KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't connect to project?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swngbaby
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Can't connect to project? Reply with quote

Hey guys, my main shrubber, a dual P4, stopped being able to connect on the 6th. I uninstalled & reinstalled the BOINC client which got it to work over night, but on the 7th it was dead again.

Now I can't get it to connect at all. The options box is so limited in what you can set the manager to do ...I have no idea why it stopped working or how to fix it. Everything else on my computer works fine ...just no BOINC.

My Mac still connects fine using the same connection (office drop) as does the PC in my home office.

It seems that this all happened within a few days of me hooking up my new Dell 24" LCD monitor, but I have no idea how that could have effected BOINC (though the built in card reader did screw up my acces to network-mounted drives). ...maybe there's something to that?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dale
Ib Rasmussen
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer a couple of thoughts, but probably not a solution.

Changing monitor shouldn't influence BOINC in any way. I recently changed to a 20" Samsung LCD without any adverse effects. OK, Rosettas graphics doesn't rotate with the rest of the windows if you swivel the screen 90deg, but that's all.

A built-in card reader will occupy perhaps 4 driveletters, and it will take them in the beginning of the alphabet, so if you used to have your network drives there, that would explain the screw-up. (I'm assuming you are running Windows.) Move the network drives to the other end of the alphabet, to clear that up.

MPFC scripts: www.ibras.dk
Swngbaby
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've already fixed the drive letter issue, I just thought it worth mentioning as it *may* have some correlation to the problem with the BOINC manager connecting. Sad

...I'm losing my main shrubber here!!! Shocked
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really offer much in the way of suggestions for you either. Confused Which version of BOINC are you running? And have you checked all your settings in the BOINC manager? I upgraded to 5.2.13 a few days ago and I've noticed that the options are a bit different, e.g. under the Commands heading you can choose between Network Activity always available, based on preferences, or suspended.
*shrug* I know it isn't much of a suggestion because you've probably gone through all your settings a million times. Embarassed

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might help if you copy/paste some lines from the "Messages" tab. Select the last few lines with any error messages and use the button on the left to copy them and then paste them here. Are you behind any kind of firewall that might be blocking things? The windows XP firewall has been known to interfere with BOINC sometimes.
Ib Rasmussen
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come to think of, that I've had problems with boinc v.5.x.x, when installing it as a deamon, so it runs, even when nobody is logged on to the machine.

You haven't by any chance installed it like that?

MPFC scripts: www.ibras.dk
Swngbaby
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try that the second time I installed it. I've just uninstalled, and delted the folder that contained BOINC. After a clean install, it is now working, but I aam not able to reattach to Rosetta (it looks like their site is dead). I've also been unable to attach to Predictor (my backup project) so I've attached to a 3rd (World Community grid) which seems to be working fine and a 4th (boincsimap) which is also working fine.

I've joined The Knights Who Say Ni! for both. Smile

Thanks for the help guys, I'm back on the shrubbing wagon, even if it's on different projects. #ni-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: