KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Philae phones home this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Philae phones home this weekend. Reply with quote

Good News!!
The lander portion of the ESA Rosetta Mission, Philae comet lander 'wakes up' from hibernation to resume Rosetta mission after 72 day nap.
It appears it tried several times to make contact earlier but didn't have enough energy. Now closer to the sun, it may be getting charged up and continue to send data and start the science experiments it was designed for.

Rosetta mission’s chief scientist, Matt Taylor, famous for tattoos that include Rosetta on one leg, said "A message came up on my phone and I was like, ‘What?’ and Philae was like, 'Hey Dude I'm awake!', and I was like 'No way!' and Philae was all like 'Way'.
Then Philae sent an awesome 85 second signal.... I tweeted back, 'Rest up 'lil buddy, we'll chat later".

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Good KNight sweet prince Reply with quote

They are switching off the communications with Philae to reserve wattage for the end of the Rosetta mission when the orbiter will be crashed into the comet.
Despite the fact that 'lil Philae bounced around the comet when its harpoons failed to fire,
“The combined achievements of Rosetta and Philae, rendezvousing with and landing on a comet, are historic high points in space exploration.”
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Rosetta bites the dust Reply with quote

Today Rosetta ended it's mission as it was crashed into the surface of the comet after 12 years in the depths of space. It is now too far from the sun to collect enough power to continue sending transmissions.
Launched in 2004, Rosetta traveled nearly 8 billion kilometers and its journey included three Earth flybys and one at Mars, and two asteroid encounters. It arrived at the comet in August 2014 after being in hibernation for 31 months.
“We’ve operated in the harsh environment of the comet for 786 days, made a number of dramatic flybys close to its surface, survived several unexpected outbursts from the comet, and recovered from two spacecraft ‘safe modes’,” said operations manager Sylvain Lodiot. “The operations in this final phase have challenged us more than ever before, but it’s a fitting end to Rosetta’s incredible adventure to follow its lander down to the comet.”

Animated message

pictures of the Rosetta landing

Sir Cracked of the Mind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star-date 234275.039

Captian Jamse T Kirk is ordered to intercept a strange space ship that calls its self 'Rose' it wants to speak with 'The Maker'

I think its a good plot for a movie!

#alien
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: