KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SETI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: SETI Reply with quote

It's up and running.
#ni-2 #ni-1 #ni-2 #ni-1

Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm still not getting as fast as I can complete them, though. I'm kind of committed to my company for around 10,000 SETI credits per month, so I expect some of my KWSN credit will drop off over the next couple of days while BOINC makes up for lost time with SETI. No worries, though, I'll be back strong for KWSN just as soon as SETI RAC recovers.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap did Crunch3r's app help the XEON! It went from averaging 16000 sec/WU to 4000! The good news is that I should recover from the outage pretty quickly with that sucker doing 4 times the shrub's a day. Once my SETI RAC is back up to 350, I'll move to doing more stuff for KWSN.

In the meantime, I have a couple of slower machines attached to Predictor@Home (KWSN team, of course) that weren't before. Hopefully that will help at least a little.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz on the shrub tweaking. Cool
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I over-compensated on making up the downtime. That extra zero on the resource share, coupled with the optimized apps and bigger caches really sent that RAC sorring! It's back to KWSN BOINCing now everywhere that I have anything to say about it.

#ni-1
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
Holy Crap did Crunch3r's app help.......

What dat Confused ?
Randu
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Elwood wrote:
Holy Crap did Crunch3r's app help.......

What dat Confused ?

It's an optimized application for S@H. If you go here you can find both an optimized client and application. It took about 1-2 hours off my crunching times Shocked
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SETI@home member since 20 Nov 1999 Total credit 61,796.64 Recent average credit 284.67 SETI@home classic workunits 10,250 SETI@home classic CPU time 72,155 hours (Old CPUs for seti Classic AMD 450 K 6 3, AMD 1800)

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Pro Edition, SP 2, Memory 1023.48 MB Measured floating point speed 1969.23 million ops/sec. Measured integer speed 3191.25 million ops/sec

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+ Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition, S P2 Memory 1023.53 MB Measured floating point speed 1939.39 million ops/sec Measured integer speed 3263.56 million ops/sec
#ni-2 #ni-1

Black Beast of Aaauuugh
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1133 double precision MIPS per CPU -> 1665
1048 integer MIPS per CPU -> 1805
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run an optimized seti application on some of my computers but I refuse to use an optimized boinc client. If you are running multiple projects it skews the claimed credit on all the non-seti projects so that they are just plain wrong. There are a couple projects (Rosetta for example) that don't validate before giving you whatever credit you claimed. On those projects I would even go so far as to call using the optimized boinc client cheating. Granted, these projects make it very easy but that still doesn't make it right Smile
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no overclocking or enhancement, just out of the box.
#ni-2 #ni-2

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do OC, but run everything rather conservative from what I've tested and made sure things run stable, validates, and all... An optomized client however on a non-SETI box, yeah... I heard from Paul D. Buck (before he had left BOINC) that they were planning an answer to this whole optomized client vs. non-optomized client bit with multiple projects (aka SETI and others) which doesn't rely on the benchmark for figuring out credits. I'd have to search the bit again though...

I just don't do enough SETI crunching to warrant it... But an optomized client itself, I could see using...

Edit: Just tried the client mentioned in here, not bad. 44 minutes and 52 secs on my Athlon 64 3500+ Now to see when it validates...
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XEON 2.4GHz 533FSB 512kb cache HT--standard client: Average of 159 and change cobblestones/day. Average crunching time: 16,500-16,800 or so seconds/WU.

Post Crunch3r's optimization: 469.69 RAC and climbing. Processing time in the 4500-4700 seconds/WU range.

This machine only runs SETI. I definitely think it's an application worth checking into.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SETI@home member since 20 Nov 1999
Total credit 64,027.20
Recent average credit 339.72
SETI@home classic workunits 10,250
SETI@home classic CPU time 72,155 hours
#ni-2 #ni-2

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the SETI project has mentioned about a new app in beta testing now, which will increase crunch times... So, I guess stock up on these units while the optomized client is still good, against the backdrop of the time where it will have become obsolete...

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_plans.php

Quote:
Last updated: (9 Mar 2006 19:36:33 UTC)

We have been busy working on several long term projects which will improve the power and scientific output of SETI@home. Most of our time over the past year has been applied to the task of building and releasing the next generation of SETI@home software using BOINC volunteer computing infrastructure. With this effort winding down, we will apply more resources to the following projects.

SETI@home Enhanced

Because Moore's law has been continually increasing the computing power of our volunteers, we developed a new SETI@home application with increased sensitivity. The original SETI@Home stepped coarsely through doppler drift rates. Because of this, there was a possibility of a Gaussian shaped or pulsed signal drifting out of a frequency bin during the duration of the analysis. These signals would be recovered later when the analysis is performed at lower frequency resolution. However, because more noise is included in the analysis performed at lower resolution, it decreases our sensitivity to such signals by a factor of two. Before now there wasn't enough computing power available to perform the full analysis at high resolution.

This new application is currently in beta-test. The BOINC core client will automatically update SETI@home to the new enhanced version once it is made available. Since there is more computing involved, users will notice a greatly increased turnaround time per work unit. Since BOINC credits by computation and not by workunit, this will not change the rate at which you receive credit. We will also extend the return deadlines since clients will be crunching on workunits for longer periods of time.

Course I don't know where they're getting Moore's law in terms of CPU clocks at least. Moore's law has ceased being a "doubling every 18 months" about the time Intel hit a bit of a brick wall with cranking up clock rates. The problem in part is that to get them, there's heat issues, but the main means of getting around it (a die shrink) is becomming harder and harder. In fact, at a certain point, we're talking the size of a single silicon atom itself (once it's shrunk down so far), and one simply won't be going smaller without hitting either the sub-atomic (quantum), or a smaller atom (like carbon). Anyhow, there's a reason we've been sitting around 3-4 GHz with Intel procs for years now, and no 6 or 8 GHz processors have been released by them... It's also the reason both Intel and AMD are looking dual core, and why Intel is improving the efficency of Conroe (rather then ramping clocks similar to the clock war of old).

The laws of physics can be most un-yielding when one tries to go beyond certain limits in nature, and there comes a point the engineers are left asking the scientists for help in finding a way around the problems/limitations they're fast comming up against, as certain developments can slow. This isn't the forum (I s'pose) for mention of this, so a heads up on the client will suffice...
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved this e-mail from SETI a few days ago. I haven't run it in a while and it seems the're in need of funding and more shrubberies. I just thought I would post it here for all to see.

Quote:
Dear imcrazynow,

SETI@home needs your help. But before we tell you why - and how you can help - Dan and I would like to thank you for your role in the SETI@home success story.

We would first like to thank you for your participation in SETI@home. During the first SETI@home project you personally assisted us by searching for extraterrestrial signals in 5212 data chunks and providing 4.261 years of computing time. We want you to know we appreciate your efforts and the efforts of the other 5.4 million volunteers who have donated over 2.4 million years of processing time. When we started, people thought our projection of 100,000 users to be overly optimistic! You helped us prove that public participation in scientific computing could work. You also helped us to see that this type of community effort deserved to be more common. That's why we developed the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing or BOINC. BOINC has the benefit of allowing our volunteers the option of sharing their processing power with other worthy projects in addition to SETI@home. These projects range from looking for gravitational waves to searching for cures to diseases.

But all these successes are just a beginning. As you are aware, SETI@home has successfully transitioned to operating under BOINC. Because of this, new searches are on the horizon for SETI@home. We are releasing a new version of our processing software that increases the sensitivity of our search by a factor of two or more. We are building and installing a new data recorder at Arecibo. This data recorder operates in conjunction with a newly installed receiver that has the capability to observe seven places on the sky simultaneously. It also increases our sensitivity by another factor of five. These increases in sensitivity mean that SETI@home will have capability of detecting signals that are three times more distant than we could before. The region of space we can search will expand by a factor of thirty. That's thirty times the chance that your computer will detect that faint signal from another star.

This increase in capability isn't without cost. Following the "dot com" bust, the commercial support that kept SETI@home running has largely disappeared. Because of this loss of support, we can no longer count on matching funds from the University of California. We are rapidly approaching the end of what funds we do have. We we will need to raise about $750,000 to pay for these new capabilities and to keep SETI@home operating for the next year. Without this support SETI@home may be forced to shut down.

We hope that you will consider making a donation to SETI@home. You can make a secure donation by credit card by clicking this link. Instructions for donation by check or money order are there as well. Unless you specify otherwise, your donation will be noted by a star icon next to your username on the SETI@home pages and your username will appear on our list of donors. If you do not wish to have this recognition you may indicate that as well. Please be assured that regardless of whether or not you choose to have your donation be anonymous, SETI@home will not share your address with other organizations.

You can check on our fundraising progress by visiting our main site at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

Thank You,

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Author and Futurist and Dan Werthimer
Chief Scientist, SETI@home

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
P.S. Just downloaded the newest BOINC software and now crunching SETI for a bit.

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
XEON 2.4GHz 533FSB 512kb cache HT--standard client: Average of 159 and change cobblestones/day. Average crunching time: 16,500-16,800 or so seconds/WU.

Post Crunch3r's optimization: 469.69 RAC and climbing. Processing time in the 4500-4700 seconds/WU range.

This machine only runs SETI. I definitely think it's an application worth checking into.

Which file did you download? I assume I would need the same one.
P4 Prescott 3.0GHz HT 1MB cache

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the optomized app, just follow the link that was posted earlier in this thread, and look down on the page for your CPU or the closest match. In my case it was the Athlon 64 with SSE3 instructions (as my Venice core A64 did add support for sse3). In your's, it'll be whatever...

One note though, ignore that bit about renaming the file... Don't try that or all the WUs it downloads will error out... The xml file just tells it to use the 4.11 binary in place of the 4.18... You might want to delete the original non-optomized SETI client, or rename it to ...exe.bak so it won't run.

The linkie from above:

http://www.guntec.de/Crunch3r/
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just running AMD 2600+
Measured floating point speed 1877.99 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 3266.31 million ops/sec
3/24/06
CPU type AuthenticAMD up and running
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000 +
Measured floating point speed 1977.24 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed 3205.93 million ops/sec

SETI@home member since 20 Nov 1999
Total credit 65,114.85
Recent average credit 268.78
SETI@home classic workunits 10,250
SETI@home classic CPU time 72,155 hours
#Beer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: