KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Closing - Boinc - Pirates going away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Project Closing - Boinc - Pirates going away Reply with quote

Quote:
When the question has come up before, I always said that Pirates@Home would stay up until late June. Well, it's now getting to be late June, and it's time to shut 'er down.

The Pirates@Home project and web site will shut down sometime in the late morning (EST) on Friday, June 24th, 2005.

We will continue to run both Sextant and Starboard, as able, until the shutdown. I hope to have one more round of Sextant for testing.

If there is time, there may also be one more round of Starboard. I've been working on porting xscreensaver GL 'hacks' of progressive complexity, and the next one has what I hope is only a small problem before it is ready. But maybe not...

I have to say that I think this little project has been quite a success, both for testing screensaver graphics for Einstein@Home (the original intent) and for testing BOINC in general. And I have to give credit for that to the Gentlemen and Ladies of the crew. Even if you just ran a workunit and it ended with an error and you got no credit at all, the feedback you and your machine provided helped contribute. And of course there have been many willing to contribute more than that, such as feedback in the forums, as well as the translations of the screensaver description. Thank you all for all your contributions.

A hearty "Arrrr!" to all the Pirates crew, and bon voyage!

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it served its purpose and now it is time to take over other projects.

Ni
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like KWSN ended up in position #8. Certainly respectable although the french ended up right above us... Mad Oh well. PGGBs are still in order!

#ni-1

Now this brings up an interesting issue for my stats - do I leave Pirates@home on there and just mark it as inactive or should I just delete the whole project form the site? Since There was minimal credit handed out and no science was being done I am somewhat tempted to just drop it. KWSN's 4,600 cobblestones are minimal when compared to the 21 million we have in combined BOINC stats. Comments? Smile
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say dump it like a stack of hot potatoes and maybe take a look at one of the newer projects like Orbit or BURP to add.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it for a month or so and then drop it, while people wrap up, morn, etc.. That way they can ohh yea i finished 8th overall etc.. then after a month and they've forgotton it and orbit@home has started work replace it with that or Burp
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerrabbit wrote:
I say dump it like a stack of hot potatoes and maybe take a look at one of the newer projects like BURP to add.

Ni

There's a new project called BURP Confused ?

Seems to me that project FART can't be far behind Shocked !

I'll be all over that one like Michael Jackson on little boys Cool !
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Pirates has opened up membership, and after getting curious about it's re-appearance since Einstein is finished, I joined up to find out what's going on. They're doing some website/forum testing for some projects now, but no WUs are out there, at least of recent...

Probably nothing for us to crunch as of yet, though some might be interested to hear of it's re-appearance as a project...
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know Einstein still has work.

Ni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: