KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a curious outsider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirnotappearinginthisfilm
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: a curious outsider Reply with quote

a friend of mine refered me to the boic website and i was curious as to what the purpose is. and when i saw your team name i was really intrigued. so could somenone offer me some info on what i would need to do to help the team out
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir bigoldlongnameperson, stick around someone will be here shortly to tell you all you need to know about BOINC and then some. I am a folding pimp so I can't help you out. FAH is a much better project.

Beware of the looney magnet it will scramble your brains real tight. #ni-1 #ni-1
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome sirnotappearinginthisfilm! #ni-2

BOINC is a framework for distributed computing. Basically if a group of scientists decides they have a problem that will take thousands of years of CPU time on a computer to solve, they can set up a BOINC server and write a client program that runs under BOINC. Then people from all over the world can attach their computer(s) to the project and help the scientists out by donating spare CPU time to them.

For example seti@home analyzes radio telescope data for signs of alien intelligence. For them to do this "in house" would take a very large super computer that costs millions of dollars. Instead, they split the data up into small chunks and send them out to the hundreds of thousands of computers that are attached to the seti@home project.

Seti@home is the largest BOINC-based project but there are several others as well. I run a BOINC stats website that lists the projects and brief descriptions of what they do. It can be found at http://stats.kwsn.net. Also on that website is a button that will let you chat with some of the team in real time on the EFnet IRC chat network.

As for how you can help the team... well BRING US A SHRUBBERY! (We sometimes call the "work units" we do for projects "shrubs") The more we do, the closer we get to our goal of world domination! So if you haven't created an account yet then click here to create a new account that is already associated with our team. If you already signed up for an account, go here instead to join the team. Then download and install the BOINC client and attach to the project. It really is that simple!

If you have any problems or just want to chat, feel free to use the "Chat now!" button on my stats web page. Depending on the time of day, it may or may not be busy but if you hang around long enough, someone will see you and say "Ni!" Smile

#ni-1
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, MacG. #ni-1

Welcome, sirnotappearinginthisfilm.
I'm BOINCing on one computer, and Folding on another. With Folding@home all you're doing is protein folding shrubs. With BOINC, you can sign up for a number of different projects and the BOINC program automatically switches between the shrubs.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
sirnotappearinginthisfilm
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to you all. i can now claim myself as a knight who says ni. i appreciate the help guys. #ni-1
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that there are protein folding projects that run on BOINC, so you need not stray from boinc if you really want to fold. Now if Stanford would just extract their craniums from their rectums and convert to Boinc... Rolling Eyes
Silly American Kanigit
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sir Verylongnamethatishardtorememberhowtospellandisnotappearinginthisfilm.BOINCawayasfastasyoucanandtrytoavoidthepenguins.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyv wrote:
Not to mention that there are protein folding projects that run on BOINC, so you need not stray from boinc if you really want to fold. Now if Stanford would just extract their craniums from their rectums and convert to Boinc... Rolling Eyes

At least they have been working on a boinc port of f@h just haven't opened it up to the masses and they won't go 100% boinc.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
jonnyv wrote:

At least they have been working on a boinc port of f@h just haven't opened it up to the masses and they won't go 100% boinc.

Yes...that's the cranium extraction part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: