KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow...wee What bad timing as Seti goes down during the event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Wow...wee What bad timing as Seti goes down during the event Reply with quote

Well if you didn't know already, Seti is down. A day or so, if we are lucky.
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Potm curse strikes again!

#ni-1
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand split cpid... Embarassed

how does it happen?
how does a person fix it?
how can you tell if it has happened to another?

I have asked two or more people to join Wow Challenge under SETI numbers that were wrong.
How can this be avoided in the future?

Inquiring Minds.....
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://boincstats.com/en/page/faq#14
Why do I have duplicate/split accounts in the BOINC combined stats?

The cause of this is the CPID, Cross Project IDentifier. Every project assigns a new user a CPID. It is partly based on the email address you used to sign up, the other part is random.

The CPID is used by BOINCstats to identify a user across projects.

Whenever you sign up with a new project, you'll get a new account on BOINCstats because the CPID is new.

What to do to make sure you'll end up with one BOINCstats account:
•Use the exact same email address for every project.

•Run at least one system with all projects, or one system with project A and B, and one system with project B and C. If there is a project that runs isolated from the other projects, its CPID with never line up.

When you join a new project, this project assigns you a new CPID. This CPID can either change to the same CPID as the other projects, or the other projects change (one by one) to the new CPID.

It is impossible for me to manually edit your accounts to create one account. It would take to much time too do this for everyone. Just wait a while, and your accounts will line up automatically.

One last thing, which is not too important, but nice for the stats: use the same username across projects, otherwise you get a username like 'Al Bundy @ SAH / Al Bundy @ Predictor / A. Bundy @ CPDN'.
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of that excellent explanation from sir spuddly buddly, there is somewhat an easy fix.

Run WUProp on all systems, then whatever else on others. This NCI (non-CPU-intensive) project runs without needing a core for itself, gives you badges if enough work is done, and makes a great catalyst for making sure your CPID stays lined up. It will not matter what other projects you run, because that one project will push data across to others via your machines as you send requests to other projects.

Simple, easy, no worry about a core being eaten and nothing else to have to think about.
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thanks,
Some of that I knew,, all is good info.
The running of WUProp sounds like it might be usable to even out the numbers in a split CPID ... in the long run.
I guess perhaps I am mixing the term "CPID" with "User Id" that results in a split cpid??

The problem I am seeing is with the use of a user ID to register for a contest like the SETI Wow!, how do you pick which ID to use?
We lost a HUGE ammount of points this year to the split IDs.
It must be totally disheartening for the users to Register for a contest then have only a small portion of their work being reported.

Further, it seems there is only a very long term "fix" that would merge split CPID if ALL projects run before a split could be shrubbed on any newly assigned number???
Embarassed
Perhaps I cannot ask the question correctly or the answer is beyond my understanding. The issue I am probably referring to is a CPID split created by seperate Project User ID's.

Thanks for the input and explanations. #ni-2
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what is strange? williamd007 is posting only a few hundred credits a day in WOW ( http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/stats_user.php?userid=9106928&year=&lang=en ), but over 70 000 credits a day according to BOINCstats http://boincstats.com/en/stats/0/user/detail/10089981/lastDays Shocked

Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confront them with it.

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

branjo wrote:
You know what is strange? williamd007 is posting only a few hundred credits a day in WOW ( http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/stats_user.php?userid=9106928&year=&lang=en ), but over 70 000 credits a day according to BOINCstats http://boincstats.com/en/stats/0/user/detail/10089981/lastDays Shocked

This is the result of the split I am talking about and the use of a wrongly created ID. This may have been my own fault in suggesting the wrong ID # or simply him using the number he knows to be his own.
That's why I'm asking:
1. How can you tell which ID to use?
2. How can the problem be corrected?
3. How can the issue be avoided?

I'm really not looking to blame anyone. I see an issue and would like to understand it.
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK. He may join again with his second CPID cae6fe8722f6b53cf5051ff9470e64db question

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurf wrote:
Confront them with it.

I sent an e-mail documenting the issue and asking for help.

Quote:
Hello,
Thank you for your message.
The user "williamd007" apparently 2xmal at Event. The data, which are
connected to the wrong project User ID, I have deleted. I hope the
problems with the credits are solved.
If they persist nevertheless so please inform me again.
best regreds
Dude
PS: Sorry about my bad englisch

They say they fixed the problem but I fear the credits for last week are lost forever. #Mad
There is still a need to find out how to completely avoid this dilema in the future.

EDIT: I don't think they "fixed" anything by deleting data. I don't think they were able to understand the issue. I am unable to get this change made. I sent back a reply to the above requesting that they actually do more to rectify the situation. I don't think I'm getting through to them.
williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: acck Ni! Reply with quote

Yes I rejoined with the other ID number and ended up coming in 10th place on our team. I am not sure how this happened either but will try to remember this for next year. Thank you to Jumping Johnny for pointing this out to me or I would have not known. PS I usually come in 4th or 5th on our team for this so yes...lots of lost credits for me over this.
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighting back up to 10th Team position was admirable, considering you did it with one hand tied behind your back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: