KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPDN Seasonal Attribution Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: CPDN Seasonal Attribution Project Reply with quote

http://attribution.cpdn.org/index.php

Quote:
Recent extreme weather events have prompted the debate about effects of human activity on the world's climate. Now you can help us to determine the extent to which extreme weather events like the United Kingdom floods of Autumn 2000 are attributable to human-induced climate change. We invite you to download and run high-resolution model simulations of the world's climate on your own computer. By comparing the results of these simulations, half of which will include the effects of human-induced climate change, and half of which will not, we will investigate the possible impact of human activity on extreme weather risk. Thank you for your help, and please join the project!

This project has been developed under the climateprediction.net project with support from WWF International. If you are already running one of climateprediction.net's experiments, or the new BBC Climate Change Experiment, then PLEASE allow your current experiment to finish before starting your Seasonal Attribution experiment. This project has fairly high computing requirements, including 1GB RAM: if your computer does not meet these, we suggest you try one of the main climateprediction.net experiments.

* CPU: Pentium 4, 2.4GHz (or equivalent, or higher!) is the minimum CPU suggested to complete a single simulation in under 4 weeks if run continuously. Slower processors will take longer.
    * RAM: 1GB of RAM is suggested, as the simulation takes up typically between 150-450MB of memory.
    * Disk space: 500MB of hard disk space should suffice.
    * Supported platforms: Windows XP/2000/NT and Linux.

Team created Very Happy

Badges:
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 gigglybyte of RAM Shocked ?

What a porker Confused !

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPDN keeps creating new projects in which new teams need to be created. Why not just make a new client that does the same thing.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until they figure out a way to not have work units that run for a year, I can't really contribute like I'd want to. It's just too much commitment.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ones take 19 days approx on an Athlon 2800+

Sadly I've had to detach as I encountered the same problems as occurred with the other CPDN projects I've crunched.

The dreaded -161 xfer error

Badges:
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give it a look, but considering that I only have 1 GB of RAM, if the thing starts swapping too much, that'll be the last WU #Splat Them look like some hefty requirements.

As to CPDN itself, I gave up after several sulfer 4.22s just didn't like my computer. I'd get from 48-96 hours in and they be dieing on me... Not gonna try another sulfer till they get something worked out (perhaps 4.23)

Too bad, they don't have config options, to restrict the thing to Hadsm, until they get that worked out...

Edit: it's estimating 406 hours (aka 33 days) for my Athlon 64, but hasn't started crunching yet, so that value could be wildly subject to change after it gets underway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: