KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CJ] Why Can't I Own Canadians?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: [CJ] Why Can't I Own Canadians? Reply with quote

** I have placed this thread in "Court Jester" as I feel the content is very "tongue in cheek". Our illustrious admins may feel it should reside elsewhere. **

Background:

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show.
Recently, she said that as an observant Orthodox Jew, she holds homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

"Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.
I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.
When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination, end of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

a)When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b)I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c)I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d)Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e)I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f)A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g)Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h)Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i)I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j)My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan."

MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

Location: In his mad-scientist lab working on yet another plan for World Domination(tm)!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion this is neither funny nor is it appropriate subject matter for this forum.

AMD AthlonII X3 450 / Intel Celeron M @ 1.3GHz
She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... The subjectivity of humor. I found it HILARIOUS! Thanks for posting it.

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thot it was pretty funny -- 'specially since I've heard Dr. Laura's show and I think she might just support selling teenage children into slavery.
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an un-funny aspect to it, but the same can be said of most things that are funny. As to what forum to post it in, I don't think we have a Obnoxious Radio Hosts Skewered on their Own Bigotry forum (ORHSOTOB), so I guess it will have to stay here. Wink

ni! i!u
TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What god wants god gets, god help us all?
Roger Waters

As a fellow Canadian I regret to inform everyone that we are already owned by the U.S. Perhaps the U.N. will save us? NOT!

Wink
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn wrote:
As a fellow Canadian I regret to inform everyone that we are already owned by the U.S. Perhaps the U.N. will save us? NOT!

Wink

Jees, if I didn't know you Tony, I would think you were being completely cynical. Laughing Laughing
Cow_tipping
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorKong wrote:
In my opinion this is neither funny nor is it appropriate subject matter for this forum.

Maybe the topictitle was adapted, but i had received this same message a year or so ago. It was then focused on homosexuals and the punishment required for this.
I thought it was funny and have forwarded it to a popular gay radio jockey here in Holland. He thanked me for it.

Being so, it might be funny for American people. The Canadians have only 1 neighbouring country, and who wants to have an American as a slave?? Shocked
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cow_tipping wrote:
Being so, it might be funny for American people. The Canadians have only 1 neighbouring country, and who wants to have an American as a slave?? Shocked

I'm afraid the answer to that might be Other Americans. Embarassed Wink Embarassed

ni! i!u
MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

Location: In his mad-scientist lab working on yet another plan for World Domination(tm)!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that the subject matter of this post is not appropriate for posting ANYWHERE on kwsnforum.com, and I stick by this statement. What one has here is an attack on both the orthodox jewish beliefs AND, by implication, a lot of fundamentalist christian beliefs as well. This raises a LOT of worm-cans about various hotly-debated issues of morality in today's society. Issues best left OFF this forum. Some have stated that 'Dr. Laura' is bigoted. Maybe so. However, this attack on her is bigoted as well. I do not like Dr. Laura, and I like her demeanor on her show even less. But the limit of my displeasure is a refusal to listen to her show.

It is, in my opinion, barely tolerable to discuss comparative politics and economic systems on this forum. They, however, are the works of humankind, and are up for legitmate discussion and argument on their merits. Religion, however, is the Work of God (to that religion's various adherents), and as such will engender extreme emotional responses. One can not conduct a debate on the merits of one religion over another. Nor can one conduct a debate on the merits of religious-based comparative morality. It is a matter of personal intrepretation between the believer and their personal diety.

We should not, no matter how offensive the beliefs are to OUR belief system, be bashing the belief systems of others here in this place. It offends the beliefs of those being bashed. It offends the belief systems of un-involved spectators. And, it (at least it should) offend the belief systems of those doing the bashing. And finally, it should offend the belief systems of those of an atheistic bent. In short, this type of post should offend dang near EVERYONE, and as such is NOT appropriate for this public, 'neutral' forum.

Now, I *could* have censored this post, but I had hoped that we all could see the inappropriateness of it and avoid argument over it. I guess that I was hopeing that the original poster might have realized this and self-censored it. Looks like I was mistaken.

AMD AthlonII X3 450 / Intel Celeron M @ 1.3GHz
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not offended, actually more offended by your responce and represive overtones

Help help i'm being repressed!!!

Like most people except you who responded took it as it was posed in the forum it was posted as entertainment and something sorta funny. Just like people can laugh at blonde jokes, or other racial jokes. Lighten up a bit, it was posted you didn't censor it thank alah, god, Odin, Thor, Loki, etc..

Now where did i put my money... #alien
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorKong wrote:
(snip).... (/snip) I guess that I was hopeing that the original poster might have realized this and self-censored it. Looks like I was mistaken.

When I originally started this thread, I prefaced it by saying that "The Court Jester Speaks" may not be the appropriate section of this forum and that the admins may want to relocate it, e.g to "KWSN Round Table".

By it's very name, this board is a "Forum" and according to the dictionary, a Forum is "a public meeting or assembly for open discussion".

IMHO, any subject is therefore fair game so long as the discussion does not turn into a 'Flame-Fest', outright hate-mongering, defamation or posts laced with foul language.

The post in question was not my creation, I meerly passed it on as an item which would I had come across and, just as it did to me, would evoke thought and consideration of the questions being asked. Also, I just happen to be Canadian, so the title was what brought me to the item in the first place.

BTW, although it is not really pertinent, up to the age of 13, I was brought up to the beliefs and doctrines of the Church of England (Anglican). Since that point, if asked, I will readily inform people that I am "agnostic with atheistic tendencies", but I have an immense curiosity regarding all religions and have had discussions with representative of many different ones without offending them or being offended myself.

Everyone has the right to have their 'opinion' and to expess it clearly. All others have the right to agree or disagree with that opinion and to also express their side. An open forum is 'the best' place for opinions to be discussed, as otherwise things could disgress to 'physical' disagreement, which, if you think about it, is probably how the majority of all the wars ever waged have been started..... over Religion.

Finally, if the administrators of this Forum wish to delete this thread, that is their prerogative. I can only express my hope that this board continue to allow free interaction to continue.
She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my turn.

Please! There is no belief system bashing going on here.

Has ANYONE here been offended by this post? (Other then MK who might want to lighten up just a tad)

I agree, this is, and should be, an open forum. I am a firm believer in freedom of speech. I'm not sure who, but someone once said, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend your right to say it." Or somehting like that.

That said, I think we should not tolerate hate speech, profanity, or flame-wars. As this is a forum that is open to all ages. Were it an adults only forum, I would have no problem with the profanity.

Religion, politics, how to spell looney, and others should be open to debate.

It has been my experience that the membership here seems to be of WAY above average in the IQ department, and as such are usually more tolerant of differing ideas and ideals.

My $0.02 worth.

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

Location: Danish kvadrant, Greater Copenhagen area, formerly of the Orion Beltway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cow_tipping wrote:
...The Canadians have only 1 neighbouring country, and who wants to have an American as a slave?? Shocked

Try counting your neighbouring countries once more, you missed at least one.

#ni-1
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorKong wrote:
... It is, in my opinion, barely tolerable to discuss comparative politics and economic systems on this forum.

Oh give me a break. You LOVE this sort of arguement, and thrive on writing long responses that stir-up other people, especially people like me. That's OK - please don't stop - We love you for it. Smile

She Turned Me Into A Newt wrote:
It has been my experience that the membership here seems to be of WAY above average in the IQ department, and as such are usually more tolerant of differing ideas and ideals....

And we are all stunningly handsome too! Wink

ni! i!u
TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all the fuss?! Neo will get us out of the Matrix soon, don't worry everyone!

T.
Sir Cracked of the Mind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! Why would anybody want a Canadian as a slave, all they do is sing about lumberjacking whilst wearing womens clothes. and host very strange websites.

#ni-1

On a more serious note I felt it was an attack on my lifestyle by bigoted dried up old hag of a woman (in my opinion), but like most people I have broad shoulders and a duck like back which sheds the rantings of extremist of all persuasions like the glistening drops of water falling from above,

Desiderata
Go placidly Amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their stories.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly to the council of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the Universe no less than the trees
and the stars; you have a right to be here;
and whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labours and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be careful.
Strive to be happy
Written by Max Ehrmann 1927

A far better theme for life than any religion Iv'e ever come across.

Last edited by Sir Cracked of the Mind on Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since we have had a nice debate. Personally, I did not take offense to the thread. My perspective was that it was making fun of the bigots who want to use the Bible to prove that everything they say is right.

I did enjoy the different opinions on the thread. Sometimes I forget that I need to look at different sides of a subject.

Best Regards,
Lady_DC

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the piece as attacking hypocrites who selectively use religion as a tool to promote their own agendas. Has the one called Brian taught us nothing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: