KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC challenged asking question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: PC challenged asking question Reply with quote

Yikes! My Norton Antivirus is up for renewal. However, I am thinking that I need a little bit more protection. I cannot decide between Norton Internet Security 2006 and McAfee Internet Suite.

Can you provide this PC challenged some guidance please? Which one should I buy? It needs to protect but be simple to install and maintain.

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVG Anti-virus Has kept my systems free from unwarranted entry, plus it's free (for personal use).

I've also had cause to remove several multi-function security programs from people's systems because they just fubar the entire system.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.

Last edited by A Shrubbery on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just renew your Nortons? When I renewed mine I think it cost about 60.00 for a three year deal.

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PC challenged asking question Reply with quote

Lady DC wrote:
Yikes! My Norton Antivirus is up for renewal. However, I am thinking that I need a little bit more protection. I cannot decide between Norton Internet Security 2006 and McAfee Internet Suite.

These both suck.

Use AVG as mentioned above along with Zonealarm, and regular scanning with Spybot and Adaware Cool .

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
Why not just renew your Nortons? When I renewed mine I think it cost about 60.00 for a three year deal.

I was thinking that I may need extra protection with all the crap going on the internet. Just don't feel safe having my PC hooked up to the internet any more. I use to think that as long as I was a good girl and did not go to sites that were naughty I would be safe. But that does not seem to be the case. From what I read, they just need to somehow guess your ip address. I would hate to disconnect them from the internet but I just don't want to have problems later on down the line.

jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're connected directly to the internet, they'll likely just be attacking your router.
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Fart follower on this one. Apart from the stench, they seem like the best combination around, and they're free.

I tried Microsoft Defender Beta (instead of SpyBot and AdAware), but it took 6 hours to run a scan, and on a couple of occasions it clashed with AVG, locking everything up and killing a CPDN shrub, so I abandoned it and went back to the old tried and trusted.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kaspersky (which I but at WalMart), AVG Free, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, I've never had a problem using all these one right after the other. #ni-1
Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: PC challenged asking question Reply with quote

Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Lady DC wrote:

These both suck.

Use AVG as mentioned above along with Zonealarm, and regular scanning with Spybot and Adaware Cool .

The gasbag is correct. Those are the gizmos I use too. Also, SpywareBlaster is highly recommended. It does not scan but immunizes against known nasties by setting killbits. Remember that Spybot S&D also has an immunize feature! And be sure to look for updates on all apps!

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022-10196637.html
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with the old skinny fellow, the smelly fellow, and the fellow with the giant codpiece. AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, Ad Aware and Spyware Blaster.
If you go to download.com Security Center (aaargh should be centre) you can read the reviews they've got there, and download them if you wish to.
AVG updates every day, and it scans the computer every day. Mine is set to automatically update and scan at 8 am.
You can also visit Trend Micro, and Panda for free online scans for extra security.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly Not on Norton. I make lots of money supporting and fixing Norton 2006 problems. Best was when i had 2 AOHell users call me saying they could'nt login.. Apparently a update by Norton caused AOHell to be detected for the virus it was. But they didn't fix the problem for 2 weeks. Also with 2006 they have gone to the phone home install. Meaning if you install it on more than once system they know and after 3 installs will not install any further. Mcafee on the other hand does not phone home yet.. So you can buy 1 copy and install many Wink Not that i do that or recomend that..

My 2 recomendations are Panda antivirus or mcafee, just remember you get what you pay for. Will that AVG catch the latest and greatest worm? and how long before it does? Panda and Mcafee are usually within a day of it being discovered.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba, with MsAfee I got the worse virus when I was running that product, I took it off and bought Kerspersky and haven't had a problem again. AVG is only a day away also, I've spoken with their tech people and they seem very nice and geeky.
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: PC challenged asking question Reply with quote

Mr. Snrub wrote:
Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Lady DC wrote:

These both suck.

The gasbag is correct. Those are the gizmos I use too. Also, SpywareBlaster is highly recommended. It does not scan but immunizes against known nasties by setting killbits. Remember that Spybot S&D also has an immunize feature! And be sure to look for updates on all apps!

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022-10196637.html

Gasbag ?!

Moi Confused ?

Oh, I need to add one additional item to the mix which I have found to be very effective, it's "Microsoft Antispyware" http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx. However, if you Google it, it appears it's been re-named to "Defender Beta 2". And it appears Sir Al Dente has had problems with it. I still have the original Antispyware Beta 1 proggie and like it a lot, and Microshaft is still updating it Cool . I think I'll stick with it rather than "upgrade" to Defender Beta 2, but consider giving it a try Cool .

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus

Last edited by Fart in your gen direxion on Mon May 01, 2006 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:
Cohiba, with MsAfee I got the worse virus when I was running that product, I took it off and bought Kerspersky and haven't had a problem again. AVG is only a day away also, I've spoken with their tech people and they seem very nice and geeky.

Never gotten one yet with mcafee cleaned a lot of computer running norton though, and used mcafee to clean em.
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the shop here, we swear by (not at) Kaspersky.
Several months back, we had a deliberately infected drive put to the test.
Norton fixed several; McAfee found a few that Norton has missed; AVG found 1 that McAfee didn't find; NOD32 found 8 more; Kaspresky found an additional 57 viruses/Spyware/Worm/Trojans that the others had missed !!
Also, the yearly update fee for Kaspersky is much less than McAfee or Norton and you can configure Kaspersky to update as often as every 1 hour.

My $0.0215644 Canadian's worth.
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good recommendations here. I do Adaware and Spybot. And I do use the beta Microsoft Antipspyware (even though it does not catch anything on my machine. ) I have used the Free Online Scan of Panda Software.

Cohiba, what do you think of McAfee's firewall? (Or anyone else who has experience with it)

I have never heard of Kaspersky. Is it easy to use?

I do like free. Smile Is AVG and ZoneAlarm easy to install and use? Remember, I am PC challenged (give me Unix any day. Smile ).

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have a router and need a Firewall then ZoneAlarm is OK.

As far as Anti-Virus goes, "you get what you pay for" and seeing as how AVG is Free then you know where I am going with that comment.

Think of it as just another insurance policy, and at $30 - $40 per year, a reasonably inexpensive insurance policy.

What is the cost to you of losing your data and having to recreate it??
Or, trying to back everything up, reformat, reload, reconfigure, restore (and re-join Alcoholics Anonymous) ???
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady DC wrote:
Remember, I am PC challenged (give me Unix any day. Smile ).

That's always an option right there.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady DC wrote:
A lot of good recommendations here. I do Adaware and Spybot. And I do use the beta Microsoft Antipspyware (even though it does not catch anything on my machine. ) I have used the Free Online Scan of Panda Software.

Cohiba, what do you think of McAfee's firewall? (Or anyone else who has experience with it)

I have never heard of Kaspersky. Is it easy to use?

I do like free. Smile Is AVG and ZoneAlarm easy to install and use? Remember, I am PC challenged (give me Unix any day. Smile ).

My experience is I don't like it, i'd rather hide my pc behind a router. Haven't found anything wrong with mcafee's firewall just can get a little annoying at times, and dificult to configure for games and such.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
At the shop here, we swear by (not at) Kaspersky.
Several months back, we had a deliberately infected drive put to the test.
Norton fixed several; McAfee found a few that Norton has missed; AVG found 1 that McAfee didn't find; NOD32 found 8 more; Kaspresky found an additional 57 viruses/Spyware/Worm/Trojans that the others had missed !!
Also, the yearly update fee for Kaspersky is much less than McAfee or Norton and you can configure Kaspersky to update as often as every 1 hour.

My $0.0215644 Canadian's worth.

Does Kaspersky offer a dos/command line based scanner? One of the main reasons I use mcafee is I can boot with a custom built bartpe disk and scan the infected computer. Helps in those nasties where its imbedded into explorer and nearly imposible to get rid of. Also on my boot disk is Ad-aware so I can scan with that right away to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: