KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No joy for any CPDN or BBC climate change crunchers. Bad WUs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: No joy for any CPDN or BBC climate change crunchers. Bad WUs Reply with quote

After some successful crunching, on restoring this after all the LHC work I horded #ni-1 was completed, I got the coupled ocean model crashing right upon load.

I tried restore, and umm, nothing good Surprised Upon asking at the CPDN board, it seems the models were bad, and a re-issue, with model resets were issues Shocked I'm still a bit confused on what just happened here. Anyhow

http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/forum_thread.php?id=4478

And the mod, replied with this thread from their other board... It looks like all our WUs might be fubar, unless the model was gotten recently... Will need to check this thread:

http://www.climateprediction.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=4697

Quote:
Error discovered in the BBC Climate Change Experiment

nfaull
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:14 pm

I regret to announce that we've recently discovered a major error in one of the files used by the climate model. The file in question specifies levels of man-made sulphate emissions but due to a problem with the file specification, models have been inputting greatly reduced levels throughout their runtime. The consequence of this is that aerosols responsible for "global dimming" (cooling) are not present in sufficient amounts and models have tended to warm up too quickly. The file specification error is also responsible for causing models to crash in 2013 which is how we originally came across the problem.

Unfortunately, all the data returned to us so far has been affected by this problem. While the data is scientifically very useful, and will certainly form the basis of future research (it allows us to investigate the full effect of greenhouse gas emissions without global dimming), it doesn't enable us to compare the models' performance against real world observations of the 20th century since such an important component is missing. In order to do the experiment we intended, we unfortunately have no choice but to start models again from the beginning.

So what now? We've spent the last few days fixing the error and we're in the process of generating and testing new model versions which should be ready in the next week or so. We very much hope you'll be prepared to keep running with us and, if so, all you need do is keep running your existing experiment and you will be automatically upgraded to a new model version next time you connect to our server via the automated system. We've removed all the old model versions so if you're waiting for a new workunit, they should be available within the week.

Apologies to all our participants on behalf of the CPDN team, it's a big disappointment to have to give you this news.
University of Oxford

The thread goes on for 3 pages...

Yup, next page:

Quote:
Thanks for hanging-in, Tavis.

It's automatic. the server sends a "killer trickle" (reverse trickle) that the program recognizes and aborts itself. The new workunit ID will show 'hadcm3ln' in the bbc project and 'hadcm3lbm' on CPDN site workunits.

If not running a new Model yet, you can force the issue by aborting to old workunit and then clicking 'Update' in the Projects tab.

If CPDN users don't reset the combined ocean models, a "killer trickle" will be sent to cause the program to self abort. This has to be what I saw then... Mise well update, and not spend crunch time on a WU that will get killed by the network then...
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I thought something was wrong with my computers. The aborts happened to coincide with some patches, updates, new software, etc, so it kind of freaked me out. Since I had older sulphur experiments that I suspended in order to do the BBC models, I'm just going to let the sulphur models run to completion and look into the coupled models later.

Bummer for the CPDN staff. That was a heck of a lot of processing to get invalid results. I know I had at least 4 million seconds in on several of my runs.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Wouldn't be so bad if it happened in some of the other projects, but those shrubs are so big... I guess it was a good thing that I am running a bit behind schedule on my WU. I'd hate to have to start one over. Sorry guys.

Twisted Evil Killer trickle... sounds so insidious! Twisted Evil
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last few days I have not been able to send the last of my "old Hadsm" workunit. One of three upload servers is off line and I cannot connect to finish it off.

One of three!

It is the last machine I have crunching for CPDN and I cannot get out this project soon enough. #Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: