KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weird state

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: weird state Reply with quote

Probably the wrong grouping for this but thought i'd fill you in on what my crazy state is doing.

If you think Blue Cross Blue Shield or other medical insurance companies should decide what they will cover based on there Corporate Morals or Corporate Religious beliefs don't read on.

With the passage of House bill 4746 and 4745, this is one step closer to being reality. The bill would allow insurance companies to not cover a procedure or prescription, if it violates there companies Religious Beliefs or Ethical Morals.

It should be noted that Michigan law currently contains a number of mandated benefits, such as substance abuse treatment, diabetes treatment, some prescription drugs, antineoplastic therapy, and breast cancer screening, among others. The Bill would allow an HMO, insurer, or BCBSM to refuse to offer or provide benefits that are mandated under current law if the company disapproves of the particular benefit.

This bill would essentially make insurance providers an extension of the church, and harbor the additional danger of being discriminatory against distinct but perhaps unpopular minority groups. This would allow ‘corporate values’ posing as ‘moral values’ to deny coverage for any expensive medical procedure or treatment.

An example, as a devote catholic belief BCBSM could now say that we won't cover birth control pills, vasectomy, or tubal ligations.

A more extreme example, According to the Watch Tower Society, Jehovah's Witness believe that blood transfusions are wrong and immoral. - So an insurer could state we won't cover the cost of blood transfusions because it is against our Company's Religious Beliefs.
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, if I ran my own medical insurance company, I would say that ALL medical treatment is unnecessary (since I beleive that God can heal everything), and I wouldn't have to pay out anything, ever.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
BmfCb
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy,

How much do you charge for membership? Laughing
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbyram2 wrote:
ALL medical treatment is unnecessary (since I beleive that God can heal everything), and I wouldn't have to pay out anything, ever.

My (imaginary) new michigan company believes exactly that (I just decided) -- I wonder if the insurers will give me a better rate?
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporations can't have morals, they can't even think properly half the time. It's just a scam to avoid costs and nothing more.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it as a sort of a back door way to make abortions illegal or unobtainable, because insurance carriers will all say sorry its against our religion or morals and is killing a person.

If doctor's can't get insurance money there less likely to perform said procedure. Also may give insurance the leverage to tell a doctor its against our morals/religion to accept claims from doctors who perform said procedure.

Which is why if you live in Midland, Mi and you have Blue Cross Blue Shield guess what almost NO doctor will accept Blue Cross Blue shield and ALL doctor's do accept refuse to accept any new patients with Blue Cross. Man i'm glad i don't live there any more...

Plus the fact, lets be honest what kind of input do you get when it comes to the decision of what insurance your company is going to offer you. So you may be screwed and stuck with BCBS or some insurance that is cheap because it provides so little coverage because so many procedures are against there moral's or religion.

They have already outlawed smoking in public places where I live, now i can only smoke at home.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
They have already outlawed smoking in public places where I live, now i can only smoke at home.

Careful cohiba, since that Bush boogie has been running this country, he's managed to take most of our "things to do" away, he may just take that last one away.

You know what's sad, there's now a damn person who may run for President, Congress or the House worthy of anyone's vote. How's that for a suposedly Nation of very "smart" people?

I really think it's time we took back our country and burned them all at the stake. Sorry state of affairs we live in.

I smell a barbq. #Mad
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BmfCb wrote:
Jammy,

How much do you charge for membership? Laughing

Membership schmembership ... where do I buy stock!!! $$$$$ Confused

How ironic though, to implement unethical (immoral) policies on the basis of moral beliefs. Grrrr ...
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Careful cohiba, since that Bush boogie has been running this country, he's managed to take most of our "things to do" away, he may just take that last one away.

You know what's sad, there's now a damn person who may run for President, Congress or the House worthy of anyone's vote. How's that for a suposedly Nation of very "smart" people?

I really think it's time we took back our country and burned them all at the stake. Sorry state of affairs we live in.

I smell a barbq. #Mad

Well if he outlaws it i'm close enough to canada I could make trips there I suppose. Or i could just smoke the localy grown pinconning paralyzer..

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
Well if he outlaws it i'm close enough to canada I could make trips there I suppose.

Also, as Cohiba is well aware, here in Canada we have the "REAL" thing direct from Havana.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but they seem sooo hard to find the REAL ones in canada, to many fakes, and fewer people selling tabacco products in canada or at least the last time I was there, i mean how can you only have 2 smoke shops in all of Sault Ste Marie canada.. Well at least 2 that i could find..
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering. It has been many years since smoking was banned on US airplanes in order to protect (primarily) the cabin crew from second hand smoke. Has anyone seen any statistics as to how much healthier the cabin crews are these days?

It's not that I liked smokie airplanes, but this should be a data point about smoke in the workplace and how much a bidness could save on insurance by banning same and making non-smokers more healthy.
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
Yes but they seem sooo hard to find the REAL ones in canada, to many fakes, and fewer people selling tabacco products in canada or at least the last time I was there, i mean how can you only have 2 smoke shops in all of Sault Ste Marie canada.. Well at least 2 that i could find..

HOLY SMOKES, 44 GREAT NORTH ROAD, SAULT ST. MARIE, ON P6B-4Y5 705-253-6257
Hub Cigar Store, 372 Queen St E., Sault St Marie
Krazy Ernie's, 256 McNabb St., Sault St Marie
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN_hgs wrote:
I've been wondering. It has been many years since smoking was banned on US airplanes in order to protect (primarily) the cabin crew from second hand smoke. Has anyone seen any statistics as to how much healthier the cabin crews are these days?

Hmmm ... here's one about U.S. Postal workers: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/sgr/article.asp?articleid=1880

Of course, it's fairly hazardous to be a US Postal worker in the first place! Confused Wink

Here's some more relevant info: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

ni! i!u
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

See, there are more than two, there are three Razz

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Hub cigar is gone.. converted into sports card shop.

Holy smokes only had cigarrets even though they still had there sign in the window about cigars

The other one might have been krazy ernies, also only had cheap O's that i can buy in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: