KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subproject? Breakthrough Initiatives launch by Prof Hawking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Subproject? Breakthrough Initiatives launch by Prof Hawking Reply with quote

Quote:
Prof Stephen Hawking has launched a new effort to answer the question of whether there is life elsewhere in space.

The venture is said to be the biggest yet in support of the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence.

The 10-year effort will listen for broadcast signals from a million of the stars closest to Earth.

The £64m ($100m) initiative was launched by the Breakthrough Initiatives group at the Royal Society in London.

Those behind the initiative claim it to be the biggest scientific search ever undertaken for signs of intelligent life beyond Earth. They plan to cover 10 times more of the sky than previous programmes and scan five times more of the radio spectrum, 100 times faster.

It will involve access to two of the world's most powerful telescopes. - the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia and the Parkes Telescope in New South Wales, Australia.

The public will be invited to participate in efforts to find a signal from another world through the SETI@home project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33596271

Badges:
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if some of that will go back into the BOINC side of Berkley to keep it updated enough to get this new data to SETI to be crunched, since the NSF has ceased funding it?

I still think it's great news for SETI and community crunching.

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a BIG DEAL. Very Happy
When the PBS Newshour devotes 12 minutes to the story and makes certain to explain that "everyone can participate via SETI@Home (screensaver)"... as they did tonight,
That tells me there is more interest in this project than we knew. That's good news for Distributive Computing.
I wonder if the new work might be fairly intensive??? The scientists are claiming a 100 fold increase in the "efficiency" of the search program and the involvement of several larger super computers.

Also, half of the project is called "Message" and is designed to come to a consensus to the exact response to any message we might receive.
For this MESSAGE portion of the new program, I'm going to be promoting a campaign for a simple response of "Ni!" #ni-1

NY Times Article
edit: after I posted, I get a BOINC message with this same link.
Quote:
Dr. Werthimer, who will oversee the analysis of data, said it would be open to all, including the nine million users of SETI@home, a free screen saver program that processes SETI data in the background.

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Economist is a widely read Newspaper, recognized around the world - It ran an article on the new Funding - I felt I needed to Post about that...
Quote:
I am tremendously glad to read of the Funding for SETI! As one of millions that try to help them (By using the SETI@home software), I hope everyone is aware that SETI@Home is NOT specifically mentioned as to receiving any funds - SETI itself does, and our efforts (SETI@Home started in 1999) helps THEM, but SETI@Home needs Funding also! There is currently no government funding for SETI research, and private funding is always limited - Berkeley Space Science Lab has found ways of working with small budgets and the project has received donations allowing it to go well beyond its original planned duration, but it still has to compete for limited funds with other SETI projects and other space sciences projects - PLEASE don't forget those of us helping out here, even Funding SETI@Home with our OWN FINANCES! Thank you...
Garry S Shelton, The Knights Who Say Ni!
(on BOINC's SETI@Home Team)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: