new version?
The new version grants credits in a slightly different fashion than the old version. Credits are now based upon the actual number of floating point operations done rather than by multiplying the benchmark results by the time taken. That means that there will be a much smaller spread in the claimed credits than with the standard version. Some computers may get more credit per hour than before, some may get less.

Will my current credits go away?
No.

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just poking around a bit and saw that there ARE CPU specific apps for the new version in the works. But it looks like there may still be some bugs in them so I'm going to wait a while before installing them. If you really want to live on the bleeding edge you can check them out here
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that a lot of enhanced features were incorporated into the main application. There will be (or are) enhanced programs out but there won't be the three times gain you saw from previous programs.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Shrubbery wrote:
It's my understanding that a lot of enhanced features were incorporated into the main application. There will be (or are) enhanced programs out but there won't be the three times gain you saw from previous programs.

I believe you are correct. The main thing that isn't in the main one is CPU-specific optimizations like SSE2/3, etc. But as you say I don't think it will make as dramatic a difference. I see someone even has a 64 bit client for linux. I think I might play around with it in a week or two. Compare how fast things go with the default one, the 32 bit optimized and the 64 bit optimized.
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time on both my crunchers went from (three to four) hours up to (seven to eight) hours.

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+
Number of CPUs 1
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional Edition, Service Pack 2, (05.01.2600.00)
Memory 1023.53 MB (DDR 333)

AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Number of CPUs 1
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional Edition, Service Pack 2, (05.01.2600.00)
Memory 1023.48 MB (DDR 400)
#ni-1

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I noted over in the DC news forum, seti@home is no longer producing work for the non-enhanced client. Guess its time to run dry and then see about updating some of my boxes.
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
As I noted over in the DC news forum, seti@home is no longer producing work for the non-enhanced client. Guess its time to run dry and then see about updating some of my boxes.

It's going great guns on the boxes I've chosen to run seti upon.....

...Fang, he who remembers when it took over 24 hours of CPU power to scrub a unit.

Ni!
Fang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: