KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Folding Stat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Strange Folding Stat Reply with quote

There is a Folding user called "Silicon_Wars_a_New_Hope" who is a member of team "Overclockers Australia".

This folder is racing up the Folding chart and is currently in position # 40.

His average daily production is 68,139, very impressive (see stats Here).

What is even more impressive (or confusing) is that these fantastic figures are from only 19 CPUs (see Stanford stats Here).

This works out to 3,586 points per CPU per day.

The most points offered per Work Unit is 600 for GROMACS 1140 - 1150. This would mean that each of the user's 19 CPUs was processing six GROMACS per 24 hours !!!

Stanford allows between 14 and 30 days per GROMACS Work Unit.

Maybe he's using 19 of the new Super Pentium-9 CPUs @ 20 GHz ???
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of smells of the borging that went on in one of the Mac teams... MacRumors? Seems a chap wrote a little thing that he snuck into the P2P network that aujomagically borged peep's's machines but goofed up because the borging didn't get a new download from Stanford so the CPU identification in his "package" stayed the same. He was caught and the team docked something like 300k points.

Is Pandie's crew aware of this "situation"?
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would say a lab image do the same thing? If installed on one machine a ghost image created, then put on say 50 lab machines?
Millennium Knight
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that his stats are legit, although I have no idea how he does it. I think that I remember him climbing the charts in the Distributed Folding project. He apparently has some graphics-processing clusters available to him from time to time and he uses Distributed Processing projects to burn in the hardware. My guess is he creates virtual servers on the clusters which are clones of each other and he just lights up a lot of instances. If they are image clones then Stanford can't tell them apart and only counts several instances. I think he had over 400 processors running the Distribute Folding project way back when. My memory isn't what it used to be, so it may have been a different project altogether.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: