KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sun Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Sun Question Reply with quote

Riddle me this and I shall join your team! Well, regardless, got to go with the knights either way.

I've right at 6,000 units completed and I've just brought two Sun 280R Servers online for the project. However, they are a wee bit (crapload) slower than I expected. What, pray tell, can I do to optimize these beasts?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if we knew which project...

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Atch1 Reply with quote

Indeed! This is the standard Seti@Home project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

Location: Danish kvadrant, Greater Copenhagen area, formerly of the Orion Beltway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Atch1 Reply with quote

null wrote:
Indeed! This is the standard Seti@Home project.

Your memebership application have been approved.

According to the rules section VII, subcategory 11 you have been granted a full and complete pardon, there is still the matter of candid behaviour, but this being the quest for good, we see little reason to press on with the inquisatory computations.

I bid you NI!

#ni-1
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Seti and what OpSys are the SUNS running?

null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Seti & Sun Versions Reply with quote

On the Suns I am running Sun OS 5.9.
Seti version is: setiathome-3.03.sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7

There is nothing else installed on the Suns right now, so I was rather surprised at the performance. Suggestions?

Dave
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Not sure if we have any SUN OS experts, but I am moving this thread to the "Ye Olde Help Scrolls" discussion area. I will leave a shadow copy of it here.

Welcome to the team! And Ni!

Your Alpaca has ben shipped.

KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

Location: Danish kvadrant, Greater Copenhagen area, formerly of the Orion Beltway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seti & Sun Versions Reply with quote

null wrote:
On the Suns I am running Sun OS 5.9.
Seti version is: setiathome-3.03.sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7

There is nothing else installed on the Suns right now, so I was rather surprised at the performance. Suggestions?

Dave

BOINC???

I think we should be told.

#ni-1
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the 3.03 indicates classic...

null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Not BOINC Reply with quote

*chuckle* Nope, not BOINC -- the old version. How is the BOINC Version? Obv I have not used it NOR kept up with the latest gimcrackery.

Smile

Dave
null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Alas Reply with quote

Whooops. Well, I've determined I'm now screwed as I seem to be one of those folks who's email address has changed.

I figured I would install the BOINC Clients (which I will have to do anyway) but the account key business and all that....hmmmmm, maybe I can restore the domain ..... ah well. I should not have stood up when I was not being seen.

Dave
KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Alas Reply with quote

null wrote:
Whooops. Well, I've determined I'm now screwed as I seem to be one of those folks who's email address has changed.

I figured I would install the BOINC Clients (which I will have to do anyway) but the account key business and all that....hmmmmm, maybe I can restore the domain ..... ah well. I should not have stood up when I was not being seen.

Dave

Classic rules, alsas progress is sometimes a masqurade of digress. I have lost my borgs across Sol 3, and are merely BOINCing at the home komputer. Woefully slow, have just today (November 7th!!) completed the first shrub since November 7th.

Despite this you likely need to "upgrade" to the BOINC client..

#ni-1
Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the successful membership! You have exceeded our strict requirements. Now you are among an honored few. Ni!

The servers wouldn't be the Special Edition Crapmaster 9000 (tm), would they?
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Question Reply with quote

null wrote:
Riddle me this and I shall join your team! Well, regardless, got to go with the knights either way.

I've right at 6,000 units completed and I've just brought two Sun 280R Servers online for the project. However, they are a wee bit (crapload) slower than I expected. What, pray tell, can I do to optimize these beasts?

Dave

I think the major problem is that SPARCs are slow as crap as far as raw number crunching goes. If you moved to boinc, you might be able to extract a little extra performance via the compile-your-own option, but I wouldn't expect miracles.
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Question Reply with quote

null wrote:

Dave

I'm hardly an expert, but I used to run Seti@Home on a bunch of Sun Ultra 10's and Sun Blade 100's ... Slow, slow, slow, but having access to 10 of them made up for it. Built-in queing is a definite advantage for BOINC.

One advantage the Suns had with SETI is they run efficiently with any work units, where some computer (P3 especially) were very slow with Very Low Angle Range work units. I used to feed all my VLAR's to the Suns so my P3 would keep running fast. I have no idea if BOINC suffers from similar efficiency problems, but it seems likely that some BOINC projects might run more efficiently on your Suns. Finding out which one is best might be hard to do though.
null
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Heya!

Thanks for all the comments. I will install the BOINC clients on all my systems and start anew I suppose. Alas and alack...who would 'ave expected the Lark vomit.

SO! I will now contribute the following processing power to you knights in exchange for a few virtual shrubberies.

2 Sun 280Rs
4 Sun V240s
10 IBM e310's (I think)
2 IBM 305s
1 Sony home PC

and, of course, my laptop.

Dave
#ni-1
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks! Reply with quote

null wrote:

SO! I will now contribute the following processing power to you knights in exchange for a few virtual shrubberies.

#ni-1

Here are your virtual shrubberies Cool .

You have five days to begin producing multitudinous amounts of pointage for the team or else the shrubs will begin to explode Twisted Evil .

#ni-2

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Question Reply with quote

wohoo! another BOINCer! As was pointed out above, you might want to try a couple different projects. My laptop (1.3 GHz pentium-M) kicks my 2600+'s tail on seti@home but is significantly slower doing LHC@home work units. There are so many factors that influence performance... I think in this case it is the huge L2 cache on the Pentium-M (1 MB). Seti@home probably acesses memory in a fashion that yields higher cache hit ratios than LHC@home.

That being said, the only projects up and running right now are seti and climate prediction. But predictor and LHC should both be coming some time soon... hopefully Confused

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:

One advantage the Suns had with SETI is they run efficiently with any work units, where some computer (P3 especially) were very slow with Very Low Angle Range work units. I used to feed all my VLAR's to the Suns so my P3 would keep running fast. I have no idea if BOINC suffers from similar efficiency problems, but it seems likely that some BOINC projects might run more efficiently on your Suns. Finding out which one is best might be hard to do though.

Some work units do still take longer than other but the beauty of BOINC is that the work units that take longer also give you more credit so in the end it doesn't really matter.

And of course don't forget to check your BOINC stats on my BOINC stats website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: